Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,084

0 members and 2,084 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: What kind of substrate do you currently use for your ball pythons?

Voters
583. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newspaper

132 22.64%
  • Aspen

185 31.73%
  • Carefresh

14 2.40%
  • Cypress Mulch

53 9.09%
  • Coconut Fiber

44 7.55%
  • Paper Towels

50 8.58%
  • Other (so what is it?)

105 18.01%
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What type of substrate do you use?

I bought a 20 Long snake kit for my first ball python. It came with a bunch of stuff including repti-bark. I have heard some so-so stuff about reptibark. I think it looks nice but when I am done I am going to switch to something else. I have a plethura of newspapers here. However, owning just one snake, I like the natural/earthy look for display so newspaper will be last resort. I think I will try aspen next or some soil type stuff. I think the soil stuff might be a little messier. What bleach to water ratio would be good for cleaing??? And how often do you think? I have onyl had Stryker for a week and he hasn't eaten or pooped yet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsnaps
    I bought a 20 Long snake kit for my first ball python. It came with a bunch of stuff including repti-bark. I have heard some so-so stuff about reptibark. I think it looks nice but when I am done I am going to switch to something else. I have a plethura of newspapers here. However, owning just one snake, I like the natural/earthy look for display so newspaper will be last resort. I think I will try aspen next or some soil type stuff. I think the soil stuff might be a little messier. What bleach to water ratio would be good for cleaing??? And how often do you think? I have onyl had Stryker for a week and he hasn't eaten or pooped yet!
    My vet told me 50/50, but check with yours and if you do use bleach, be sure to rinse until you're blue in the face. You don't want any of the bleach residue/fumes to be left behind. I kept using it, until I found out about the chlorhexidine that ppl mention HERE on site. WONDERFUL stuff!! And it's the same thing that the vets use to clean clinic tables, or soak their instruments in and animal body cleanings during castrations, etc. U can buy a bottle or jug of that stuff and mix it with water.........lasts a good long time.

I prefer a more natural look and like the aspen, but when I first started w/the tank, had to mix some of the coconut hull Eco Earth with it because of humidity problems. I don't have those any more. Some of their homes are aspen-only and some are the aspen/eco earth mixed together....depends on the tank/tub.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I use regular old newspaper , its true it dosnt look that nice , and i would probably use aspen if i only had the one snake. But apart form Bob my royal i have a pair of childrens pythons and a hoggy aswell plus 6 leos , a tokay and a few spiders , so newspaper on the snakes cuts out alot of cleaning and gives me more time to dedicate to all of my beasties

Thanks

I use Newspaper for all my snakes , easy to use readily available and cheap. Not the best looking by any means but I find it practical and effective.

There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Well, Stryker pooped. I tried to pick it up, reptibark is going to have to go, not easy to clean IMO. I picked up some of that eco-earth coconut fiber stuff. IN a week or so I am going to switch to that. Its pretty cheap, I was going to go with aspen but I saw the price of this stuff so I am going to try it. I am having issues with keeping humidity up so hopefully this works. I also picked up some moss/lichen mix to give the tank some color (remember, I only have one snake so I might as well go all out). After I switch the tank over, I will have to post some picks, it will either look awesome or hideous. Heres hoping for the former!!!

Thanks

Cage carpet!! It is awesome. I got two sheets, that i alternate. When ever he sheds i change it with a complete scryb down of the cage!!
    I Got a Ball Python named NATHAIR!!!!!
    (Nathair is irish Gaelic for snake)
    NATHAIR is the coolest snake i could ever hope to own!
    This is my friends and I, on a Saturday night. Might give u a little idea about me, lol.

P.S. I m the one on the far left. Kenny is next to me. And Jimmy is doing his thing on the right.

Thanks

i use terrarium bedding. its the green astro turf looking stuff. great for shedding. aspen is my second choice.

Thanks

Don't have the snakey home yet, but I'm considering using cypress with a piece of repti-carpet underneath (to protect from the UTH). Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

Paper towels (plain white.) It gives you a nice, bright floor to work with and it is so easy to clean (very absorbent too!)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

i use asteo turf cheep, reusable.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast