Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,975

1 members and 1,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Humidity and mites.

Currently going through my first snake mite episode, normally the humidity stays at 60% but we've had to substitute our coastal carpets water bowl (big dog bowl until we find something bigger but not too big) to a big tub which he can properly soak in which is now making the humidity 96%. Which option do I choose here, risk humidity being that high, or have him not be able to soak properly?

I always make a habit of checking the snakes every time they're out and always check the water bowls, trying to get my head around how we have them The only thing we've been in contact with is a second hand vivarium, we did make sure to wash ourself but I guess not carefully enough. The substrate has been changed to paper towels and treatment shall begin tomorrow. The royals are being treated too but they both have enough room to soak if they wish, just the carpet I'm in a bit of a pickle with.
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Snake mites require a high relative humidity - over 75% - to thrive. Below that threshold the larvae have issues with molting and many end up dying due to dehydration.
    http://denardo.lab.asu.edu/publicati...snakemites.pdf

I wouldn't give water bowls big enough so the snakes can soak, I'd aim for humidity of 55-60% in the enclosure to kill off the mites faster. You can give your snakes a bath once a day in some moderately warm (not hot) water with a drop or two of dish soap to help drown the mites on them and give them relief.

Also if you use any of the on-snake mite treatments like Reptile Relief or Frontline, if the snake soaks in its water bowl you don't want it drinking the chemical.
    Last edited by bcr229; 02-06-2017 at 11:09 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

montymiow (02-06-2017)

Thanks

Re: Humidity and mites.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Snake mites require a high relative humidity - over 75% - to thrive. Below that threshold the larvae have issues with molting and many end up dying due to dehydration.
    http://denardo.lab.asu.edu/publicati...snakemites.pdf

I wouldn't give water bowls big enough so the snakes can soak, I'd aim for humidity of 55-60% in the enclosure to kill off the mites faster. You can give your snakes a bath once a day in some moderately warm (not hot) water with a drop or two of dish soap to help drown the mites on them and give them relief.

Also if you use any of the on-snake mite treatments like Reptile Relief or Frontline, if the snake soaks in its water bowl you don't want it drinking the chemical.
    Thanks, glad I asked now thinking I was helping and it's doing the complete opposite .

Our plan of action was remove every non essential item until it's over, remove snake and water bowl, use the spray for the vivarium (had to order it in for next day, having just found no where near me stocks any ) then replace snake and water bowl once soaked and cleaned. Now to try lower the humidity back down, would you suggest ordering the on snake treatments for relief? When he's not soaking he's constantly nose rubbing, which only just started when the mites came to light.
    Last edited by montymiow; 02-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks
    Which spray are you using for the enclosure?

Thanks

The one I'm waiting on being delivered to store is white python no more mites. Here's the description of it.

Description
    No More MitesTM is a new mite spray formulation from WhitePythonTM that kills any insect whilst remaining completely safe to snakes. It is a surface and space spray, meaning that you only need to spray your snake's terrarium rather than put your snake through stress of spraying directly onto it's body. This unique, highly concentrated formulation means fewer treatments are required to completely rid your terrarium of mites and at double the size of it's nearest competitor offers great value for money! It contains 0.25% Pyrethrins, an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers harvested from sustainable plantations in Kenya and Rwanda and bought back to Britain for manufacturing.
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montymiow View Post
    It contains 0.25% Pyrethrins, an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers...
    Those are both insecticides that you do not want your snake ingesting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

montymiow (02-06-2017)

Thanks

Yeah, I was planning on letting that settle while the snakes are soaked and placed into their holding box, obviously taking the water bowl out. I'm completely open to other suggestions as it's the first time having this issue
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend