Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,581

1 members and 2,580 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You should be fine even if he hits 10' depending on his temper. I mean Caesar is over 6' and probably 1.5-2" thick and he is mellow as far as temperament. I mean once i boop his snoot with the paper towel and he knows its no dinner, i just reach in and drag him out. If he doesnt want out, he tends to try and get into the cage faster than i can drag him out lol. Once out, he though, he just looks at everything. And he loves to do that thing you see Cody's retics do with standing straight up and touching the ceiling haha. Combine that with climbing down my leg or sitting on my head and he's a handful but nothing i would feel threatened by.

I havent checked for spurs on Caesar but it seems he has taken a break from growing. He hasnt shed in awhile and seems to be thickening up and May 18 he will be 1 year old. So maybe he will top out around 7' like Kris told me. I wouldnt mind if he got 10" though as like i said, he is pretty laid back.

And i agree, interaction with them is important. I pretty much interact with Caesar daily but half the reason is he is front and center or poking his head out the see me every time i go by his cage haha. He loves to initiate the interaction. Then when he see it doesnt lead to food, he tries and backpedals into his hide haha.
    I certainly don't feel threatened, but what a lot of people don't understand is bite of even a 6 foot retic can be enough to require stitches. The teeth on retics and scrubs and some of the other pythons are much longer than people think.

Gus Rentfro took a bite from one of his larger Peruvian boas and was relatively unscathed. A simple accident with a retic can be more serious.

At 10 feet long Wallace will be a lot to handle with the speed he has. A lot depends on girth, but Cody has stated that an "only 9 foot retic" is nothing to take lightly.

Again, I'm just looking at worst case scenario. All will probably go well, but I feel it is important to be prepared for animals like these.

This guy is great. We are still growing together.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I certainly don't feel threatened, but what a lot of people don't understand is bite of even a 6 foot retic can be enough to require stitches. The teeth on retics and scrubs and some of the other pythons are much longer than people think.

Gus Rentfro took a bite from one of his larger Peruvian boas and was relatively unscathed. A simple accident with a retic can be more serious.

At 10 feet long Wallace will be a lot to handle with the speed he has. A lot depends on girth, but Cody has stated that an "only 9 foot retic" is nothing to take lightly.

Again, I'm just looking at worst case scenario. All will probably go well, but I feel it is important to be prepared for animals like these.

This guy is great. We are still growing together.
    Oh i know a bite from any snake that is 6'+ is not going to be fun and could require stitches. I'm just saying, if your snake is mellow at a young age, they generally mellow out even more with age as babies tend to be flighty and/or bitey. Like for me, I've never been bit by Caesar. Only time he ever got mad was when i introduced a hook to him as a baby. He hissed and opened his mouth, very angry. Since then i use a twisted paper towel to boop his snoot and he immediately either lays down on the cage floor or backs up into his hide a little. Now feeding day is different as Caesar turns into a demon when he smells food lol. I've had to use the sliding glass door on his cage as a shield once.

As for speed, he might calm down with age. I mean Caesar is a spazz when i take him out some days but it's mostly just him trying to sit on my head or stand straight up in the air. He generally doesn't try to run unless he gets close to his cage. Then he will go for his cage as he seems to really love his cage lol.

But each snake is different. Yours is more dwarf than mine where as mine is more mainland so that could also play into the overall attitude.

Also i looked at Caesar and i did find spurs. he wasn't pleased at all. I don't think he felt like coming out. He was more than happy to go back into his cage and then just went to the warm side and looked at me...giving me the stink eye haha.

Oh forgot to mention, i have had Caesar shove my hand away from his body when I've tried to pick him up. I'm guessing thats his way of saying 'leave me alone'. But i usually just pick him up anyways and he just gives me stink eye lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-20-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Oh i know a bite from any snake that is 6'+ is not going to be fun and could require stitches. I'm just saying, if your snake is mellow at a young age, they generally mellow out even more with age as babies tend to be flighty and/or bitey. Like for me, I've never been bit by Caesar. Only time he ever got mad was when i introduced a hook to him as a baby. He hissed and opened his mouth, very angry. Since then i use a twisted paper towel to boop his snoot and he immediately either lays down on the cage floor or backs up into his hide a little. Now feeding day is different as Caesar turns into a demon when he smells food lol. I've had to use the sliding glass door on his cage as a shield once.

As for speed, he might calm down with age. I mean Caesar is a spazz when i take him out some days but it's mostly just him trying to sit on my head or stand straight up in the air. He generally doesn't try to run unless he gets close to his cage. Then he will go for his cage as he seems to really love his cage lol.

But each snake is different. Yours is more dwarf than mine where as mine is more mainland so that could also play into the overall attitude.

Also i looked at Caesar and i did find spurs. he wasn't pleased at all. I don't think he felt like coming out. He was more than happy to go back into his cage and then just went to the warm side and looked at me...giving me the stink eye haha.

Oh forgot to mention, i have had Caesar shove my hand away from his body when I've tried to pick him up. I'm guessing thats his way of saying 'leave me alone'. But i usually just pick him up anyways and he just gives me stink eye lol.
    Damn I'm going to have to check Wallace again. My first investigation seemed to yield nothing in the way of spurs.

I would be floored if he was was a she.

Kris is not somebody who would make that mistake.

I'm guessing I'm missing them and Wallace is too busy to let me find them.

Thanks

Damn I'm going to have to check Wallace again. My first investigation seemed to yield nothing in the way of spurs.

I would be floored if he was was a she.

Kris is not somebody who would make that mistake.

I'm guessing I'm missing them and Wallace is too busy to let me find them.
    Well Caesar's aren't huge but you can see them for sure. I mean it might be easier to spot on Caesar simply because his belly is bright white so anything stands out on his belly.

And it wasn't very easy either as like i said, Caesar didn't want to come out tonight and then add to that, I'm grabbing his tail and flipping it over, he was less than amused. He let me know when he got back in the cage with the glaring stink eye he gave me when he back to his warm side haha.

But Kris could have made a mistake. I mean it does happen to even the experts. For me though, my situation was a little different. I originally ordered a white albino from him but when he went to pack it the next morning, it had a scrape on the nose from rubbing so he didn't want to sell it to me like that. He said that was his last male of the white albinos but he could send me another different snake. I told him i really wanted a white tiger het snow but didnt have the $750 handy at the moment. He said, don't worry as i already sent him the $400 so he said he'd find me an awesome male white tiger het snow and send him to me. That's when he sent me Caesar and told me he eats anything anytime which he does. I bet he was happy to sell Caesar as that snake will eat you out of house and home lol although he has gotten mellower with food recently.

Oh and worst case, you could just take him into your vet for sexing. I took Dottie into my vet to get sexed as she was sold to me as a she but i had my doubts. Well my vet told me she is indeed a she.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-20-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

Well Caesar's aren't huge but you can see them for sure. I mean it might be easier to spot on Caesar simply because his belly is bright white so anything stands out on his belly.

And it wasn't very easy either as like i said, Caesar didn't want to come out tonight and then add to that, I'm grabbing his tail and flipping it over, he was less than amused. He let me know when he got back in the cage with the glaring stink eye he gave me when he back to his warm side haha.

But Kris could have made a mistake. I mean it does happen to even the experts. For me though, my situation was a little different. I originally ordered a white albino from him but when he went to pack it the next morning, it had a scrape on the nose from rubbing so he didn't want to sell it to me like that. He said that was his last male of the white albinos but he could send me another different snake. I told him i really wanted a white tiger het snow but didnt have the $750 handy at the moment. He said, don't worry as i already sent him the $400 so he said he'd find me an awesome male white tiger het snow and send him to me. That's when he sent me Caesar and told me he eats anything anytime which he does. I bet he was happy to sell Caesar as that snake will eat you out of house and home lol although he has gotten mellower with food recently.

Oh and worst case, you could just take him into your vet for sexing. I took Dottie into my vet to get sexed as she was sold to me as a she but i had my doubts. Well my vet told me she is indeed a she.
    I'll re-examine Wallace. It would really suck if he was a female. I don't think he is based on his feeding habits but as you said it can and does happen.

I love the coloring and pattern on him. His head is starting to yellow up.

Thanks

I'll re-examine Wallace. It would really suck if he was a female. I don't think he is based on his feeding habits but as you said it can and does happen.

I love the coloring and pattern on him. His head is starting to yellow up.
    Well, Cloud's female retic eats like Wallace. I think she feeds once every couple weeks and her female has actually refused food a couple times i believe she said. But from the size, i doubt it's a female. I mean you said he's 5' and will be 1 year in June. I think Phyllis was over 6' in her first year and Caesar is 6' or a little more and he will be 1 year old next month on the 18th. You do feed conservatively though. A small rat once every 10-14 days vs Caesar gets a large rat every 7 days. I'm just kind of surprised Wallace is 5' already though from that small of feedings. By contrast, I'm kind of surprised Caesar isn't bigger from his large rat once a week lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-20-2017)

Thanks

Well, Cloud's female retic eats like Wallace. I think she feeds once every couple weeks and her female has actually refused food a couple times i believe she said. But from the size, i doubt it's a female. I mean you said he's 5' and will be 1 year in June. I think Phyllis was over 6' in her first year and Caesar is 6' or a little more and he will be 1 year old next month on the 18th. You do feed conservatively though. A small rat once every 10-14 days vs Caesar gets a large rat every 7 days. I'm just kind of surprised Wallace is 5' already though from that small of feedings. By contrast, I'm kind of surprised Caesar isn't bigger from his large rat once a week lol.
    I guess we'll see soon enough. I'm not sure if I'll take him out today or not. It will have to be early because he's getting food later on.

Such a goofball. Look at the face here. Sneaky little fella.

"I'm going to make this photo session as irritating as possible for you!" LOL!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I guess we'll see soon enough. I'm not sure if I'll take him out today or not. It will have to be early because he's getting food later on.

Such a goofball. Look at the face here. Sneaky little fella.

"I'm going to make this photo session as irritating as possible for you!" LOL!

Hahaha photo shoots with retics are a pain! Nonstop squirrelly movement at all times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    It was one of those "I wish I had the camera" moments. Wallace ate again tonight. 13 days between his last meal and tonight. I like that, and the fact he isn't a wild man like Caesar, although I dig Caesar's mojo. He's probably a relation to Wallace and Sauzo and I have the Vital Exotics, retics at the same time bond LOL!

Anyhow, Wallace had a really neat feeding. He struck and ate from the perches. Nothing touched the ground.

I can't wait until he gets his big enclosure. I still love the looks of the AP's don't think I'm anti AP, but Ed at Constrictors NW is not only a great guy, he's a phone and internet friend as well.

Wallace's Pro-Line cage will be every bit as awesome as any cage out there and I'm so familiar with setting them up it will make my life easy. And,,,, the price,,, forget about it!

I've have a strange batch of snakes here. My son's royal is a good girl but is going on 3 months without food. My coastal carpet is another crappy eater and is about 2 months between meals. She is getting big though and her mother was a 10 footer.

My eaters are the males. Sniper the boa will almost always eat but I usually feed him monthly. Wallace could easily eat more at a sitting, but I don't want him huge. A 9 footer would be a dream! I like big, but with retics and my situation, too big is an issue.

If my wife was into it, a 10, 11, 12 and maybe even 13 foot snake would be acceptable.

OK back to Wallace. He was fun to watch eat tonight.

Photo not from tonight.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Lol i got the opposite problem here. All my snakes love to eat too much haha. They all go absolutely bat poop when it's dinner time. The big boas sit in a coiled spring 'S', Vicky's pupils get HUGE. Caesar is just going back and forth on the litter dam, Luna is popped out of her hide, Rango is perked up out of his aspen and Gina just lifts her head a little. She's about the mellowest one until you get the mouse kind of near her. Then like i said before she shoots up in the general area of the mouse with mouth open and flailing back and forth like Ray Charles until she latches on or about 5 secs go by lol. Then she closes her mouth and looks at me. I then move the mouse by her face and its game over lol. If she feeds like as an adult, I'll be using the glass door as a shield like i do with Caesar sometimes haha.

And i cant wait for my cages either!! I ordered 2 AP T25s and a stand. Still debating on who gets the 2nd cage, Caesar or Vicky. Rosey is a given as she is my biggest girl by about 6" compared to Caesar but I've had her the longest and if i had to pick a favorite, she would probably win. She is such a sweetie and always fine to be dragged out and messed with lol. Although like i said, Gina has the same personality as Rosey. I can even reach in over Gina's head and scoop her up and all she does is flick her tongue on my hand lol. The breeder was right when he told me i would happily surprised with how calm and docile the Rio Bravo Pokigrons are except during feeding time.

And heck, i'd be happy to give you some Caesar mojo lol. He has too much. The guy is pretty much out front in his cage probably 80% of the time just laying on the litter dam or half in a hide half stretched out across the front floor. Then you walk by or up to his cage and he stands up to see whats going on haha.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-21-2017 at 10:01 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-21-2017)

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast