Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

2 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best source for a GTP?

I'm still exploring the idea of getting a GTP... Just wanted to ask those in the know where is the best place to get one? I see them on Fauna, kingsnake, the larger store sites, etc... The expo in my area never has them. Just wondering if anyone here ever breeds them by chance or has any recommendations on a good, reliable, trustworthy source/breeder/store for them?

Thanks,
    Jason
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Avoid expos as those are generally common ones like Biak. Do you have a price range you're looking for? Also what locality do you want, or what do you prefer the adult has a chance to look like?

I would avoid kingsnake, but I may be able to point you in the direction once I know you're price range and such.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Southern Chondros, TK Chondros, Harlin Wall, Ryan Burke are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I too was thinking of a GTP awhile back as well lol. If it's your first GTP, I was told by a lot of people that you should go for a CBB. You pay more but with a GTP, you want as much of the deck stacked in your favor to start with on your first one. If you buy a farmed one like from Bushmaster, factor in a vet bill and a round of parasite/dewormer in with the price and know a good vet lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Best source for a GTP?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Avoid expos as those are generally common ones like Biak. Do you have a price range you're looking for? Also what locality do you want, or what do you prefer the adult has a chance to look like?

I would avoid kingsnake, but I may be able to point you in the direction once I know you're price range and such.

I like the Merauke and Biak's. I just like the lighter, bright neat looking greens. I like the Green and yellow look of the Biaks. As much as they change color, it's going to be hard to pick... lol.

As far as budget... I can't afford to spend 1k on a pet snake... A local box pet store recently had a nice Biak that I liked for 299. Is that a decent price?
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If you're on facebook, join the group called "Green Tree Pythons~ Buy, Sell, Trade" or something like that. It's active and there are a bunch of reliable breeders there.

Jayson Rafter, Harlin Wall, and Ian Bessell are good people and breeders!

I'd buy a USCBB animal, just to play it safe.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-03-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    As far as budget... I can't afford to spend 1k on a pet snake... A local box pet store recently had a nice Biak that I liked for 299. Is that a decent price?
    It's a good price for a neonate that is USCBB with a pedigree. It's not a very good price for a GTP from a pet store, which are basically wild caught.

Here's something to read through, if you haven't found it already! http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/topic...s#.WJTxsvkrKUk

You can find a load of awesome USCBB neonates for under $500, no worries.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-03-2017 at 05:14 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Do you have a price range you're looking for? Also what locality do you want, or what do you prefer the adult has a chance to look like?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have actually been looking into one of these also. I really just want a pet, not for breeding or anything. Ideally, I would like to get a female USCB with some blue or calico in it. I would like to keep it under $1000 if possible. Age doesn't matter.

Something like:

or

I have seen some like this on fauna, but I am not willing to spend $3500.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have actually been looking into one of these also. I really just want a pet, not for breeding or anything. Ideally, I would like to get a female USCB with some blue or calico in it. I would like to keep it under $1000 if possible. Age doesn't matter.

Something like:

or

Unfortunately, you won't find ones like the first one for under $1000, not even close.. The second one is also unlikely, but you might find one similar if you look hard enough LOL.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-03-2017 at 09:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Regius_049 (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post

Something like:

or

Second on looks like a Manokwari/Sorong. Those don't come cheap especially USCBB. You can expect to drop $1000+ for one. And the calico, you can expect at least $1000+ as well. I would be surprised if you found either of those under that price. I was looking into getting either the Sorong/Manokwari or Jayapura/Cyclops Mountain type.

The biggest thing that stopped me was the thought of dropping $1000 on a hatchling and then having it drop dead from me not being precise with the set up. Quick $1000 down the toilet. If you really want one, I would start on a cheaper one like a biak and 'learn' from that one. Once you 'master' the set up on them and stuff, then move up to the more expensive ones.

Let me rephrase, I'd be surprised if you found a high blue one for under $1000. I'm sure you could probably find a lower grade one for cheaper. It's like the Pucallpa Peruvian BCC I'm planning to get from Vin Russo or Joel Diaz. They will be selling lower grade ones for $1000 and $600 respectively but the price will go up for better colors and patterns.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-03-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Regius_049 (02-03-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Unfortunately, you won't find ones like the first one for under $1000, not even close.. The second one is also unlikely, but you might find one similar if you look hard enough LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Second on looks like a Manokwari/Sorong. Those don't come cheap especially USCBB. You can expect to drop $1000+ for one. And the calico, you can expect at least $1000+ as well. I would be surprised if you found either of those under that price. I was looking into getting either the Sorong/Manokwari or Jayapura/Cyclops Mountain type.

The biggest thing that stopped me was the thought of dropping $1000 on a hatchling and then having it drop dead from me not being precise with the set up. Quick $1000 down the toilet. If you really want one, I would start on a cheaper one like a biak and 'learn' from that one. Once you 'master' the set up on them and stuff, then move up to the more expensive ones.

Let me rephrase, I'd be surprised if you found a high blue one for under $1000. I'm sure you could probably find a lower grade one for cheaper. It's like the Pucallpa Peruvian BCC I'm planning to get from Vin Russo or Joel Diaz. They will be selling lower grade ones for $1000 and $600 respectively but the price will go up for better colors and patterns.
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Assuming the second image type is more readily available, what am I looking at price-wise to buy one and what breeders would be the best places to start looking?

Any others besides Vin or Joel?
    Last edited by Regius_049; 02-03-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast