Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

3 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Finally paired my surinames

I really hope it goes well! Keep us updated. How long does the males get?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gc99 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (04-02-2017)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerhawk View Post
    Any updates? How are thing's progressing?
    She's getting huge fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Fraido (04-03-2017),Gio (04-13-2017),jmcrook (04-02-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

SOOOO EXCITING!!!

So the dame came from Ben Seigel, what is the sire's blood line?

I've been looking for a nice male to add to my collection - absolutely no interest in breeding though, I give you a lot of credit for going ahead with your breeding project.

Best of luck!!!
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    SOOOO EXCITING!!!

So the dame came from Ben Seigel, what is the sire's blood line?

I've been looking for a nice male to add to my collection - absolutely no interest in breeding though, I give you a lot of credit for going ahead with your breeding project.

Best of luck!!!
    He came from a local breeder in the Chicagoland area. So these babies are just my line. This breeding was influenced by my love for the aberration and colors in my female. She has the traits of many original imports that people are breeding out of them in an attempt to create super clean boas with perfect saddles. I want the opposite while keeping them pure, and preferably unrelated.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-03-2017),Gio (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the updates. She looks great, I know you can hardly wait for the babies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll keep this thread going with updates. These pics were taken today. She's getting ready to shed so she's looking dull but man is she fired up today. All of her pinks are showing. Her scales are beginning to spread at the widest point 3/4 down her body. Day 100 after her last shed would put her being due around the last week of May. She refused a medium rat 2 weeks ago so no more feedings until the babies come.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    This breeding was influenced by my love for the aberration and colors in my female. She has the traits of many original imports that people are breeding out of them in an attempt to create super clean boas with perfect saddles. I want the opposite while keeping them pure, and preferably unrelated.

I really admire this and agree with it.

We will always "selectively breed" animals to some extent. After all we are the ones putting the snakes together and starting the process, however I feel its important to keep the "wild type" traits alive.

I like that idea that all of my animals, even my tiger retic morph would likely survive if let back into the wild, at least based on their patterns and coloring.

Some of the most beautiful boas I've ever seen anywhere were photographed in the wild.

Your female is absolutely stunning IMO. I love speckling and side medallions, she has both of those qualities!
    Last edited by Gio; 04-13-2017 at 07:31 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (04-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gc99 View Post
    I really hope it goes well! Keep us updated. How long does the males get?

I'm sorry, I didn't even see this question! Males generally stay smaller than females, like most boas and pythons, but each individual is different. I'd say a good average for a male BCC would be around 5-6 feet max but there are always exceptions to the rule. Boas are very different when it comes to their prey in the wild. Therefore their bodies digest and process fats very differently than pythons. This is the reason it's strongly recommended to never over feed a boa. Twice monthly feedings or a prey item that is smaller than what you'd feed a python of the same size/age is recommended for juvies. Adults do not need more than a large rat monthly. These boas can suffer from fatty liver disease and other fat related issues which greatly shortens their life. Birds are the healthiest food item for these boas since they are lean and easier on their systems. In the wild these boas spend more than half their lives in the trees, taking birds and lizards mostly. My 2 have been slow grown in this way, but my female is still quite large with a massive head. Tho she's never been round. They should always maintain a muscular and rectangular shape. My male seems small for a 5 year old at less than 5 ft, but he's quite healthy and has the perfect shape and tone to his body. He is not done growing by far, but he is growing at a healthy rate. Too many people over feed their boas and end up with fat, unhealthy boas. Even common BCI should not be round like a python. I know I went off on a tangent here but I always try to explain these points to anyone asking about boas. A boas feeding and diet is the most important thing in my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't even see this question! Males generally stay smaller than females, like most boas and pythons, but each individual is different. I'd say a good average for a male BCC would be around 5-6 feet max but there are always exceptions to the rule. Boas are very different when it comes to their prey in the wild. Therefore their bodies digest and process fats very differently than pythons. This is the reason it's strongly recommended to never over feed a boa. Twice monthly feedings or a prey item that is smaller than what you'd feed a python of the same size/age is recommended for juvies. Adults do not need more than a large rat monthly. These boas can suffer from fatty liver disease and other fat related issues which greatly shortens their life. Birds are the healthiest food item for these boas since they are lean and easier on their systems. In the wild these boas spend more than half their lives in the trees, taking birds and lizards mostly. My 2 have been slow grown in this way, but my female is still quite large with a massive head. Tho she's never been round. They should always maintain a muscular and rectangular shape. My male seems small for a 5 year old at less than 5 ft, but he's quite healthy and has the perfect shape and tone to his body. He is not done growing by far, but he is growing at a healthy rate. Too many people over feed their boas and end up with fat, unhealthy boas. Even common BCI should not be round like a python. I know I went off on a tangent here but I always try to explain these points to anyone asking about boas. A boas feeding and diet is the most important thing in my opinion.

I appreciate you going "off topic" because im trying to gather as much info on BCC or BCI as i can, because i plan on owning one in the future, if you could talk a bit more about feeding that would be anazing

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gc99 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (04-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gc99 View Post
    I appreciate you going "off topic" because im trying to gather as much info on BCC or BCI as i can, because i plan on owning one in the future, if you could talk a bit more about feeding that would be anazing

Honestly your best source of information on this would be Vin Russo's book - The complete boa constrictor. He has raised and bred many of the different locales for years. He goes into detail about the individual needs of each locale. I own a pair of Vins Sabogae boas. My all time favorite locale. Another thing to do would be to search these forums. I do know there is an old thread on here from quite a few years ago about how a breeder lost most of his boas due to feeding them the huge lab rats that are bred specifically to be overweight for lab use. They are called Zucker rats I believe. Use that word in the search bar and you'll find it. That thread in particular has some good information on diet and the dangers of over feeding. Definitely invest in Vins book as well. I commend you for doing research on them. Boas are definitely awesome to have. They are easily my favorite snakes, and I have quite a few different species.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-15-2017),Gio (04-14-2017)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast