Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

1 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stearns84 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-03-2017)

Thanks

Any updates on your enclosure setup?

Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns84 View Post
    Any updates on your enclosure setup?

I'm searching around for my final enclosure options. I'm currently back in discussions with Constrictors NW (Proline Cages).

Matt at Monster Cages never got back to me, and I think he may be a bit busy now with a new baby on the way. I like the enclosures he builds, but they are completely welded and can't be taken apart. I have changed, moved and replaced items within my current cages and I like being able to break them down if needed.

Animal Plastics was high on my list, but the size isn't right, and if I go custom, the price goes way up and shipping puts the price point way over budget. They make beautiful cages, but I want and need a certain size here and AP comes in too high.

Because I've worked with Ed at Pro-Line, I can get a custom cage with the exact dimensions I need, DELIVERED for the price of the smaller AP cage after they charge for shipping.

After inspecting and cleaning out a couple of my Pro-Line units yesterday, I called Ed and am seriously looking at a 72" x 30" x 24" double cage.

Wallace is currently in this unit.

He fits comfortably in this. He has a few hides, perches and a huge water bowel.
    He is feeding conservatively, and that is pretty much on his own. He has at least a 10 day spread between meals and goes longer on occasion if he decides not to eat.

This is a previously posted picture, however it shows how he fits in this 48" x 24" x 14" cage.

I've got some time and this really works for him.

For a snake that is somewhat difficult to remove from the cage like Wallace, I will certainly need a 24 inch tall unit.

That's my caging at this point, and I have the wheels in motion for the next one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Looks good. You know, sometimes i'm envious of how your snakes aren't garbage cans lol. I tried doing 10 days with Caesar and that went over like a turd in a punchbowl. He started pushing at day 8. Once he got a meal in him, he went back to being an angel.

And yeah if Pro-Line cages are what you like, go for it. I personally didn't care for them as maybe mine was made on a Friday or something but it wasn't very sturdy, the door didn't line up for squat unless I shimmed the back right corner with 3 pieces of cardboard and the ceiling sagged bigtime after about 2 years. And I guess I wasn't the only one. Figment's ceiling sagged so bad that he had to lift it to close the door, mine wasn't that bad.

Sucks the guy at Monster Cages didn't get back to you. Maybe he's out of town? Or if he did have a new baby, he probably is trying to sneak in as much sleep as he can when he can lol. If I didn't love AP cages, he would probably be who I would check out as Boaphiles are god awful expensive.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (04-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Looks good. You know, sometimes i'm envious of how your snakes aren't garbage cans lol. I tried doing 10 days with Caesar and that went over like a turd in a punchbowl. He started pushing at day 8. Once he got a meal in him, he went back to being an angel.

And yeah if Pro-Line cages are what you like, go for it. I personally didn't care for them as maybe mine was made on a Friday or something but it wasn't very sturdy, the door didn't line up for squat unless I shimmed the back right corner with 3 pieces of cardboard and the ceiling sagged bigtime after about 2 years. And I guess I wasn't the only one. Figment's ceiling sagged so bad that he had to lift it to close the door, mine wasn't that bad.

Sucks the guy at Monster Cages didn't get back to you. Maybe he's out of town? Or if he did have a new baby, he probably is trying to sneak in as much sleep as he can when he can lol. If I didn't love AP cages, he would probably be who I would check out as Boaphiles are god awful expensive.
    Yeah,

Don't know what to tell you, but I've never had a problem. And would put my cages against anybody's, as they do everything needed to keep my animals. Since I set them up the way I want, I really haven't found too many cages that I feel compare when I get the final touches in place. No issues and it's a plastic box when it comes down to it.

I'm not into sterile setups and honestly don't like the PVC plastic AP uses. I prefer HDPE and always have. PVC is toxic when you get right down to it, but I'd own one if the price was decent for the size I want I guess.

Boaphile cages are fine, but again, I want/need ceiling space and nobody offers a comparable price WITH SHIPPING on a unit that is the size I want.

I'm not really up for debating caging here, I was just asked how the search for the next cage was progressing.

I've got four snakes and they live like kings and queens in the cages they have. I'll always pick perches over shelves, and I like the snakes being able to stay busy in their enclosures.

Because Ed is still making cages and offered me a great deal, I see no reason to look elsewhere at this point. There isn't much to it as long as the cages work and I get a good deal.

The snakes here will all become more active with the increased natural daylight and warmth.

I expect a good summer here with Wallace, and I'll feed him like a SD x dwarf since his mainland percentage is very low.

I'm looking forward to outdoor photos this year.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Well, he did the SD retic thing.

Wallace was out for a TV session which usually entails a lot of through the hands and hand over hand work as he is always moving but last night he did what Reptile Experts (Cody) mentions in some of his videos.

Wallace "took off".

He was totally cool and then just started blitzing out of my hands. I barely kept hold of him and was able to catch a bit of his lower body. Of course I thought he was going to spray me but he didn't.

He was fine, just SUPER busy, I guess he had an important appointment I was unaware of LOL. I kept with him for a minute or two and then was a bit irritated as I was in relax mode and he was not.

I ended up sending him back to the cage.

He's a good boy, but wow can they move and it isn't just for a short burst. He was continuous.

I'm actually hoping for a little size because at the very least he won't be as squirmy. It will be more of a workout, but I was a tad worried about losing him under a reclining leather sofa last night.

He's leveled out a tad at the 5 foot mark and isn't all over the food, which is great. He'll hit the one year mark June 1st.

He's at the 2 week mark for food so tonight he will feast.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-09-2017),jmcrook (04-08-2017),Sauzo (04-08-2017)

Thanks

Double post.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Lol don't count on the being less squirmy. Caesar is about 6' now and he IS the boss lol. He doesn't take off like Wallace did unless I'm taking him out of the cage and he doesn't want to come out. Then he figures he can get back in faster than I can take him out lol. But once out, he is calm but always moving if that makes sense.

Caesar will be 1 year old May 18th. And he still freakin loves food. He isn't as bad as when he was a baby but he still pops his head out and sits at the front of the cage whenever there is movement. I just boop his snoot with the paper towel and he lays down lol. Kinda funny, reminds me of a dog haha.

Has Wallace pee'd on you yet? Caesar did his first piss on me...right on my foot while watching tv. Little sob planted his keester right above my foot and then let out a little stream. He seems proud though and sat there looking afterwards haha.

As for size, heck, I'd give you some of Caesar's size lol. I think he's going to end up being a rather big boy. I alternate his food. He eats once a week and gets a medium rat one week and then a large the next week. If I stretch him out much past 1 week, he starts to pace and push.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol don't count on the being less squirmy. Caesar is about 6' now and he IS the boss lol. He doesn't take off like Wallace did unless I'm taking him out of the cage and he doesn't want to come out. Then he figures he can get back in faster than I can take him out lol. But once out, he is calm but always moving if that makes sense.

Caesar will be 1 year old May 18th. And he still freakin loves food. He isn't as bad as when he was a baby but he still pops his head out and sits at the front of the cage whenever there is movement. I just boop his snoot with the paper towel and he lays down lol. Kinda funny, reminds me of a dog haha.

Has Wallace pee'd on you yet? Caesar did his first piss on me...right on my foot while watching tv. Little sob planted his keester right above my foot and then let out a little stream. He seems proud though and sat there looking afterwards haha.

As for size, heck, I'd give you some of Caesar's size lol. I think he's going to end up being a rather big boy. I alternate his food. He eats once a week and gets a medium rat one week and then a large the next week. If I stretch him out much past 1 week, he starts to pace and push.
    Yep, I think I told early on Wallace has sprayed, and Pee'd on me a few times. He's about 5 feet now and skinny and squirmy. I'd like a bit more girth and 7-8 feet. I would have more to grab at that size. Now he's like a colubrid that can get away and into trouble fast. Small enough to get into areas I can't get into and that stresses me a bit.

He's got the Tiger gene so he could get large but his % of SD must have some major influence on his eating, growth and flighty behavior. I like it, just not the track meet we had last night.

Caesar looks great and seems well behaved.

I'd be fine with a 9 foot 35 pound animal. Actually I welcome it but will,not over feed to get there.

Make sure you post 1 year old Caesar pictures and get a measurement.

Thanks
    Well,

I think I may pay a visit to Monster Cages this week.

I heard back from Matt and if the price holds true, it is unbeatable if I go pick up the cage.

His cages are so strong you can stand on top of them, and they are made of non-toxic HDPE plastic.

There are a few specific's I'll need to make sure of but if it all comes together, I'll give the cage a shot.

Wallace chowed down the other night. 1 small rat after 13 days!

Perfect SD growth as far as I'm concerned. I'm hanging with him without issue as I type!

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast