Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

0 members and 3,027 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    The boy skipped medium rats and plunged into larges yesterday.

I was planning on feeding the smalls for a little longer, but after the royal refused, yet again, I sent the rat over to the carpet who refused as well. I was not up for feeding the boa another live large rat so I let Wallace have a go at it. It was over quickly and he was fine with the size.

I won't necessarily keep the larges going every time, but the option is there now.

He hits a year old June 1 and after I drain the remaining small rats here, I'll be feeding large rats and the quail equivalent probably every 14 days.
    Haha welcome to the club. Caesar pounds larges like they are a candy bar. They actually only leave a small lump in him. And you're lucky you can get 14 days out of Wallace. Caesar makes it known when he wants food. Lat night was day 7 and he was PISSED lol. He shoved his giant dog bowl water bowl all over, shoved both hides around and destroyed everything. I woke up to piles of aspen, hides spun around and shoved under the shelves and his water bowl shoved in the warm corner under his shelf.

He also learned how to hold the litter dam and slide down the cage stack to the floor and then release his tail and go exploring haha. I had the door open and was watching tv. And i look to see Caesar on the floor sitting next to the cages all stretched out haha. Put him back and within 15 mins, he was doing it again.

And same here, my BP hasnt eaten since like early February. I just offer her one a week and if she isnt grabbing it in 2 mins, Caesar gets a small rat also. Dont really have the patience anymore for picky eaters lol. Get 2 mins to decide or you go hungry for a week.

Kind of weird your carpet refuses food. Allie used to attack me all the time but one thing she had going for her, she ate like a freakin horse lol.

Sometimes i wish Caesar was more laid back like Wallace for food lol. He isnt as bad as when he was a baby but he definitely lets you know when he wants dinner.

On a side note, I have begun working with being able to pet him on the head lol. Sometimes he's good about it and other times, he's like 'why are you touching my head!!' and he turns around and wanders off. The boas are all good about it and i can pet Rosey or Vicky on the head and even hold it without much if any fuss. Gina is pretty good about it too but Rango is like Caesar, some days ok, some days, he just turns around and wanders off lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-02-2018),Gio (05-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Haha welcome to the club. Caesar pounds larges like they are a candy bar. They actually only leave a small lump in him. And you're lucky you can get 14 days out of Wallace. Caesar makes it known when he wants food. Lat night was day 7 and he was PISSED lol. He shoved his giant dog bowl water bowl all over, shoved both hides around and destroyed everything. I woke up to piles of aspen, hides spun around and shoved under the shelves and his water bowl shoved in the warm corner under his shelf.

He also learned how to hold the litter dam and slide down the cage stack to the floor and then release his tail and go exploring haha. I had the door open and was watching tv. And i look to see Caesar on the floor sitting next to the cages all stretched out haha. Put him back and within 15 mins, he was doing it again.

And same here, my BP hasnt eaten since like early February. I just offer her one a week and if she isnt grabbing it in 2 mins, Caesar gets a small rat also. Dont really have the patience anymore for picky eaters lol. Get 2 mins to decide or you go hungry for a week.

Kind of weird your carpet refuses food. Allie used to attack me all the time but one thing she had going for her, she ate like a freakin horse lol.

Sometimes i wish Caesar was more laid back like Wallace for food lol. He isnt as bad as when he was a baby but he definitely lets you know when he wants dinner.

On a side note, I have begun working with being able to pet him on the head lol. Sometimes he's good about it and other times, he's like 'why are you touching my head!!' and he turns around and wanders off. The boas are all good about it and i can pet Rosey or Vicky on the head and even hold it without much if any fuss. Gina is pretty good about it too but Rango is like Caesar, some days ok, some days, he just turns around and wanders off lol.
    No doubt they slam them down! Large was easy. Our royal has skipped food since January 8. I don't ever get concerned. The carpet likes every 2 months. She wired for it I guess.

Boa will get big rabbit soon.

Wallace is ok with head touching he's been nice lately. No musk or any antics.
    Big cage still in the works. He's fine in his small so far. I'll try to measure him on June 1. Think 5.5 is about right. But after the large he may shoot up.

Thanks
    Yeah he'll probably have a growth spurt when he gets on larges. I've been thinking of trying a jumbo for Caesar. I dont know the sizes you others are offering but a large from the place i go to is about 230G, maybe 250G. And like i said, those leave a small lump in Caesar and afterwards, he is still out and about. The first time he ate a large where it put a very noticeable lump in him was one of the few times where i saw him really content and just curled up on his warm side and looked happy lol.

Wow, your BP is more of a problem eater than mine haha. She was such a good eater as a baby too. Ate every 3-4 days, then once a week like clockwork. Now ever since she became an adult, she goes months without food. Weighed her last night and she is still 1625G.

And yeah, the 3 T25s are in the works right now as well. They should ship around mid July. Then it will be major rearranging of the cages.

Thanks

OMG, he is beautiful. Give him a boop for me....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NibblerGP For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NibblerGP View Post
    OMG, he is beautiful. Give him a boop for me....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the kind words. I hadn't checked this in a while.

Thanks

Happy Birthday Wallace.

OK,

As far as owning this species, I'm happy with the experience so far.

Wallace just hit the 1 year mark today and he's still around 5 1/2 feet long. The nearly 50% amount of SD blood and the 30+% of dwarf blood are playing a role. He is only 18% mainland however he's Tiger which seems to be a gene that includes size.

Enough of the small talk, he's been great and I'm happy to have him. Unfortunately he's in the final stages of shed so I don't have a "Today photo" but I have one I don't think I've posted here yet.

Happy Birthday semi little guy!

Last edited by Gio; 06-01-2017 at 11:46 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-01-2017),Reinz (06-01-2017),Sauzo (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Yeah, Wallace is a lot more super dwarf/dwarf than Caesar and it shows. Caesar is easily 6.5' if not more and ate his first jumbo rat Sunday. He powered that thing down and seemed very happy afterwards. Wasnt all looking around for food still like with large rats and has been very quiet the past few days other than stretching out to relax and calmly looking at me when i walk by lol. Caesar is 31% mainland. I think he's going to be kind of a big boy. Hopefully he doesnt outgrow a 6' cage haha.

Nice little 'picture stick'. I need to make something for Caesar. Funny thing is Caesar actually seems scared of the outdoors haha. Rosey and Gina explore, Luna just lounges, Rango and Vicky hold onto the chair thinking they are going to fall and Caesar wraps around me and just sits there haha. Never would have imagined the biggest snake as being the chicken lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Caesar is easily a foot longer I'm guessing, however I'm not able to measure Wallace at all. He is the one snake here that will not sit still if place flat on the floor. When he decides to go it is fast and I'm not too keen on chasing him around.

He is much larger than any of the other snakes I have here at this age which I expected based on the natural growth rate of the species. I'm expecting a 10 footer, and unless Caesar slows down a great deal, I'd guess he'll be 12'-13'. He is almost double the mainland % as Wallace.

The large rat Wallace had was enough to push a shed cycle, so he seems to be responding growth rate wise according to the prey size jump.

I was hoping he would have shed this morning for a picture or two.

I think Caesar would like a prop and would be fine outdoors.

Keep me posted on his "goings on" and I'll do the same with Wallace.

Thanks
    Lol i hope he doesnt hit 13'. I'd be happy with 10'. He just over a year old so hopefully he'll slow down. He doesnt seem to be putthing on the length like when he was a baby. He is definitely thickening up. You can see it in his neck and body. Not the skinny little worm anymore. He's probably a good 2-2.5" thick at the widest. He's at least as big as Rosey but about half the thickness.

And yeah Caesar is the same about when he wants to move, he moves. It's really evident when he doesnt want play time. He will do everything in his power to get away from me, be it go to the floor and crawl off or stretch out and try to get back into his cage lol. He never gets a bad attitude though. Just doesnt want to sit on me when he wants alone time or he will bat my hand away with his body when i reach in and pet him if he doesnt want to be bothered lol. He is definitely a much more active and faster moving snake than any of my boas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol i hope he doesnt hit 13'. I'd be happy with 10'. He just over a year old so hopefully he'll slow down. He doesnt seem to be putthing on the length like when he was a baby. He is definitely thickening up. You can see it in his neck and body. Not the skinny little worm anymore. He's probably a good 2-2.5" thick at the widest. He's at least as big as Rosey but about half the thickness.

And yeah Caesar is the same about when he wants to move, he moves. It's really evident when he doesnt want play time. He will do everything in his power to get away from me, be it go to the floor and crawl off or stretch out and try to get back into his cage lol. He never gets a bad attitude though. Just doesnt want to sit on me when he wants alone time or he will bat my hand away with his body when i reach in and pet him if he doesnt want to be bothered lol. He is definitely a much more active and faster moving snake than any of my boas.
    I agree, the "body bucking" is interesting. My other snakes will crawl off or make an effort to stay in their cages when not interested in coming out.

Wallace bucks like a horse and if you are not used to it, like I wasn't I was expecting a bite to follow. Now I'm used to the behavior.

I may resort to a string type measurement soon. The Serpent Widget used to be the answer but I've had results differ greatly when using the same snake and I'm not sold on it just yet.

I think he may shed tonight.

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast