Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,110

0 members and 3,110 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid pythons

Thanks

Hybrid pythons

Hey!

I was wondering what the general consensus is on hybrid python species. I personally find them so beautiful, but questionably unnatural (although so are dogs I guess).

What types are there
    I've heard of burmballs (burmese x ball), bateaters (burm x retic), carpalls (carpet x ball)

Can literally any python breed with any python? And with boas?

It's a whole new bizzare world 😂

Thanks

Re: Hybrid pythons

Different dog breeds are all one species - the analogue with snakes would be pairing various BP morphs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    There are also superballs (ball pythons x blood python)
    Boas have amazon tree x emerald tree and yellow anaconda x rainbow boa

I *think* the snakes have to be in the same genus to be crossed (but I could be wrong there)
    For the Horde!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

With the exception of carpondros (GTP x carpet python) I don't really like any of the hybrids.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Crossing a semi-arboreal or arboreal with a terrestrial (or mostly terrestrial) species like balls makes me wonder if they retain more of their arboreal nature or not? Do they still retain their arboreal instinct, but they don't have the body for it anymore? Do only some babies get an arboreal instinct, and some don't?

Anyway, I like carpondros! I think there's nothing wrong with crossing arboreal to semi-arboreal/arboreal, or terrestrial to terrestrial. It's not "natural", but neither is breeding ball python morphs. It's all within the pet population, and doesn't affect the wild population in any way. So if the animal is healthy and thriving, and responsible owners care for them, who cares?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (02-18-2017),Gio (02-16-2017),lotusauriel (09-18-2017),Slither Seeker (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    Ballticulated Python (Ball x Retic)

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    With the exception of carpondros (GTP x carpet python) I don't really like any of the hybrids.
    Not even my Milk X King ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

@ Zinc- I stand corrected . I was mostly thinking pythons. Some of the king/milk/corn combos are insane. Yours is a perfect example. Very nice!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    To each their own.

Personally , I'm not a fan.

I don't think it is the same then breeding "morphs" at all. All morphs come from snakes that were collected in the wild. They are color mutations, much like Albino. They are naturally occurring. We just exploit and expand those traits. Sometimes, selective breeding doesn't just re-create certain colors, but also defective genes that come along with certain ones. But that is a different kind of ethics discussion.

Some of the hybrids being bred come from completely different areas. There is no chance at all that they would "naturally" occur. Look at Blood Pythons and Ball Pythons. Blood pythons come from southeast Asia region, Ball Pythons are found in sub-saharan Africa. Each of them have quite different husbandry needs.
    As is, there are to many snakes that aren't kept properly. Why muddy the pool with snakes that one has NO clue which way they should be kept ?? And going by "looks more this or that" will not help you. There is no way of knowing exactly how much DNA of each is in each individual hatchling. Its not the basic "50/50" or "25/75". That is not the way genetics work.
    So it will all be "trial and error".
    So why ?? Just because it looks cool ? Sometimes the phrase "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

Also, once you breed those hybrids to other snakes, you can end up with hatchlings that look like one particular species, but they truly aren't. And if they get mixed into the gene pool, you may never know what you may have.

So no, I'm not a fan.

But I respect that others may be. We all like different things and have different opinions
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (02-18-2017),BeelzeBall. (02-17-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-17-2017),dr del (02-17-2017),EL-Ziggy (02-17-2017),Sonny1318 (02-17-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    To each their own.

Personally , I'm not a fan.

I don't think it is the same then breeding "morphs" at all. All morphs come from snakes that were collected in the wild. They are color mutations, much like Albino. They are naturally occurring. We just exploit and expand those traits. Sometimes, selective breeding doesn't just re-create certain colors, but also defective genes that come along with certain ones. But that is a different kind of ethics discussion.

Some of the hybrids being bred come from completely different areas. There is no chance at all that they would "naturally" occur. Look at Blood Pythons and Ball Pythons. Blood pythons come from southeast Asia region, Ball Pythons are found in sub-saharan Africa. Each of them have quite different husbandry needs.
    As is, there are to many snakes that aren't kept properly. Why muddy the pool with snakes that one has NO clue which way they should be kept ?? And going by "looks more this or that" will not help you. There is no way of knowing exactly how much DNA of each is in each individual hatchling. Its not the basic "50/50" or "25/75". That is not the way genetics work.
    So it will all be "trial and error".
    So why ?? Just because it looks cool ? Sometimes the phrase "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

Also, once you breed those hybrids to other snakes, you can end up with hatchlings that look like one particular species, but they truly aren't. And if they get mixed into the gene pool, you may never know what you may have.

So no, I'm not a fan.

But I respect that others may be. We all like different things and have different opinions
    Very well put
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-17-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast