Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 511

1 members and 510 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I love their derpy baby faces, and you captured a decent few in this thread. lol

Both your's and Gio's SDs are growing a lot faster than I've seen to be expected of SDs, their growth is closely matching a "standard" mainland retic's growth when not power fed. They're far outstripping River's growth already, and she's now 8' at 2.5 years old. I'll have to see where she tops out at (around 5-6 years of age), but I'm thinking you guys may have bigger snakes than you planned on your hands if they're already growing faster than my (assumed) mainland.
    You know I was thinking the same thing. Levi is a mainland hatched 6/19/16 and he's about 5' just under 2 pounds and eats weekly. His meals average 120-130 grams. Maybe I've been underfeeding him a little? Never had a pushing issue but he is ALWAYS hungry. Thought that was just retics though.

Or maybe they all grow quickly while young regardless of SD/D/Mainland percentage to make them less vulnerable to predators? They all just top out at different sizes due to their natural environment, conditions and resources based on locality? Never owned a SD/D so just throwing thoughts out there. Regardless, you all have some good looking retics
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSilva View Post
    You know I was thinking the same thing. Levi is a mainland hatched 6/19/16 and he's about 5' just under 2 pounds and eats weekly. His meals average 120-130 grams. Maybe I've been underfeeding him a little? Never had a pushing issue but he is ALWAYS hungry. Thought that was just retics though.

Or maybe they all grow quickly while young regardless of SD/D/Mainland percentage to make them less vulnerable to predators? They all just top out at different sizes due to their natural environment, conditions and resources based on locality? Never owned a SD/D so just throwing thoughts out there. Regardless, you all have some good looking retics
    There was a small experiment done with different retics, and it showed even when fed as heavily as a mainland SDs simply do not grow as fast. http://mahn001.tripod.com/id28.html

I was feeding River rat pups and weaned rats every 10-14 days and she went from 3' at 6 months to 4'-4.5' at 1 year. Now she's ~8' at 2.5. For a time after that she was eating rats weekly until she got on larges. She's currently getting colossal rats or .5-1 lb rabbits every 2 weeks. Eventually I plan on feeding her monthly, most likely when she's eating rabbits only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    That was interesting to see. Never looked into it before.
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Caesar was the same way about always being hungry but he was more expressive about it by pushing and generally making lots of noise and messes like "look at me!!". Every one the retic boards told me I was seriously underfeeding him was the bottom line.

Caesar is about 5' also and I was feeding him 150g medium rats. I was told to upsize him to 1-2 large rats or a rabbit or gpig as a 5' retic should easily be eating that that. I argued with the guy lol and he said I still had the boa mind thought about small prey. I finally gave him after a few other people backed him and told me the guy really does know his stuff about retics. I gave Caesar his first large rat about 260g and he ate it like a candy bar. It was gone in about 2 mins and Caesar was definitely happier.

Its not been 3 days and Caesar is starting to move around but still pretty calm, doesn't seem like he's starving like on the medium rats.

So bottom line is throw everything boa about these snakes out the window. They eat BIG food and like big food.

And they grow lots too. I mean your is a mainland that was born 6/2016 and is 5'. Caesar is SD/D born 5/2016 and is also 5'. Gio's is SD/D born I believe 6/2016 and is 5' and Jmcrooks is pure SD born 2/2016 and is 6'. So it seems no matter what they are or feeding, they seem to grow at about the same rate. And Gio feeds his less on longer periods and I feed mine more on shorter periods and they are both about 5'
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017),jmcrook (02-11-2017)

Thanks

I don't really think it's all that necessary to feed them bigger meals. I can understand it in Caesar's case as he seems like a bottomless pit. But I wasn't feeding River larges at 5'. She's not as food driven though.

The other keeper I mentioned with the 15' retic feeds in a way that person would describe as underfeeding and she still reached 15'+ before her death. Feeding in this way just means they reach adult size at 5-6+ years rather than 2-3.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah each snake is probably different. Like I said, if kept Caesar on medium rats, I would have had to have packed stuff all the way around his doors on his AP cage. Plus he was digging and would strike the glass a couple times if I came by fast. Then once he saw me, he would just follow me and stuff. You clearly tell he was really hungry and that was after only 4 days on medium rats.

But I mean with my 4 day feeding schedules and then trying 7 day feeding schedules using medium rats or quails or chicks and sometimes doubling up, Caesar still only grew to about 5' while Gio feeds his once every 10 days on a small rat. So it's just weird how much of difference that was in food intake but about the same growth.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks

Yup. Better to feed him a little more than him mess himself up. He should calm down about the food as he ages, unless he's like my garter Demigod. >.> No matter how much I feed that little bugger he's like your Caesar. I finally just cut his food back again, but he doesn't get an increased feeding response with less food luckily.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Caesar was the same way about always being hungry but he was more expressive about it by pushing and generally making lots of noise and messes like "look at me!!". Every one the retic boards told me I was seriously underfeeding him was the bottom line.

Caesar is about 5' also and I was feeding him 150g medium rats. I was told to upsize him to 1-2 large rats or a rabbit or gpig as a 5' retic should easily be eating that that. I argued with the guy lol and he said I still had the boa mind thought about small prey. I finally gave him after a few other people backed him and told me the guy really does know his stuff about retics. I gave Caesar his first large rat about 260g and he ate it like a candy bar. It was gone in about 2 mins and Caesar was definitely happier.

Its not been 3 days and Caesar is starting to move around but still pretty calm, doesn't seem like he's starving like on the medium rats.

So bottom line is throw everything boa about these snakes out the window. They eat BIG food and like big food.

And they grow lots too. I mean your is a mainland that was born 6/2016 and is 5'. Caesar is SD/D born 5/2016 and is also 5'. Gio's is SD/D born I believe 6/2016 and is 5' and Jmcrooks is pure SD born 2/2016 and is 6'. So it seems no matter what they are or feeding, they seem to grow at about the same rate. And Gio feeds his less on longer periods and I feed mine more on shorter periods and they are both about 5'
    That's what made me think I was underfeeding since Levi is a mainland. He can easily take 2 100+ gram rats. I just don't know when it would be considered power feeding with these guys so I've been giving him one. Never tried a large rat but I might up his feeding and see how he does. I'd just hate to take some years off my favorite snakes life :o
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

Thanks

That's what made me think I was underfeeding since Levi is a mainland. He can easily take 2 100+ gram rats. I just don't know when it would be considered power feeding with these guys so I've been giving him one. Never tried a large rat but I might up his feeding and see how he does. I'd just hate to take some years off my favorite snakes life :o
    If he's taking 2 100 gram rats just bump him to larges. Even though the rats are equal in weight to a mid-sized large rat, a single large will be less food than 2 100 gram rats. River grew 1.5' in about 3 weeks eating 2 small rats once every 2 weeks and I haven't seen growth like that before or since that incident, even when she's eating a single rat/rabbit that leaves a bulge twice as large. I've noticed similar increased growth in my other snakes (not at the same level of course), so nowadays I just avoid feeding multiples completely.

As long as he isn't as hellbent on food as Caesar is, it shouldn't hurt to feed them a little less so long as you're ready to wait a little longer for him to get big

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I love their derpy baby faces, and you captured a decent few in this thread. lol

Both your's and Gio's SDs are growing a lot faster than I've seen to be expected of SDs, their growth is closely matching a "standard" mainland retic's growth when not power fed. They're far outstripping River's growth already, and she's now 8' at 2.5 years old. I'll have to see where she tops out at (around 5-6 years of age), but I'm thinking you guys may have bigger snakes than you planned on your hands if they're already growing faster than my (assumed) mainland.
    Great comments from all. My retic buddy who is as knowledgable as anybody on Retic Nation and has kept and bred everything from mainland retics to king cobras and about everything in between said our SD X Dwarf retics will grow rapidly for the first 2 years and may easily hit 7 feet. Then they will slow DRAMATICALLY after that. He thinks it will be a stretch if Wallace gets close to 10'. At 5' Wallace fits in the palm of my hand.

Caesar may be a tad larger and may end up bigger especially if pushed with food, but Sauzo is sensible and isn't looking for a giant.

River is awesome and looks a lot thicker and much more mature. We are all doing great with these guys.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast