Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,356

1 members and 1,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

First snake, and she's a beauty!

Hi everyone. I've recently purchased a beautiful female ball python. It's been almost two weeks now, and I'm getting concerned. For the first week, I did not feed her (per the instruction of the breeder) leaving her under for a total of 2 weeks. She was fed Saturday (Fuzzy rat pup) and has been in hiding since. I understand she shouldn't be handled for 48-72 hours after, but the constant hiding 4 days later has got me worried. Obviously, I've got no "normal" to compare it to.

Yesterday (72 hours after feeding) I spot cleaned and changed her water. During this process, she struck. I'd been handling her daily since I brought her home and had gone without concern.

Any advice or bit of information I'm lacking (I'm sure there's plenty) would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Mine hide basically 99% of the time, a hiding ball python is a happy ball python (not cruising around looking for a place to feel safe). The strike while spot cleaning just means you set off her instincts. When cleaning I always remove the snake from the enclosure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: First snake, and she's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSteveGuy View Post
    Hi everyone. I've recently purchased a beautiful female ball python. It's been almost two weeks now, and I'm getting concerned. For the first week, I did not feed her (per the instruction of the breeder) leaving her under for a total of 2 weeks. She was fed Saturday (Fuzzy rat pup) and has been in hiding since. I understand she shouldn't be handled for 48-72 hours after, but the constant hiding 4 days later has got me worried. Obviously, I've got no "normal" to compare it to.

Yesterday (72 hours after feeding) I spot cleaned and changed her water. During this process, she struck. I'd been handling her daily since I brought her home and had gone without concern.

Any advice or bit of information I'm lacking (I'm sure there's plenty) would be appreciated!
    They hide a whole lot, it is normal. That's funny she got you while cleaning. I think you'll feel better knowing your BP probably has a good feeding response. Or maybe she just got scared by the activity in her cage. I remove my bp into a different box while I clean out their enclosure.

Also possible that the daily handling has been causing her to stress up over time, making her quick to strike defensively. Mostly people handle every other day or less often.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    First off, welcome....

At least for a while, until she is settled in and eating regularly, I would keep handling to a bare minimum. Your new snake is probably stressed. You've got 30 years to handle your snake, let her get settled. My rule of thumb is usually bare minimum handling until 3 consecutive feedings without refusal.

It's not unusual for your snake to hide for days on end, that's what snakes, especially BPs do. No need to worry there. They will hide for longer periods to digest or if a shed is coming. Still no need to worry.

As for the strike, sounds like a defensive strike to me. I usually only spot clean with the animal in the enclosure, but I make sure he/she knows it's me before I move anything around. For anything more than spot-cleaning poop/urates or changing the water dish out I will remove the snake and clean the enclosure while keeping the snake in a separate tub.

We're here if/when you have more questions.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-02-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    so u have a new female BP and she's a beauty but no pictures to show??!! come on now. make with the pix!!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2017),Lizardlicks (06-02-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Cleaning time is handling time. Snake comes out when you clean especially a new one that likes to hide. The animal could be in feeding mode and you don't know it because you can't see it. Once you get to know your animal you will be able to determine what mood the animal is in. Almost all of my older girls allow me to mess around in their tubs without incident if I have to, but even these I will touch to let them know it is not time to eat. Generally like I said before though, cleaning time is handling time. I usually take the time to do a little enrichment. Tub is opened and around my neck they go until I am done doing what I have to do. A few will even come out on their own and climb up my arm. Repetition and schedule is the key to training behaviors into these guys. Even my nicest girl would go after my hand on feeding night if I stuck it in her tub unannounced because they smell rat, the lights are down and it is Saturday. After feeding lights go back on and I will up any rat mess. They come out of feeding mode as soon as the lights go back on because this is the pattern that has been followed for years.

Thanks
    I'd be willing to bet she is in shed or going into shed. Nothing to worry about regardless.