Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,355

1 members and 2,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: First BP.

Thanks

Re: First BP.

My BP refuses F/T and only eats live, but I think that's mostly because she's always been a live feeder. Feeding live does come with risks like rat bites, and if she would take F/T I'd only feed that. Glad to see that your baby is in good hands! I had a lot of issues with my setup when I first got my BP, even now it isn't perfect, but Calliope seems to love her home nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OneEyedFox For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

First BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike17 View Post

My god!!! it happened so fast!!!

I'm so excited she is still trying to swallow at this moment!!!

She was on her thing and then realized I was here and went running to her hide LOL!!!

She's still swallowing but she don't drop an eye on me, I'll move back and let her be...

Again thanks a awful lot for the splendid advices!!! BTW I did bought the hair dryer haha thought a good meal was worth some coins

That's great news !!!

After hundreds and hundreds of strike feeding thawed rats and mice - on tongs - it still scares me senseless - it's just so sudden . I must lose concentration or something

The only thing I forgot to mention is that I put a little piece of card / cardboard down on the substrate just in front of the hide entrance -just to lessen the chance of them eating some bark with the rat / mouse .

The good thing now is that you been successful you will be more confident next time and even if it doesn't take it first time , just repeat the the warming and offering until it does strike .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2017 at 04:45 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Is it just me or I can't get in my head: How do they survive in the wild?!?! I mean she stoke the legs (not a ver good bite if I may say) it wasn't the head or the neck lol! then she came out what? an inch out of her hide? she didn't spin a single complete turn for the killing hug, and two seconds later she was like: ok it's dead now it's time to eat

I've seen puppies more aggressive than this morderos killing machine hahahaha!!!

Definitely never gonna feed her live, I fear the mouse can eat my snake LOL!

I totally agree , I also wonder how some snakes survive in the wild

All of my King snakes are 'drop feeders' where I open their viv , check which side they are , then place the warmed up rodent down on some card at the other end of the viv . They will quite often strike at mid air - nowhere near the actual rodent . They all seem to have great eyesight going off the way they follow my fingers around the glass front YET they seem so 'fired up' they take minutes to actually find the warm carcass

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    My BP refuses F/T and only eats live, but I think that's mostly because she's always been a live feeder. Feeding live does come with risks like rat bites, and if she would take F/T I'd only feed that. Glad to see that your baby is in good hands! I had a lot of issues with my setup when I first got my BP, even now it isn't perfect, but Calliope seems to love her home nonetheless.

Maybe worth trying a thawed mouse again using the trusted method shown above ??
    Just takes all the worry away and someone even mentioned they're cheaper than LIVE ones , certainly more convenient .

Thanks

My god!!! it happened so fast!!!

I'm so excited she is still trying to swallow at this moment!!!

She was on her thing and then realized I was here and went running to her hide LOL!!!

She's still swallowing but she don't drop an eye on me, I'll move back and let her be...

Again thanks a awful lot for the splendid advices!!! BTW I did bought the hair dryer haha thought a good meal was worth some coins

Here's a photo of my pair of HC Albino Royals in a synchronised feeding session

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I always wonder how snakes have managed to survive thousands of years without any arms or legs. It's simply amazing to me. My King also occasionally strikes at the air once or twice during feeding, but he's a great feeder, never refused a meal (not yet anyway). My BP almost never misses and usually has great aim and gets the head. Then there's my female corn snake, she's a dainty little eater most of the time. She will literally take the feeder off the tongs ever so gently and slowly lower herself to eat. She doesn't even try to constrict most of the time. It's almost like she went through some sort of upper class etiquette training for table manners! Hahahahaha!!! Makes me wonder how such a gentle, beautiful animal could survive in the wild.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I always wonder how snakes have managed to survive thousands of years without any arms or legs. It's simply amazing to me. My King also occasionally strikes at the air once or twice during feeding, but he's a great feeder, never refused a meal (not yet anyway). My BP almost never misses and usually has great aim and gets the head. Then there's my female corn snake, she's a dainty little eater most of the time. She will literally take the feeder off the tongs ever so gently and slowly lower herself to eat. She doesn't even try to constrict most of the time. It's almost like she went through some sort of upper class etiquette training for table manners! Hahahahaha!!! Makes me wonder how such a gentle, beautiful animal could survive in the wild.
    My adult Amel Stripe corn is also a classy eater .
    He will eat off my hand , he just slithers up to it and kinda slides though it in one motion rather like a whale swallowing plankton if that makes any sense

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    He will eat off my hand , he just slithers up to it and kinda slides though it in one motion rather like a whale swallowing plankton if that makes any sense
    Hahaha, I love it!! My girl is in shed right now, I haven't checked on her yet this morning, but I'm guessing her eyes cleared since I checked on her yesterday, so I'll be feeding her in a few days. I may try to feed her without the tongs. Something tells me she will still be super gentle about it. She only fed "aggressively" once, the one and only time I just dangled the mouse in front of her hide. Typically I will handle my snakes for a bit prior to eating. I know, not everybody's chosen method, but it has worked for me as well as each of my snakes. So I go with it...
    I love the whale eating plankton analogy, btw!! Well said!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Wow!!! what an awesome snake, love that color

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post

Glad to hear that man! I also find out I did something wrong every day, but Kiera seems to like it. I mean she did shed perfectly overnight, she ate the second I put the mouse in there. The reactions are good and that give me a little more confident each time.

BTW next shed and everything, I don't know if I should make the same mistakes to get everything to go so smooth and perfect LOL!I hope my Herpkeeper arrive soon, I don't like trusting these clock therm/hygro.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast