Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

4 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Am I NUTS or do you feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by kxr View Post
    I'm actually a huge proponent of regulating reptile breeding. If it were to be regulated I feel it would help prevent the individuals interested solely in the money but I could be wrong. Anyone else feel this might be a step in the right direction for responsible reptile breeders? The logical part of my brain also thinks that if this somehow involved teaching selling to responsible keepers it might help prevent species specific regulations... though I know nothing about law so definitely don't quote me on that.
    Imo there should be some kind of regulation or permit required to breed any animal, maybe with a $100~$500 registration fee, depending on the species... LOL. It's a super long shot, but it would at least filter out the random ding dongs who impulsively buy 10 ball pythons for kicks, or throw their two random dogs together for a quick buck. Something like that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm actually a huge proponent of regulating reptile breeding. If it were to be regulated I feel it would help prevent the individuals interested solely in the money but I could be wrong. Anyone else feel this might be a step in the right direction for responsible reptile breeders? The logical part of my brain also thinks that if this somehow involved teaching selling to responsible keepers it might help prevent species specific regulations... though I know nothing about law so definitely don't quote me on that.
    Off toic but I have to answer this.

When does the government involved in one's business has ever solved anything or helped?

I do not need anyone from the government to tell me what I can keep however they do already and therefore I have limitation that I abide by even if in many cases the law make no sense. The last thing I need is people to tell me how to keep my animals based on what they see fit and think they know ......if your husbandry method does not fit their view they will either make you change everything you do and you know work or cease your animals even if you have been doing what you have been doing successfully 10, 15, 20 years...............I don't think so.

Around here USFW doing inspections do know even recognize so basic species so imagine having your animal seized because of that. So imagine what they know about specific species care, and I should let them in charge?

A little example of complete nonsense in France you have a certificate required by the government if you own 25 snakes or more. Now you can own 24 snakes for 2 decades properly caring for them but you decide to add one more and you have to have that certificate.

You have to go and be trained by a professional breeder, usually the cost is $500 to $1000, you must wright an essay on the species, you must be interviewed by a panel of government workers and allow them to come on your premises as they please without any warning, should fail to obtain that certificate they can seize your animals. What makes them think that now that you have 25 snakes you are not capable of caring for them when you have done so with 24? It's just one more way for the government to make money and get involved in your life, nothing more and it really does not accomplish anything.

Usually laws and restriction creates an underground market that I am sure is present in France.

The people not researching animals is not new, many people own dog breeds that are not fit for their life style, they see a puppy they get it not doing any research on needs, temperament, etc, same for other animals.

Education is key not regulation and you will find that usually your biggest issue are not the breeders, yes there are bad seeds here and there but I am pretty sure the number of bad owners or those not researching the animal that they acquire is far greater than the number of bad breeders.

Also in the US we have been struggling for years being under attack from animal right activists so we do not need more regulations that will open the door for more laws and regulations until those animal activists succeed with their agenda.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-09-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-08-2017),Nellasaur (02-09-2017),PitOnTheProwl (02-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2017),Reinz (02-09-2017),SKO (03-10-2017),the_rotten1 (02-09-2017),Trisnake (02-10-2017),tttaylorrr (02-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

When does the government involved in one's business has ever solved anything or helped?

I do not need anyone from the government to tell me what I can keep however they do already and therefore I have limitation that I abide by even if in many cases the law make no sense. The last thing I need is people to tell me how to keep my animals based on what they see fit and think they know ......if your husbandry method does not fit their view they will either make you change everything you do and you know work or cease your animals even if you have been doing what you have been doing successfully 10, 15, 20 years...............I don't think so.

Around here USFW doing inspections do know even recognize so basic species so imagine having your animal seized because of that. So imagine what they know about specific species care, and I should let them in charge?

A little example of complete nonsense in France you have a certificate required by the government if you own 25 snakes or more. Now you can own 24 snakes for 2 decades properly caring for them but you decide to add one more and you have to have that certificate.

