Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,237

1 members and 3,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Nice litter suprise!

So I had a litter of mice a few weeks ago that had a black, gray, and 2 brown mice in it. I was pretty happy because all my mice are white and I had not seen any genetic differences before, over time I ended up feeding off all but one black male.
    He was the "alpha" of the litter, and was super sketchy. He would BOLT and hide whenever anyone came up to the cage, and would run from you if you tried to pick him up (He never bit/lashed out, just tried to run off) and he would "bully" some of the other mice (Never anything huge, just mild fighting that never amounted to anything, and he would hold down the other mice and clean them often).
    I kept him in my small colony longer than the rest because he was very healthy and a seemed to be a good breeder minus his quirks.

Fastfoward a month or so to now, he has been fed off along with all my other mice, other than 3 pregnant females I had. Now one had a litter 1-2 weeks ago, and the others just had tiers the other day. The one who had them a few weeks ago, they finally started to have fur come in..and I'm happy with the results!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I kind of did something similar when I first started and ended up with all really cool looking mice, I didn't want to feed any of them to my snakes, that was a problem LOL. So I fed off all my fancy mice and now have all white albinos, no problem at all feeding off any of them LOLOLOLOL. I'm slowly doing the same thing with my rats, although for some reason it seems easier to feed off the grey wild looking rats vs the albino, but harder to feed off the fancy ones.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-11-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    They look great! I have a few about a week older. Fed off most of the litter, but kept two back for breeding. A little cinnamon girl and an agouti boy, same color as his mother.

I keep my mice in the closet so the males can't stink up the place. Please pardon the clutter in the background.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks
    Did the white mice have red or black eyes? Red eyed white mice are albino and that's dominant over all other colors, so albino x albino will always give you albino. You may have had a wildie breed to a female to get non albino mice.
    Last edited by bettagurl; 04-02-2017 at 06:00 PM.