Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,350

1 members and 1,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Breeder rats

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Breeder rats

The first and only baby since August. Fat lil guy aint he? The male is over a year old and female is under a year. First 2 litters were normal 10-15 babies each. 3rd litter one baby. Is the problem with male or female?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Sounds like a problem with the male or female. I'd give them a few more months to prove themselves. I had a female that had sickly babies and they all died. She had more babies and they are fine. Had some mice that had problems too and they recovered. But if they don't have babies for a few months I'd replace the female and try again, then if you still have problems replace the male. I usually raise up some replacement breeders and keep them on standby in case something like this happens, then I just replace them both and feed them off to my reticulated python HA!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

locolobito (02-07-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To give you an idea I retire males (they work hard) every 6 months and females when the production drops below 8 to 10

You can put a younger male with her see if she produces more or you can put another female with that male.

It's important to retire and start rotating new breeders on a regular basis, breeding takes it's toll on them, and of course ALWAYS hold back future breeders from your largest litters (My hold backs are from litters of 14 min)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

locolobito (02-07-2017)

Thanks
    i have had a problem with my seasoned female breeders and throwing in too young of a guy, he couldn't get the job done because they intimidated him, My older bigger males always got to business. I also had a litter of one when my females accidentally got breed back to back. I never needed to produce high volume so i gave a lot of time in between breeding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ba11er For This Useful Post:

locolobito (02-07-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeder rats

I talked to the hobbyist/breeder that I got my collection from earlier today, he said he does the same thing, replaces males every 6-7 months and females every 8 months. The mice I had froze from the winter weather. Not properly insulated rack. My fault. I have 2 male rats and 2 females. Both males are brothers just a little over a year old. One male prefers a solitary life. Kills anything put in with him. So he is just a pet. Females are a few months apart. Just put the breeder male in with younger female. Thank you for advice

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk