Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Rosy boa water question

Hello! I have a question concerning the amount and frequency of water to offer my adult male rosy boa, Palmer. We've had him for a few months, and the experienced breeder (he's been in the snake breeding trade for decades but rehomed his snakes due to his Polio and wanting to spend time with grandkids). When we got him, the breeder said to only offer water twice a month for about 24 hours at a time, as they can sometimes gorge themselves on over drinking. And also, he said to remove water 48 hours bedore and after feeding, as thus can increase likelihood of regurgitation.
    We've been doing this and it's been working wonderfully. Palmer is in great health.
    Now is one of the times he has water and I always feel like he's missing out. We give him a tiny bowl, big enough to drink from of course, but not to soak in. Just now I caught him trying too swim in the water, head submerged and everything. I know some online sources will sources at keep water in too he here constantly, while some will warn this increases humidty too much and can raise their chances of developing a URI. I'd like to know your thoughts and experiences.
    Thank you!
    0.1 Normal, 1.1 Butter, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 Piebald, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Super Mojave, 1.0 Banana, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Black Pewter, 1.0 Champagne, 0.1 Enchi Lesser, 0.0.1 Pastave, 1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider
    0.1 Albino Western Hognose 0.0.1 Western Hognose 1.0 Mexican Black King, 0.1 Albino Nelson Milk, 1.0 Checkered Garter, 1.1 Coastal Rosy Boa, 1.0 Arizona Rosy Boa

Thanks
    I have two Rosy Boas and I keep water in at all times. I don't keep them totally full...probably about half way. I have not had any issues at all. They appear happy and healthy and have not had any regurges.
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

Thanks
    Really? Because I'd love to have water in his tank at all times, specifically a bowl he can at least sit in.
    0.1 Normal, 1.1 Butter, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 Piebald, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Super Mojave, 1.0 Banana, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Black Pewter, 1.0 Champagne, 0.1 Enchi Lesser, 0.0.1 Pastave, 1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider
    0.1 Albino Western Hognose 0.0.1 Western Hognose 1.0 Mexican Black King, 0.1 Albino Nelson Milk, 1.0 Checkered Garter, 1.1 Coastal Rosy Boa, 1.0 Arizona Rosy Boa

Thanks
    I keep water in with my rosys too. Can't say I've never had regurgintation issues, but they were stress related and happened shortly after I acquired them. Now that they've had time to settle in they're doing fine, water and all. Granted, I live in a dry area, so it's easy to keep the humidity down.

This is just speculation on my part, but I don't think the water causes regurgitation. I think it makes the regurge less painful. If you were a stressed out snake who was about to lose your lunch, you'd think that drinking a bunch of water would dilute your stomach acid and make it come up easier. I've seen rosys regurge with water and without, but when they drink water beforehand the regurge doesn't seem to look or smell quite as bad. They also seem to recovered faster after a wet regurge than a dry one.

These are just my observations though. I don't have a lot of experience with rosys. I've only owned mine for a few months. So I tried it both ways, because there were reputable people on either side of the argument, and I found that keeping the water in with them seems to work for me and my snakes. It might be different for others. I'm sure the humidity in your area would factor in, and maybe even the species/locality of the rosys. Mine are Mexican, but non-locale specific, so I don't have any info about where they're from, unfortunately. They came from private owners and pet stores who weren't terribly knowledgeable about them.

Hope that helps! You can always try leaving the water in with him and take it out if there are any problems. As long as humidity stays low I don't think it will be an issue.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!