Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

1 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I feel like I've asked before, but where do you get your closet rod mounts and what is the rear perch made of? I know the front is an actual closet dowel and the middle is a large oak branch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,

I missed one of your questions. The rear perch is one of these.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...M4qxcmSZ8cRXM:

Look down at the open picture.

I wrapped it in twine for a little "vine" look.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-09-2018 at 03:20 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Treating .................

Overly sterile enclosures don't have any bacteria, good or bad and an animal that doesn't experience any type of bacteria doesn't have anything in the immune system to deal with potential issues.

I'm not saying make your cage a living dump, but there are some natural organisms that benefit snakes and other animals and it is completely healthy to keep that immune system working and developing, in your care the live plants are a great idea. Some use bioactive soil that will eventually break down waste.

That is another topic altogether.
    .............>.....>

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...he-New-Kingdom
    I am so glad that you touched on this Gio!

I’ve held my tongue for years. There are a lot of folks here, some are OCD types, that think a snake’s enclosure must be equivalent to an operating room.

If that were the case they wouldn’t have lasted anywhere near the thousands of years that they have.

Last edited by Reinz; 03-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-09-2018),Gio (03-09-2018),jmcrook (03-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I try to keep my cages fairly clean but Caesar is a disaster. I actually found him sleeping on top of a poop . I had to lift the hide, then deal with a shoving match with him as he didnt want to be woken up or moved so i shoved him, he shoved me. We went on with this for a couple mins until i got him shoved off the turd. Then i was able to spot clean and F10 it. Then i just put the hide back on top of Caesar and let him be lol. He is such a character.

And I'm one of those OCD people Reinz!!! I hate seeing any poop or piss in my snake cages but with Caesar, it's impossible to catch it all. It's like a game to him i think. He sees how many pisses he can hide from me and i see how many i can find quick enough

On a side note, Pat is going ballistic today. I think i fed him a little small of a meal 2 days ago as he is up in arms atm and any time you go near the front of the cage, he stretches out to investigate flicking his tongue wildly. I think he is hungry. I swear, pythons eat, digest and poop faster than anything lol.

And i thought about doing bioactive. Was going to do it for Pat and still might. The boas would be a bit more work as they kind of tend to bulldoze stuff. They do seem to love potting soil though lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-09-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I try to keep my cages fairly clean but Caesar is a disaster. I actually found him sleeping on top of a poop . I had to lift the hide, then deal with a shoving match with him as he didnt want to be woken up or moved so i shoved him, he shoved me. We went on with this for a couple mins until i got him shoved off the turd. Then i was able to spot clean and F10 it. Then i just put the hide back on top of Caesar and let him be lol. He is such a character.

And I'm one of those OCD people Reinz!!! I hate seeing any poop or piss in my snake cages but with Caesar, it's impossible to catch it all. It's like a game to him i think. He sees how many pisses he can hide from me and i see how many i can find quick enough

On a side note, Pat is going ballistic today. I think i fed him a little small of a meal 2 days ago as he is up in arms atm and any time you go near the front of the cage, he stretches out to investigate flicking his tongue wildly. I think he is hungry. I swear, pythons eat, digest and poop faster than anything lol.

And i thought about doing bioactive. Was going to do it for Pat and still might. The boas would be a bit more work as they kind of tend to bulldoze stuff. They do seem to love potting soil though lol.
    I don't think Reinz meant not cleaning out waste, although it does become benign rather quickly unless you have overly moist conditions. Hopefully we didn't give anybody the wrong idea. I keep a clean cage, but I also don't fully change substrate more than every 6 months. The winter months are times where feeding is less frequent, once the snakes become older. There is less waste and less activity, especially for the boa and royal.

I use a mix of various natural substrates. Cypress, coco husk, bark, Eco-Earth. When I clean, I remove the soiled areas, and replace with new stuff.

Natural substrate does have some odor defeating qualities, and good absorption. If I were to use paper, I'd likely clean daily. Paper doesn't absorb liquid and doesn't cling to feces. A large, busy animal will certainly "paint" an enclosure quickly if dirty paper or cardboard isn't immediately changed.

My cage decor is clean before I put it in, but I don't go overboard cleaning it weekly or monthly. It doesn't mold/rot or get soiled. If I need to mist, I'll let the humidity spike and then allow it to dry out. That way I don't provide eternally wet conditions.

My point here is that having some natural decor isn't as much work as some folks think.

It is all about what you are comfortable and what works for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Sneaky Pete.

I couldn't find him the other night. I started to open the cage and suddenly he appeared.

He's getting his "big boy head". I love the head and neck tie in. You can tell when the head and neck blend in together that they are starting to thicken up.

I noticed he pulled some color off of his head between his eye on his last shed. He's actually under water here.

He should be nice and pretty by his next shed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-17-2018),Reinz (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I love that first pic. I’m always fascinated how curious snakes are just as most other animals in the forest are, so to speak.

Whether popping their head out of the hide or coming up front to great you, there’s just something about it, it connects with me.

Of course the non snake folks think that they are just sizing you up for taste. It’s a shame that so many people are so close minded. Fear can be so irrational.

I like it when head and neck start to blend, a sign of the start of maturing.

Great snake, great set up there.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-18-2018),jmcrook (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I love that first pic. I’m always fascinated how curious snakes are just as most other animals in the forest are, so to speak.

Whether popping their head out of the hide or coming up front to great you, there’s just something about it, it connects with me.

Of course the non snake folks think that they are just sizing you up for taste. It’s a shame that so many people are so close minded. Fear can be so irrational.

I like it when head and neck start to blend, a sign of the start of maturing.

Great snake, great set up there.
    Thanks for the nice comments.

I really enjoy watching these guys. The semi arboreal species are entertaining.
    Retics move so quickly. Pretty fun stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Well, I guess motivation took over LOL!

I posted a lot more in the "Caging" forum but he's going in here tomorrow!

Go to the Caging section if you want to see a bit more of this beauty!
    Amazing !

Just don't see why some folk choose to have these in tubs ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Amazing !

Just don't see why some folk choose to have these in tubs ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think the big, big ones would require some specific details however it would be a lot of fun to see a 16-18 footer 6-8 feet off the floor

Having a lot of animals limits things I’m sure.

A lot of my enjoyment comes from watching the 4 snakes 🐍 we have here utilize what they are given.

I find it very ineteresting and entertaining. 👍

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-18-2018)

Thanks

A shed, a shed skin measurement and a feed.

I finally have some rough stats. Retics are hard to measure. Serpent Widgets can give me 3 different lengths from the same picture so accuracy from that AP seems an estimate in my experience.

I mentioned in another post that we often overestimate the length of our animals when "eyeballing" them and guessing their length.

Wallace shed out the other day and I decided to get a rough estimate of his length. I let the shed dry for a few days, which did allow it to shrink up a bit however the shed wet or dry is still longer than the snake.

Not surprisingly, Wallace wasn't the length I thought he was. I was figuring he was 7' - 7'.6" long. In actuality, the shed was seven feet two inches. Wallace still hasn't hit the seven foot mark. He's close but he's close but not there yet.

He's in wonderful shape and seems to be slowing in growth.

Here he is enjoying a large F/T rat.

He was eager to slam this one down.

Retics seem to eat faster than any snake I've seen, although colubrids, like Kings make quick work of their meals too!

This rat wasn't visible for long.

I took these pictures with an I-Phone 7+ through the cage glass. They turned out pretty decent.

The boy seems to be comfortable in his cage.

Thanks for looking.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-04-2018)

Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast