Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,584

0 members and 2,584 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Wallace is one beautiful animal. Those eyes are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EmilyandArlo; 02-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EmilyandArlo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I was able to somewhat measure Wallace this morning.
    He's a June 1st 2016 hatchie and that puts him at just over 8 months old now. Its funny how this works,

I've always wanted my son's royal to grow large and hit the 5 foot mark. She is maybe 4.5 feet and about 6 years old.

I wanted my boa constrictor to get big, he has and is somewhere between 6-6.5 feet long and thick yet very lean and muscular.
    I wanted the carpet python to be large, she is closing in on 7 feet if not already there, but is really slender.

ALL of the already mentioned snakes were constantly over estimated in size when I was "guessing" where they were at throughout their growth stages.

I figured Wallace was about a 4 footer, and he's actually about 5 feet long. Just like Sauzo's Caesar.
    One thing the other snakes I have did do VS. Wallace was stay fairly still and straight for measurements.

Wallace was not easy, and after I laid down the tape, I was able to get him stretched out for a very brief moment before he started climbing upward.

He is 5 feet long, give maybe 1 inch or take maybe 2 inches. I've been underestimating his size which is funny because I want him to stay in the 9 foot range. Funny how that works LOL!

I will say he fits into hides that the 4 plus foot royal could never fit into.

This just reconfirms that actual size has 2 components. Length alone isn't always something to worry about if you are looking for a manageable pet. The combination of girth/thickness and length is what makes a snake BIG.

Wallace at 6 feet will look tiny compared to a 5 foot blood python.

I guess I'll post one picture. This was one of my "throw aways" from the last session. The same as the others but a bit more blurry. It looks like he's in the jungle, or maybe posing for school pictures.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (02-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

All of my snakes are in constant motion, even the BP and Boas. Every time I reach for the tape measure they start squirming.

I can get a very close estimate when they stretch out along the length of the enclosures.

Last edited by Reinz; 02-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    All of my snakes are in constant motion, even the BP and Boas. Every time I reach for the tape measure they start squirming.

I can get a very close estimate when they stretch out along the length of the enclosures.
    I got an almost exact measurement on the boa yesterday. 6' 3". I'm suspect he'll have a little spurt of growth when he resumes his spring/summer feeding schedule, but I'm thinking he's about to slow to maybe an inch or two a year from here on out.
    Last edited by Gio; 02-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Wow, Wallace is gorgeous!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I love their derpy baby faces, and you captured a decent few in this thread. lol

Both your's and Gio's SDs are growing a lot faster than I've seen to be expected of SDs, their growth is closely matching a "standard" mainland retic's growth when not power fed. They're far outstripping River's growth already, and she's now 8' at 2.5 years old. I'll have to see where she tops out at (around 5-6 years of age), but I'm thinking you guys may have bigger snakes than you planned on your hands if they're already growing faster than my (assumed) mainland.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I love their derpy baby faces, and you captured a decent few in this thread. lol

Both your's and Gio's SDs are growing a lot faster than I've seen to be expected of SDs, their growth is closely matching a "standard" mainland retic's growth when not power fed. They're far outstripping River's growth already, and she's now 8' at 2.5 years old. I'll have to see where she tops out at (around 5-6 years of age), but I'm thinking you guys may have bigger snakes than you planned on your hands if they're already growing faster than my (assumed) mainland.
    Lol I'm guessing you mean me? Yeah Caesar is growing like a weed and now he needs large rats to keep him quiet or else he smushes his face up. I'm going to give him a 'toy' and with the paper towels he's on now, he seems to have fun playing around under them and pushing them. I'm hoping maybe he slows down growing once he hits 1 year old. He hasn't shed in about a month or so, so maybe he will slow down on the growth haha. I just hope he doesn't turn into a 14' snake. I wont get rid of him as for the most part, he is a sweetie that hasn't bit me, pee'd on me, or pooped on me.

And maybe your mainland is really a SD!!!!
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol I'm guessing you mean me? Yeah Caesar is growing like a weed and now he needs large rats to keep him quiet or else he smushes his face up. I'm going to give him a 'toy' and with the paper towels he's on now, he seems to have fun playing around under them and pushing them. I'm hoping maybe he slows down growing once he hits 1 year old. He hasn't shed in about a month or so, so maybe he will slow down on the growth haha. I just hope he doesn't turn into a 14' snake. I wont get rid of him as for the most part, he is a sweetie that hasn't bit me, pee'd on me, or pooped on me.

And maybe your mainland is really a SD!!!!
    Yeah both you and Gio's are growing fast. Lol

I'm starting to think she may be, but I've seen similar growth in another keeper's tiger retic but she reached like 15'+ or so at around 5+ years I think it was. Unfortunately she died from cancer so we won't see how big she'll end up.

I suppose most of the SDs are fed to stay smaller longer but I'd expect yearlings to still only be 3' from what little I've seen discussed.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well I think Gio feeds his smaller food longer periods where as I feed Caesar big food on a shorter period and both are about 5'. Well Caesar I guess could be bigger but I don't know. I am just guesstimating on his size from when he stretches out lol. And both of ours have the same SD percent but his has more dwarf in it where as mine has more mainland in it.

And Jmcrooks Phyllis is a pure SD and I think she is over 5' and just over a year old. So who knows lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well I think Gio feeds his smaller food longer periods where as I feed Caesar big food on a shorter period and both are about 5'. Well Caesar I guess could be bigger but I don't know. I am just guesstimating on his size from when he stretches out lol. And both of ours have the same SD percent but his has more dwarf in it where as mine has more mainland in it.

And Jmcrooks Phyllis is a pure SD and I think she is over 5' and just over a year old. So who knows lol.
    Yeah, Phyllis turns 1 year old in a couple days and is a solid 6'.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2017),Reinz (02-11-2017)

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast