Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

2 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Am I NUTS or do you feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    I agree 100% and im not trying to be a jerk, I just feel bad for the Animals..I ask questions too, but heck it isn't about how to keep something alive and heathy after I come home from a store wih it in Mid January/Feb. Im big on our rights but with the way I see Pets suffer in the hands of Idiots I think you should have to get some kind of Licence idk. Im even against that like I said I beleive in Our Freedom but this is insane.
    I see the same with Dogs all the time.. Here in NY Pits are breed and breed and leftovers pups that dont sell are thrown out on the steets and then euthanized by the Humane Society. Makes me Sick!
    Im totally on ths same page with you that you should have some knowledge before you are able to buy any pet, I see it as cruelty to not give them what they need. I've seen people jump in buying them and not providing or knowing anything, sometimes they will really take your advice and want to learn how to care for it properly and I love helping the animals by helping them, others continue to ignore your advice saying their snake in a tub with either no heating or unregulated heat mat is fine and is the proper way to do things. You can lead a horse to water comes to mind. I just wish the animals didn't have to suffer because of them .
    Last edited by montymiow; 02-08-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I said the word animal around 100 times before editing, woops
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

2. The Following User Says Thank You to montymiow For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    I am one of those people who has never kept snakes before and to start with I bought 3 however thats were the similarity ends I've been around reptiles my entire life worked in a small pet shop that sold them and I loved taking care of them I've helped my friend who was a breeder (corn snakes,green tree pythons among others) on clean up days. When I decided I wanted to start keeping BPs I spent almost 6 months researching propper care and when I found out that tubs were better for juveniles then tanks were I swapped to tubs I had the tubs set up for 2 weeks adjusting temps and monitoring humidity at the moment there setup isn't pretty but I care more about right than pretty. I had rats and mice in the freezer and had found out were to get live mice if needed they threw me a curve ball by sending the snake that wouldnt eat but thankfully I found this place and was able to get advice on taking care of him and hopefully he will pick up and do good now

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I don't breed so I find it extremely frustrating. Especially the people who want to throw themselves into breeding the most common over populated species around even though they can't be bothered to research on them deeply, keep them correctly or hang onto them for life in the vast majority of cases. Don't, just don't. There's no excuse either, I got my first snake over a decade ago and there were forums and correct info then so I don't have a ton of patience with people who want everything spoon fed to them.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2017),PitOnTheProwl (02-09-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentnoid View Post
    I am one of those people who has never kept snakes before and to start with I bought 3 however thats were the similarity ends I've been around reptiles my entire life worked in a small pet shop that sold them and I loved taking care of them I've helped my friend who was a breeder (corn snakes,green tree pythons among others) on clean up days. When I decided I wanted to start keeping BPs I spent almost 6 months researching propper care and when I found out that tubs were better for juveniles then tanks were I swapped to tubs I had the tubs set up for 2 weeks adjusting temps and monitoring humidity at the moment there setup isn't pretty but I care more about right than pretty. I had rats and mice in the freezer and had found out were to get live mice if needed they threw me a curve ball by sending the snake that wouldnt eat but thankfully I found this place and was able to get advice on taking care of him and hopefully he will pick up and do good now
    NO your not one of those people. Look at what you just wrote hahhaha.. And Im amazed at what you did with your lil guy that wouldnt eat. You are going to be the reason he makes it.
    This site has amazing info and the problem is one thats been discussed.... People wanting or getting Snakes/Pets for the wrong reasons. Impulse ect.. We all know what that is as each human has experienced it.. Kinda like coming home with that new Harley before talking to the wife hahha or new Purse wothout telling Hubby and thats all fun and games until your effecting a living thing that has no choice in the matter...
    Anyway, your a good example bro not what were talking about at all
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    I agree with the what has been said so far, but every so often on various forums I come across the situation where "I just got a (insert reptile) for (insert special occasion) from (insert person) and I need to know what I need to take care of it". Now I know most people with experience would tell them to take it back to the store and get the equipment first, but I don't believe a majority of people would actually do it, serious or not about the hobby.

So now they need correct information quick, already have the reptile and don't have the luxury to spend the months researching the care for that specific animal, what would you do?

I always get a chuckle when I see someone ask a question, then see the same person the next day giving someone else advice on the problem they were just asking about(I purposely left this vague)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec4mia For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I'm not excusing them, but one thing to remember is that there are teenagers and preteens on this forum. Heck they're still learning about life. As a group they can be impulsive and are dreamers (which is good) as well.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec4mia View Post
    I agree with the what has been said so far, but every so often on various forums I come across the situation where "I just got a (insert reptile) for (insert special occasion) from (insert person) and I need to know what I need to take care of it". Now I know most people with experience would tell them to take it back to the store and get the equipment first, but I don't believe a majority of people would actually do it, serious or not about the hobby.

So now they need correct information quick, already have the reptile and don't have the luxury to spend the months researching the care for that specific animal, what would you do?

I always get a chuckle when I see someone ask a question, then see the same person the next day giving someone else advice on the problem they were just asking about(I purposely left this vague)

I agree there are exceptions... And I wouldnt feel upset with the poster if that were the case.... Its really the "just got back from the White Plains Reptile Expo and need to know what I should go buy for my new Blah Blah Blah"
    .....that Im refuring too .....
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    I guess what I am most concerned about, is where will all of these snakes go when they grow up and they lose the brightness of their skin or they become aggressive from being stressed all the time. If someone can't take the time to do simple research I doubt that they could handle a difficult situation. My snake will be alive for maybe a third of my life... It's a massive investment.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cayley For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I'm not excusing them, but one thing to remember is that there are teenagers and preteens on this forum. Heck they're still learning about life. As a group they can be impulsive and are dreamers (which is good) as well.
    You right and I thought about that (almost included it in thread) and wonder what kind of parents they have.. My girls help take care of our 3 dogs but they can never just come home with anything and they wouldnt as they have been taught living things arent a toy... But heck Reinz we can get onto a whole nother story about todays society with that one hahahahaha
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cayley View Post
    I guess what I am most concerned about, is where will all of these snakes go when they grow up and they lose the brightness of their skin or they become aggressive from being stressed all the time. If someone can't take the time to do simple research I doubt that they could handle a difficult situation. My snake will be alive for maybe a third of my life... It's a massive investment.
    And thats what makes me so mad... Its a shame.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast