Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,458

4 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Continuous Tough Shed

Hello, I'm hopping someone can help me with my 4 year old female. She is no stranger to tough sheds but it used to happen only a few times a year. Now she's going through a bad shed every time. I've uped her baths to once a week and she has 2 moist hides but she is still having trouble with her face and toes. These continuous bad sheds have caused her to lose the tips of some of her toes and I'm really starting to worry about her quality of life because of this. Has this happened to anyone else's gecko? I also have 2 other geckos that have never had a problem shedding. (All housed separately)

Tank is 45 gallon long, 2 Tupperware moist hides with fake moss misted every other day, she also has 2 dry hides. Shes fed 3-4 large crickets every other day (wax wurms occasionally as a treat) and has a small bowl of calcium powder. Now she also gets baths weekly instead of biweekly. Thank you for looking and for any feedback.
    Last edited by Zecon44; 02-06-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    What is the humidity in the tank? even though you have 2 moist hides, you may want to try to increase the overall humidity in the tank just a little.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If you are using lights for heat then replace them with an under-tank heater and a thermostat, and then make a solid plexiglass top for the tank. That will help keep humidity in the tank.

Thanks

humidity

humidity is the key to proper sheds.
    open top aquariums simply do not keep the humidity in.
    i would recommend buying a garden sprayer in home depot or lowes. i like the ones from lowes best they spray a better "mist"
    and spray the tank every morning . if you see the gecko is going into a shed mist the tank more often....
    good luck
    Kirk
    Welcome to New Jersey Home of Taxes, Tolls, and Traffic

Thanks
    Thank you guys for your input! I feel stuipd now reading your suggestions because I do a lot of these things for my ball python. I just figured Kaysif my be deficient in something because my other geckos do just fine with the moist hides.

Is it okay to use plastic warp on one side of the tank till I can get some plexiglass? I'll also put some bowls of moss in to mist today and another bath for her. I have to wait on the under tank heating till I can find a thermostat.