Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

4 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake Vs Corn

I have owned two corn snakes before, but had to give it up dew to the fact
    that I had to work overseas for a while, and I was barely home. But im back now and I want to get another snake.

But thats where you you guys come in, I must choose between a Western Hognose, Another Corn snake, or a Grey banded kingsnake.

I have read up about WHN and GBK but Im looking for one with a nice personality, and not too big. handling between the
    two? which one would you advise? which one likes handling more? and how long does it take
    for the GBK to get over their musking issue? Are they better than Cal Kings? their temper?

If you have experience with all, please help me out. Thanks

Thanks

Re: Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake

Well that's a toughie, hoggies are adorable, though they can be finicky feeders when young. My hoggie is a bit hissy, but great once out of her enclosure. Corns are always great snakes, simple husbandry, laid back attitude, I have 2 and I love them dearly. Grey bands are also winners, harder to find, but stay smaller. They can be musky, but anything can musk when frightened. I thoroughly enjoyed working with neonate grey bands when I was assisting my friend that breeds snakes, they were sweet little babies, difficult to get feeding though.

Which would I advise? I'm not sure that I could choose between the 3.

GBK: I never had issues with getting musked with the GBKs, though they did musk my friend a good bit. They also nipped him a few times, though I never got nipped at haha. He was the one that sexed the snakes, so maybe they got off on a bad foot. The adults were beautiful, and very docile in temperament.

Hoggies: Great snakes, and who doesn't love that upturned nose? They require a tad more heat than the other 2, and I keep UV light on to stimulate a more natural day night cycle. Very active during the day, and out in the open as opposed to hiding. You may get the hiss and headbutt intimidation display, but they rarely bite. I think my girl bit my boyfriend twice, but it was close to feeding day, so I don't attribute that to an aggressive personality by any means.

Corns: you know about keeping corns They're great snakes, don't mind handling at all, great eaters, what's not to love?

Good luck! You have a tough decision to make! I look forward to hearing which snake you choose to go with

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eavlynn For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would go for the GBK if it were me. WHN are neat, but I was never really a hognose person. I've owned corn snakes as a kid, and wouldn't get one again, just not a big want on them. Kings are awesome, and you can get a wide array of personalities. Some will musk, some won't at all, then some are nippy as babies. You can get over any of those eventually as long as you're willing to work with the snakes. My rat snake which I got towards the end of last year bit me every chance he got. I just kept working with him and now he doesn't bite. He will still try to rattle his tail when I touch him in the enclosure but he's fine out.

So, my vote goes to the king.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-03-2017)

Thanks

Ahh its just so hard to decide, dew to the fact that I love all snakes! but that sound really interesting what you said about hoggies which is calm once out of enclosure. but now I want to know, are they snakes that will just sit and relax with you, like brown house snakes ive had once aswell, or are they like corns, they just move around and tend to be on a mission? And one last thing, are they more curious than other snakes, like corns? mine always hid. never in the open. And the GBK are hard to find, especially here in Africa where I stay! :\ Thank You, Ill be waiting for your response
    Last edited by Houghie; 02-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

I understand, I know the brown house snake ive had was very aggressive< it was wild caught. But I handled him every ay, and now he does'nt even strike. It all depends on the snake itself. But If I get a GBK in my area I will definitely take it aswell. Are they expensive snakes? have'nt seen one yet here.

Thanks

Western Hognose, Corn snake or Grey banded kingsnake

I have owned two corn snakes before and a brown house snake, but had to give it up dew to the fact
    that I had to work overseas for a while, and I was barely home. But im back now and I want to get another snake.

But thats where you you guys come in, I must choose between a Western Hognose, Another Corn snake, or a Grey banded kingsnake.

I have read up about WHN and GBK but Im looking for one with a nice personality, and not too big. handling between the
    two? which one would you advise? which one likes handling more? and how long does it take
    for the GBK to get over their musking issue? Are they better than Cal Kings? their temper?

Thanks

Re: Western Hognose, Corn snake or Grey banded kingsnake

We have two kings - a Mexican Black and a Thayeri-phase Mexican. Both are absolute sweethearts, very easy to handle, never had a bad attitude.

We also have a Hoggie, but she's got issues from a lopsided head that affect her handling, so I can't make a useful comparison between her and the kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-04-2017)

Thanks

I live in PA, the babies were selling for about 100 dollars a piece here. Give or take a bit depending on coloration and gender.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks
    If your in living in Africa i would look around to see what you can find in local pet shops to get an idea for the market. Shipping snakes overseas can be very expensive. Local breeders would be something to look into.

Thanks

Western hognose, corn snake or Grey banded Kingsnake

I have owned two corn snakes before and a brown house snake, but had to give it up dew to the fact

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast