Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

0 members and 2,822 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: UVB light?

Thanks

UVB light?

Is this bulb a UVB bulb?

http://www.satco.com/s8130.html

I work with a pet store and this is the lamp we use for our dragons and we suspect it doesn't provide enough UVB for them. Some dragons have been seen by a vet and the vet says the dragons had no metabolic bone disease or calcium deficiency but we've had a few dragons have limb weakness, limb bending, and muscle twitching. If this bulb does not serve as a UVB, then I want to bring this up to the district manager and get the correct lights purchased.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: UVB light?

It doesn't look like a UVB bulb. Usually it would say if it is and I'm not seeing anything, but I could be wrong.
    The one of the best UVB light for Bearded Dragons is the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0. I use it for both my beardies and its great. You can pick from several sizes (depending on how big the petstore's cages are). It will definitely help them with the weak limbs!! And making sure the beardies at the store are getting fed properly, the right amount of bugs per dragon and dusting them with calcium every feeding and vitamin +D3 twice a week.
    https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061...+10.0+uvb+bulb
    Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
    Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
    Hermit Crabs 1.1 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine)

Thanks
    I know the Zoo Med lights are good but our set up is a pre-made system provided to us by corporate. We can't change the fixtures to allow the Zoo Med bulbs. But it doesn't appear to me or even one of the leads that these lights provide UVB. The little dragon we have right now has mobility issues with her legs right now. She will sit on them or not straighten them if she lays on them funny. She gets around okay and eats just fine. She's growing. But the limb issue worries me.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There is a meter you can buy to check for correct UVB levels. Just learned that last night, Kenan of Kamp Kenan YouTube videos. IIRC, the video on Greek Tortoise care. He also recommends the ZooMed light in that video.

The dragons won't be saleable, if they grow deformed while still in the store. Maybe you can just add the ZooMed fixture on top? I don't own a dragon, but as far as I know, UVB is a must have.
    Last edited by distaff; 02-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You would have to buy a solarmeter to check the UVB. They are a few hundred dollars. Most coil UVB bulbs aren't good as they release lower spectrum UVB which damages eyes. They might be better now but a few years ago, they weren't. I personally use Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO for my beardie. Also remember screening will filter out like 50% or more of the UVB

Sounds to me you and the manager need to just do some 'altering' and rig up a fluorescent tube setup to go on top. If you cant get rid of the screening, use HO tubes. They give off a lot of UVB and will be able to offset the loss from the screen. Beardies and pretty much any diurnal lizard or turtle/tortoise must have UVB or they will die. Its how they create D3 to absorb calcium.

Oh another thing you can use is a mercury vapor bulb. Those work well but they get VERY hot and cant be dimmed so you need to set them up at the proper height as they also output LOTS of UVB. I used to use MegaRay MVBs but after the fiasco with the company and the fact that their MVBs put out really nice UVB but no heat so I had to run a 2nd heat bulb, I just went back to using 2 22" ReptiSun T5 HO.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-01-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Anyone else have any thoughts on the bulb? I know some people have used fluorescent bulbs that are uvb that are not usually marketed for reptiles but still serve that purpose. I need to know if anyone has any idea if that particular bulb is UVB?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

It's just a fluorescent tube. What size is the light fixture? Is it a t5 or t8?? If so, you can just pop a ReptiSun in

Thanks
    I believe it's a t5 but I'm not 100% sure.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

If it is a t5, you might be able to get a ReptiSun tube to fit in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Is this bulb a UVB bulb?

http://www.satco.com/s8130.html

I work with a pet store and this is the lamp we use for our dragons and we suspect it doesn't provide enough UVB for them. Some dragons have been seen by a vet and the vet says the dragons had no metabolic bone disease or calcium deficiency but we've had a few dragons have limb weakness, limb bending, and muscle twitching. If this bulb does not serve as a UVB, then I want to bring this up to the district manager and get the correct lights purchased.
    Can I use a 18in fluorescent fixture and 18in fluorescent daylight bulb 15-17 watts from Walmart? Just the regular ones we use