Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

1 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    And Chip07 is right about the Baytril. My vet told me that she doesn't like to prescribe Baytril to large snakes as the amount needed can damage the tissue at the injection site. I forgot what she prescribed Rosey when she got a sinus infection from pushing on her old cage. She said it was much better for large snakes since the size of the dosage needed wouldn't hurt the injection site. I totally forgot about that lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have no experience with mouth rot but I have had very good luck treating some pretty bad RIs with F10 and a fogger.

Keep in mind I am not vet so what choice you make is up to you.

Thanks

UPDATED with pics 3/3/2017 - Re: Nasty RI - no herp vets I trust - PLS READ!

I just wanted to post an update for anyone who was interested. I realize that by treating this snake at home ourselves, we have gone against EVERYONE'S best judgment (including my own...). However, in this unique case, it seems we have actually done some good.

* We understand that the Baytril may have put things at bay, rather than curing them outright. We will continue to monitor the snake and make sure she is doing well. If she begins to decline again, I WILL tell the owner that it is beyond my capabilities and she MUST take it to a vet.

However, for the time being, things seem to be going well. I appreciate all the help, and - even more so, all the sympathy and understanding. This is the only forum I posted on about this, because I knew it was the only forum that would try to understand my situation and not jump to conclusions or jump down my throat. So, that being said, here are before and after photos of the snake:

* To those who expressed concern regarding Baytril injections: after much research (before anyone here had even mentioned it), we went oral on this one.

AND PLEASE KNOW THAT I AM NOT CONDONING HOME TREATMENT/REMEDIES BY POSTING THIS. I merely want to let everyone know that this snake is NOT dead, and is actually doing quite well as of today. Thank you.
    Last edited by Mindibun; 03-03-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Editing title to show update/photos

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    That looks a lot like my male retic when he had an abcessed tooth. His former owner thought he was just pushing because he was a male looking for a girlfriend - his face would get big like that and then all the sudden it would look almost normal. The infection in his jaw would blow out and drain but then it would heal over, the pressure would build up again over a few months, and he'd start pushing again. It wasn't until he got antibiotics that he healed up and he stopped pushing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12