You have to go and be trained by a professional breeder, usually the cost is $500 to $1000, you must wright an essay on the species, you must be interviewed by a panel of government workers and allow them to come on your premises as they please without any warning, should fail to obtain that certificate they can seize your animals. What makes them think that now that you have 25 snakes you are not capable of caring for them when you have done so with 24? It's just one more way for the government to make money and get involved in your life, nothing more and it really does not accomplish anything.

Usually laws and restriction creates an underground market that I am sure is present in France.

The people not researching animals is not new, many people own dog breeds that are not fit for their life style, they see a puppy they get it not doing any research on needs, temperament, etc, same for other animals.

Education is key not regulation and you will find that usually your biggest issue are not the breeders, yes there are bad seeds here and there but I am pretty sure the number of bad owners or those not researching the animal that they acquire is far higher than the number of bad breeder.

Also in the US we have been struggling for years being under attack from animal right activist so we do not need more regulations that will open the door for them to succeed in the long term.
    Let me rephrase this a bit, I more so meant that you should need a permit in order to become a breeder. So like you pay a fee, take classes, write a test and then you become permitted to breed reptiles. These classes could focus solely on the ethical side of animal breeding and there doesn't need to be any regulation involved. Sure it won't stop everyone in it for the money but it would stop the fly by nighters.

You could bring up the fact that without any regulation there is no way to find out whether breeders took the course... This is a fatal flaw with my suggestion so something would have to be worked out if it were to be implemented irl but all of this discussion is hypothetical anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Education is key not regulation and you will find that usually your biggest issue are not the breeders, yes there are bad seeds here and there but I am pretty sure the number of bad owners or those not researching the animal that they acquire is far greater than the number of bad breeders.

Also in the US we have been struggling for years being under attack from animal right activists so we do not need more regulations that will open the door for more laws and regulations until those animal activists succeed with their agenda.
    150% on the money!!
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2017)

Thanks

Let me rephrase this a bit, I more so meant that you should need a permit in order to become a breeder. So like you pay a fee, take classes, write a test and then you become permitted to breed reptiles. These classes could focus solely on the ethical side of animal breeding and there doesn't need to be any regulation involved. Sure it won't stop everyone in it for the money but it would stop the fly by nighters.

You could bring up the fact that without any regulation there is no way to find out whether breeders took the course... This is a fatal flaw with my suggestion so something would have to be worked out if it were to be implemented irl but all of this discussion is hypothetical anyway.

Which brings us back to where we started... Idiots ruin everything!
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Which brings us back to where we started... Idiots ruin everything!
    Hmm... Maybe the best solution would be to just exterminate the idiots then

(Kidding of course)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    I think we need a STICKY that says "read the Stickies before you ask a question" Hahahaha
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Am I NUTS or do you feel the same?

Hmm... Maybe the best solution would be to just exterminate the idiots then

(Kidding of course)

Here's a better idea!

Last edited by Reinz; 02-09-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2017),kxr (02-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2017),Trisnake (02-10-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

as I often state in the fish forums, its a FINE line between wanting regulation and uncle sam grabbing the hobbies by the cajones and strangling them. You have to be careful in this scenario...while it would be better for the animals in theory, we as responsible keepers get crushed. The guv'ment doesn't make the distinction between good, so-so, and bad they just shut everything down.

I hate seeing people with red tailed catfish in a 55 gallon tank but if I ask for a ban it will most likely entail ALL south American species, not just rtc's. Same goes for snakes unfortunately.

The best practice is teaching every single person you can about proper husbandry and responsible breeding.

- - - Updated - - -

This. Sorry I didn't see this response before I posted my own.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2017),Reinz (02-09-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

So like you pay a fee, take classes, write a test and then you become permitted to breed reptiles. These classes could focus solely on the ethical side of animal breeding and there doesn't need to be any regulation involved.
    And who would teach and set the standards? Deb hit it out of the park here.

Research is so easy with google OR even the search bar here but people are too lazy.....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (02-09-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast