Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

0 members and 2,887 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Lucky sob lol. Caesar wouldn't even go with that schedule when I got him lol. Kris told me he LOVED to eat anything anytime and he was right. I think I will end with a large rat every week by the time he hits 1 year old. JM hooked me up with an auction Bob Clark had for a female pied retic that was up to $705. If I hadn't bought Gina, I probably would have jumped on it but I'm not sure I want a mainland female haha. 18' snake is not something that I'm sure I really want lol.

Definitely post some pics if you get that Monster Cage.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-11-2017),jmcrook (04-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lucky sob lol. Caesar wouldn't even go with that schedule when I got him lol. Kris told me he LOVED to eat anything anytime and he was right. I think I will end with a large rat every week by the time he hits 1 year old. JM hooked me up with an auction Bob Clark had for a female pied retic that was up to $705. If I hadn't bought Gina, I probably would have jumped on it but I'm not sure I want a mainland female haha. 18' snake is not something that I'm sure I really want lol.

Definitely post some pics if you get that Monster Cage.
    OK,

I think I'm heading down to look at them (Monster Cages) in the next day or two.

I'm working on keeping Wallace small and manageable for the first year. According to some, once that first year or possibly two goes by they are easier to control growth wise. Wallace only has 18.25% mainland in his makeup, but that's still 18.25% for size potential.

Honestly though, I'm not holding back food, he's quite happy with the rotation we are on and I keep waiting for the roaming/bolting to the front of the cage for food and it is not happening.

He's been great to handle since the first bite I took getting him out a while back.

It snowed her last night so spring photos are a while out still.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-11-2017)

Thanks
    Ah, Caesar has 31% mainland. Maybe that's why he's a bigger boy with a HUGE appetite lol. And Caesar is always at the front or poking his head out to see whats going on anytime something comes around. He is a very inquisitive snake. The boas don't really care whats going on around them lol. Maybe the more mainland blood in Caesar is what makes him more mellow/social? I mean I've heard that the more mainland blood in a SD, the mellower they tend to be as pure SDs are kind of flighty and mainlands are pretty laid back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Ah, Caesar has 31% mainland. Maybe that's why he's a bigger boy with a HUGE appetite lol. And Caesar is always at the front or poking his head out to see whats going on anytime something comes around. He is a very inquisitive snake. The boas don't really care whats going on around them lol. Maybe the more mainland blood in Caesar is what makes him more mellow/social? I mean I've heard that the more mainland blood in a SD, the mellower they tend to be as pure SDs are kind of flighty and mainlands are pretty laid back.
    I think I agree with that for the most part although Wallace has really settled and become wonderful.

Caesar is almost double the mainland that Wallace is so that would explain a few things wouldn't it.

Never heard back again from Monster today after 2 texts so I'm about done.

AP and Constrictors NW have wonderful customer service. I will end up with a cage from Ed more than likely and be happy. I have no complaints with what I have now.

Monster has some nice looking cages, but I'm just a bit disinterested when I try to set things up and don't get acknowledged.

Wallace is plenty happy in his current Pro-Line and looks good in it. A larger unit will only be a plus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Yeah kind of lame he doesn't respond. I actually have my Pro-Line and both my Herpstat 2 and 1 up for local sale. Was going to use the Pro-Line for a spare cage but meh, once I order 3 T25s, I'll have like 3 spare T8s. So might as well just sell the Pro-Line. Same with the Herpstats. I'm keeping the Herpstat 2 redline and Herpstat 1 redline for spares but the other 2 I don't need.

And yeah AP does have awesome customer service. Ed answers stuff pretty quick too. Actually waiting to hear back from Ali if the LEDs they install can be used with Herpstats to simulate sunrise and sunset. If so, I found a use for my Herpstat 2 redline lol. I'll use it as a sunrise/sunset timer for all the snake cages lol.

And yeah, that probably does explain a lot about Caesar lol. I had him out today and he is easily 6'. He was able to easily reach the floor from my shoulders and still have spare tail. And i'm about 5'11". So I know he's at least 6' if not slightly longer now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    I will need a new photo prop for outdoor photos this spring/summer.
    Wallace is just too quick to be trusted if he is not in my hands or wrapped around something. It is a shame because some of my easiest and pictures are taken off of our deck rail. I honestly don't think I can photograph him there because if he heads for the ground he'll be under the decking, and that will be about it until he decides to come out.

I'm going to have to work with some other options in a more open area limiting/erasing the possibility of escape. He is "colubrid style" fast, and if he runs, and I chase, I have to grab him quickly. When he's excited he always seems to have a "little in the tank" just for me. Usually Pee, not really musk, but I don't like either.

He's over 5 feet long which somewhat bums me out as I really don't want him to be large I was hoping 4 to 4.5 feet at the year mark on June 1. At 6 to 9 feet he will be plenty challenging to handle. At 10 feet, I will likely need a spotter depending on his girth. I don't know how many people think long term when it comes to retics, whether they are mainland, dwarf, super dwarf or a combo. I love the challenge, but they are NO JOKE, and I'm recognizing it very early on.

If you delve into the species without long term thought and preparation, you will probably run into issues if your animal ends up on the larger side. I already have "some" precautionary safety gear in place, and more will come if I start seeing a larger than expected pet. I'm not being a sissy, I'm quite in shape, active and I know how to take care of myself but I'm also not oblivious or arrogantly, over confident to the point of thinking I'm never going to be in a bad situation. That's all I'll say on that because this isn't supposed to be a negative post. I'm just relaying some initial experiences, and thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, Wallace has done nothing since the little bite a couple of months ago to turn me off to him, but he is a snake that I will not take lightly or trust. He doesn't make it easy on me getting him out of his cage. Of course he's in a 48" x 24" x 14". 14" tall isn't as easy to reach into as a taller unit. He'll be in a 2 foot tall cage this summer which will make things easier.

Frequent handling of this species seems to be rather important. Obviously working with any snake tends to make interactions in the future more relaxing and predictable for all involved.

I continue feeding every 10-14 days and surprisingly he is still fine with small rats. I will keep that up until he hits a year, and then I'm planning medium rats every 2 weeks. I've been reading a lot of the UK retic boards and they like to keep their males and females nice and lean and a lot of them feel some of us here in the US tend to push the feeding too much.

Wallace shed out yesterday and looks absolutely beautiful today. I was checking him out and have not been able to find his spurs. I know Kris would not have sold me a female at a male price and I know his reputation is impeccable. I'm just curious if Gerald, Gene or Caesar have spurs.

He was very active today so the pictures were difficult to take. For reference however, he is perched on an olympic barbell. He is about the same thickness maybe a touch thicker at his most girthy spot.

His coloring is good today.

Too bad he was zipping all over. This would have been a decent head photo. The scales match the knurling of the barbell.

The length is coming. Another terrible, one handed picture, but this is his coloring without a flash. I think I'll dump the flash for photos in the gym. It is plenty bright in this room. This is actually pretty close to what his coloring looks like. You don't see the iridescence here, but he has it all over when the light hits him right.

Thanks for checking in.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-20-2017),rock (04-20-2017),Sauzo (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

You are quite the well researched keeper, Gio. Retics are definitely not a species to be taken lightly or acquired impulsively. Better to have precautions in place and not need them than vice versa. I always approach Phyllis with hook first and then confidently but cautiously reach into the cage after I've gotten a good read on her body language.
    On the spurs note, Gerald's spurs are quite small and maybe only easier seen because his tail is almost pure white so they stand out a bit more.
    I kinda doubt Wallace will break 8-9' with your feeding schedule but better to be prepared for it than not. He's going to love that big cage I'm sure. Phyllis will get her forever cage in probably July providing there are minimal delays with production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You are quite the well researched keeper, Gio. Retics are definitely not a species to be taken lightly or acquired impulsively. Better to have precautions in place and not need them than vice versa. I always approach Phyllis with hook first and then confidently but cautiously reach into the cage after I've gotten a good read on her body language.
    On the spurs note, Gerald's spurs are quite small and maybe only easier seen because his tail is almost pure white so they stand out a bit more.
    I kinda doubt Wallace will break 8-9' with your feeding schedule but better to be prepared for it than not. He's going to love that big cage I'm sure. Phyllis will get her forever cage in probably July providing there are minimal delays with production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the words of encouragement brother. I'll have look for the spurs again. He is really bushy now that it's spring

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    Gio, this is a great thread. Awesome animal you have. SD, Dwarf and Mainland Retics are amazing.

Reading up on them is interesting and makes me want one in many ways but I also realize it's certainly too much for me to take on right now. Better to know my limitations but great to get an in-depth look here. Great job!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    You should be fine even if he hits 10' depending on his temper. I mean Caesar is over 6' and probably 1.5-2" thick and he is mellow as far as temperament. I mean once i boop his snoot with the paper towel and he knows its no dinner, i just reach in and drag him out. If he doesnt want out, he tends to try and get into the cage faster than i can drag him out lol. Once out, he though, he just looks at everything. And he loves to do that thing you see Cody's retics do with standing straight up and touching the ceiling haha. Combine that with climbing down my leg or sitting on my head and he's a handful but nothing i would feel threatened by.

I havent checked for spurs on Caesar but it seems he has taken a break from growing. He hasnt shed in awhile and seems to be thickening up and May 18 he will be 1 year old. So maybe he will top out around 7' like Kris told me. I wouldnt mind if he got 10" though as like i said, he is pretty laid back.

And i agree, interaction with them is important. I pretty much interact with Caesar daily but half the reason is he is front and center or poking his head out the see me every time i go by his cage haha. He loves to initiate the interaction. Then when he see it doesnt lead to food, he tries and backpedals into his hide haha.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-20-2017)

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast