Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Carpet handling

Thanks
    You guys... I'm freaking out..I need ALL THE SNAKES

But seriously, this is why the hobby is so great, every species has something unique and appealing to offer. Man, i might have to just keep looking at all of them and wait for an individual to grab my fancy regardless of species. I will say that i am leaning toward something a bit heavy bodied; as much as i like when Irwin slips through my fingers, i pine for a snake that i can pat with the palm of my hand. Keep in mind my hands are not terribly big, so no anacondas necessary lol.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Lots of good info in this thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Carpet handling

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    I will say that i am leaning toward something a bit heavy bodied; as much as i like when Irwin slips through my fingers, i pine for a snake that i can pat with the palm of my hand. Keep in mind my hands are not terribly big, so no anacondas necessary lol.
    Check out blood and short-tailed pythons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Go for a burm then but be sure to check your city and county regulations first. And if you get one, get a caramel burm and post lots of pics so I can drool lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Once I got accustomed to my son's ball, I realized I wanted a snake (a joke, right, who wants just one?!). So I started my research (mostly on here because there are no other sources like this place, that I have found). I determined that I wanted a smaller boa and happened to find one, locally, at a pet store. They had just got this Hog Island boa in and he was super looking and handled, in the store, easily. I brought him home in a little box (salespeople are such :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:s, some time) and I put him in a three foot enclosure, very happy with my new snake. He has grown to a strong, 4 1/2 foot, super pet - still love the guy. Then a Jungle Carpet showed up on Kijiji and I talked my wife into needing another snake. The seller delivered her to my door, a little, black and yellow worm and I was thrilled with her. She is a great little doll - still not very heavy or thick but quite long and slim (her sheds are always a treat). Then I happened onto a Brazilian Rainbow that I bought from a young guy who serviced my pellet stove (super deal and an amazing snake). He is smooth scaled (almost glasslike) and fantastic looking snake, especially in the sunlight. He has grown to just a bit over 4 feet and is a typical boa - strong and fun. They are all great animals and I am pleased with them all. I knew that I wanted certain species of snakes but didn't have any particular one in mind (other than I didn't want a snake that grew too big, too fast - my Hog Island will be big enough for me) and when ones showed up, for sale, that interested me, I bought. I don't think that I will get more as four seems to be the right number for my household and lifestyle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BWB For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (02-05-2017)

Thanks

It's easier that way
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

But seriously, this is why the hobby is so great, every species has something unique and appealing to offer. Man, i might have to just keep looking at all of them and wait for an individual to grab my fancy regardless of species. I will say that i am leaning toward something a bit heavy bodied; as much as i like when Irwin slips through my fingers, i pine for a snake that i can pat with the palm of my hand. Keep in mind my hands are not terribly big, so no anacondas necessary lol.
    Hard to beat a pure, locality, female BCC. Suriname or Peruvian boas are some of the largest around when it comes to boa constrictors.

Foot for foot, inch for inch, the strongest, most densely muscled of the 4 snakes I have experience with.

A boa constrictor will give you something unique as far as behavior. They will spend time climbing and perching if set up for it, and spend time on the ground. They are very easy to handle and chill out with. They are not under direct fire when it comes to most regulations.

I certainly can't pick a favorite between my boa, carpet and retic, (sorry royal python you are great, but not very interesting) so it depends on you, and what you are after.

I personally prefer busier snakes, however the retic here is the least relaxing to handle. He is loads of fun in other areas for me. The carpet here is excellent to handle, but the BIG, thick and chilled out boa constrictor will always be the couch companion.

You may find that in a Burm, however I'd stick with the male sex, and don't overfeed it.

Come to think of it, there are dwarf Burms out there but I'm not well versed in the breeders of the species.

If you are experienced and want to raise the bar, look into dwarf or dwarf x SD retics. My experience with them is limited, but very positive.

It seems the higher % SD models run a bit more flighty. Mine can almost jump, I'm not exaggerating,theat either. They are able to move/twitch their bodies very quickly and if they want to run on you, be prepared for it.

Enjoy whatever you pick out. I can help you with the boas, the carpet, and the retic to an extent as I've only had mine for about 5 months.
    Last edited by Gio; 02-05-2017 at 12:06 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (02-05-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234