Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,733

1 members and 2,732 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Julius Ebenezer Squeezers just died

Not sure what happened but my sons bp seemed ok 3 hrs ago and just found him upside down dead. Looks like either regurgitation or vomit beside him. He's in a fairly large terrarium but heat tape set at 90 on thermostat. Fogger maintaining between 55-70 depending on where you check it. Temps at 88-90 and 76-80. Only had him 3 weeks and he ate great first two feedings. Hopper week 1. Got it down in like 5 minutes. We weighed him and he was only 99g so that seemed a little low. Decided that since he did so well on hopper to try a slightly larger feeder. Small small adult. Only slightly larger than week 1. Took him longer but he got it down and no issues. Same on week 3. Fed this past Thursday and he acted really odd. Almost like he decided he didn't want it after he started. He did get it down and everything seemed good. We did notice he looked as though he may have been getting ready to go into shed. His head was turning slightly pink and eyes had a gray color instead of red. Was told if he ate then fine and if not then fine. No poop yet from 3 and now I have to tell my 7 year old that his birthday present died out of nowhere. Using eco earth as substrate and spring water changed almost daily. We have been constantly monitoring everything in hopes of having him for a long time. Did we do something wrong and if so what? We will definitely be getting another and don't want the same thing to happen again. Please help us figure this out. My son is going to be heartbroken on Valentines Day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    Sorry for your and his loss. Pictures tell a thousand words. The only sure way to know is to take to the vet for a necroscropsy (spelling)
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Julius Ebenezer Squeezers just died

i am so sorry for your and your son's loss. this is never something easy and you seemed to be doing everything right for him.
    like the previous post says: husbandry pictures always help, but we can't diagnose anything from here; a necropsy will help if you need the peace of mind.
    again, i'm so sorry for your loss. it's never an easy thing.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

daddiojones73 (02-14-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    It sounds like you did everything right... The only thing id ask you is , where did you buy it?
    Chain Pet Stores are selling some terriblely unhealthy reptiles. I read post after post about them dying within a month.. If thats so and you got him at Petsmart or somewhere then Id go with a reputal breeder instead. There are several on here. If im wrong and you bought from a reputable reptile breeder Id say sometimes we just dont know they are sick in someway. Especially when their young. Better luck.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We did research before hand and learned quickly to stay away from petsmart and places like that. Found a local breeder that has been raising snakes for around 40 years. I plan on giving him a call and see if he has any ideas. Gonna skip the vet and go back to a clean slate. Clean everything very good and try again. Just bummed. Thanks for the condolences.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daddiojones73 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-14-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    So sorry to hear this, both for the animal as well as you and your son. I would definitely talk to the breeder. And I'm glad you decided to clean everything and try again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sorry for y'all's loss.

Hopefully the breeder can help with answers and or good deal on a new snake too.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Spoke with the breeder and he thinks we fed to large a mouse. He handled hopper mice easily so 2 feedings ago got a small adult and he got it down with a little difficulty but did ok. I'd say just slightly larger diameter than largest part of body. Everything seemed ok so last feeding got the same about 8 days apart. He was going into shed and I was a little reluctant to feed but my understanding was that he might eat and might not so I thought I'd let him decide. This time it almost looked like he wanted to eat and changed his mind about a 1/3 of the way down. Started coiling around and I think he was trying to back out of the deal. He did eventually get it down and 3 nights later it came back up and 10 minutes later he was dead. I will never attempt a feeding while they are in the blue again. So we are cleaning everything today and have some f10 in route. Going to sanitize thoroughly and get reset. Breeder has several 2 and 3 gene morphs that he was going to keep for himself that are no longer juveniles. Enchi pastel and lesser pastel are 2 he spoke of specifically and said he would make it right. Don't know for sure exactly what that means but he's definitely trying to help out. Hopefully this will give us another shot at a long time friend for my kiddo. I will try and post pics of habitat once we get everything set back up so that I can get suggestions or critiques and make changes if warranted.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daddiojones73 View Post
    Spoke with the breeder and he thinks we fed to large a mouse. He handled hopper mice easily so 2 feedings ago got a small adult and he got it down with a little difficulty but did ok. I'd say just slightly larger diameter than largest part of body. Everything seemed ok so last feeding got the same about 8 days apart. He was going into shed and I was a little reluctant to feed but my understanding was that he might eat and might not so I thought I'd let him decide. This time it almost looked like he wanted to eat and changed his mind about a 1/3 of the way down. Started coiling around and I think he was trying to back out of the deal. He did eventually get it down and 3 nights later it came back up and 10 minutes later he was dead. I will never attempt a feeding while they are in the blue again. So we are cleaning everything today and have some f10 in route. Going to sanitize thoroughly and get reset. Breeder has several 2 and 3 gene morphs that he was going to keep for himself that are no longer juveniles. Enchi pastel and lesser pastel are 2 he spoke of specifically and said he would make it right. Don't know for sure exactly what that means but he's definitely trying to help out. Hopefully this will give us another shot at a long time friend for my kiddo. I will try and post pics of habitat once we get everything set back up so that I can get suggestions or critiques and make changes if warranted.
    make it right generally means they'll replace the animal or refund the money if yal can't agree on a new replacement.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Glad to hear the breeder wants to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast