Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,636

0 members and 2,636 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I'd have to say that I'm in the same camp as Chris as far as enclosures are concerned.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I weighed the small rats Wallace eats. 50 grams.

Now the larges are 250 plus.

Mediums are 190.

So far he is totally fine with smalls every 7 days. His shed pushed him out to 15 days and that included a refusal so I know he's good to go. I will probably bump him up a size in the spring and push him out 7-10 days.

I see no reason for him to have more than 1 large every 7-10.

That said I will introduce quail and also smallish rabbits that are equal to the large rats.

He should slow in growth rather dramatically after the 2nd year. My bet is an 8-9' snake with similar girth to my coastal carpet python, maybe a tad thicker.

So far so good with this guy.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-28-2017),Sauzo (02-28-2017),Stearns84 (02-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Wow your mediums are a lot larger than the ones I get. Mine seem to average around 140-170g. Your larges are a little bigger too. Mine average about 180-220. Now that's for the place close to me. I reptile shop where they have all the quails, rabbits, gpigs and chicks seems to run about the same as yours. No idea on the smalls as I have never weighed those.

I honestly think your snake is going to smaller than 8-9' with that feeding schedule. I'd guess he tops out at 7' but who knows really as half seems to be food intake and the other half seems to be how the genetics play out.

Problem I see with ours is they aren't full SD. So I personally think it is hard to really put a number on their size. I mean Gene is a perfect example. He's 25% SD, 25% dwarf and 50% mainland and he is like 5'. But anyways, it will be interesting to see how all guys' and gals turn out in 2 years.

You could do quails now. I was feeding Caesar like 3 week old quails I think when he was on small rats. They are about the same size as baby chicks. Last time I looked at the shop, the 7 week old quails were about the size of a large rat but I doubt meatwise, just purely on the thickness of them when I was feeling them up. I'll have to pay more attention to the age when I get there. I usually just look at the bags and say "Yeah, that one there" lol.

The rabbits and gpigs, the smallest ones I saw were way to big for Caesar. I mean he probably could have downed it and I was told by a lot of retic guys on Retic Nation FB that a 5' SD can easily eat 2 large rats or a baby rabbit or gpig but I didn't want to chance it.

Oh and stay away from the Retic Nation FB page. I got scolded for feeding Caesar medium rats when he was 5'. Everyone pretty much said I was underfeeding and starving my retic which was why he was pushing and scraped his chin up. Or he was looking for a girlfriend but since he is only 9 months old, they said I was starving him. With feeding yours smalls, I'm sure they would rip you apart on that.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-28-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Wow your mediums are a lot larger than the ones I get. Mine seem to average around 140-170g. Your larges are a little bigger too. Mine average about 180-220. Now that's for the place close to me. I reptile shop where they have all the quails, rabbits, gpigs and chicks seems to run about the same as yours. No idea on the smalls as I have never weighed those.

I honestly think your snake is going to smaller than 8-9' with that feeding schedule. I'd guess he tops out at 7' but who knows really as half seems to be food intake and the other half seems to be how the genetics play out.

Problem I see with ours is they aren't full SD. So I personally think it is hard to really put a number on their size. I mean Gene is a perfect example. He's 25% SD, 25% dwarf and 50% mainland and he is like 5'. But anyways, it will be interesting to see how all guys' and gals turn out in 2 years.

You could do quails now. I was feeding Caesar like 3 week old quails I think when he was on small rats. They are about the same size as baby chicks. Last time I looked at the shop, the 7 week old quails were about the size of a large rat but I doubt meatwise, just purely on the thickness of them when I was feeling them up. I'll have to pay more attention to the age when I get there. I usually just look at the bags and say "Yeah, that one there" lol.

The rabbits and gpigs, the smallest ones I saw were way to big for Caesar. I mean he probably could have downed it and I was told by a lot of retic guys on Retic Nation FB that a 5' SD can easily eat 2 large rats or a baby rabbit or gpig but I didn't want to chance it.
    I want quail now but the shop only has really large quail. Too much for him now. They are harder to eat than rats too LOL. They have quite a time finding that floppy head.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I want quail now but the shop only has really large quail. Too much for him now. They are harder to eat than rats too LOL. They have quite a time finding that floppy head.
    Haha not Caesar or Vicky. They are pro poultry eaters. They actually eat them quicker than rats. Now Rosey, she has a heck of a time eating poultry. Like you said, the floppy head throws her off. Last time I gave her one, she kind of folded it and had a wing hanging out. It took her like 45 mins to eat it haha. I quit offering poultry as she has 'failed' on like 3 of them now. I'll just stick to her rats and rabbits as she is pro at eating those.

And yeah, the same here. The shop has pretty big ones. I mean they might be smaller now as Caesar is bigger but back then, they were too big imo for him.

Thanks
    I hate to post without pictures in a progression thread,

However Wallace has been doing well lately. He's growing, but is lean as can be. He's been MUCH easier to remove from the cage, and he's FULLY utilizing his perches and cage decor.

I will set his last enclosure up to be the ultimate display cage. I have some ideas and it will be interesting watching him hunt and feed from ambush points and perch areas in the final cage. My joy in the hobby is based more on observing the behaviors of a few animals VS having a large collection that I can't monitor.

If you want to talk about real, wild retics and their behaviors, include Wallace in the conversation. He is perched right above his water bowl. Similar to what the younger retics do when they perch above streams in the wild. When threatened they drop into the water and make a run for it.

Wallace has a different idea though. He poops and pees in his bowl. I just changed it out last night, and low and behold, this morning it was filled again with poop and urates LOL!

He hits several climate zones by being able to perch.

Just an update.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-04-2017),Sauzo (03-04-2017),Stearns84 (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Nice. At least yours does it in an easy place to see and clean. Mine like to drop deuces behind stuff like their hides or the water bowl so I have to go searching for it. And when I used ReptiChips, the boas loved to bury their tails in the stuff and drop a big urate under the substrate like a cat. Nothing quite like the feeling of a coldish still moist and semi soft urate as you poke it with your finger while digging through substrate

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-04-2017),jmcrook (03-04-2017),Stearns84 (03-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I hate to post without pictures in a progression thread,

However Wallace has been doing well lately. He's growing, but is lean as can be. He's been MUCH easier to remove from the cage, and he's FULLY utilizing his perches and cage decor.

I will set his last enclosure up to be the ultimate display cage. I have some ideas and it will be interesting watching him hunt and feed from ambush points and perch areas in the final cage. My joy in the hobby is based more on observing the behaviors of a few animals VS having a large collection that I can't monitor.

If you want to talk about real, wild retics and their behaviors, include Wallace in the conversation. He is perched right above his water bowl. Similar to what the younger retics do when they perch above streams in the wild. When threatened they drop into the water and make a run for it.

Wallace has a different idea though. He poops and pees in his bowl. I just changed it out last night, and low and behold, this morning it was filled again with poop and urates LOL!

He hits several climate zones by being able to perch.

Just an update.
    We definitely need some picture updates!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Quite the bowl movement right there....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    I said I'd take some outdoor pictures but given the spirit of the day, and my new I-phone 7 plus, I figured I'd pop a quick 3 pictures in different modes.

Wallace on his upside down stool.

The same type of picture pose with some indoor adjusted lighting and zoomed in a bit.

And,,,, Finally a picture with the flash on and zoomed in.

I like the camera on the 7-Plus. It's almost as good as the Sony high end camera we have in certain instances.

The boy is coloring up nicely and you can see a bit of the rainbow toward the back of his head and sides with the flash.

For reference the in the top picture the distance from the crossbar to the tip of the leg on the chair is roughly 9-10 inches.

Thanks for checking in on Wallace.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-03-2017 at 10:04 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-04-2017),dboeren (05-02-2017),jmcrook (04-03-2017),Sauzo (04-03-2017),Stearns84 (04-03-2017)

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast