Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 868

2 members and 866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    So far the little guy is still alive I Had to turn the ceramic heat bulb back on as temps were dropping below 70 on the cool side but I'm keeping a eye on the humidity and its staying good
    He has been coming out and roaming the tub every night so when I saw his head poking out last night I dropped a fuzzy mouse (little small but it was all I could find that wouldn't harm him) infront of him to see if he would eat he paid no attention to it except to shy away when it touched him I left it over night and it was still in there this morning.
    Hes drinking though and drinking alot hes went through 2-3 times the water as the female I got at the same time.
    The place that I got the fuzzys from suggested I try repti boost but im afraid that might stress him out.
    I talked to the seller and they offered my money back if I'd ship the snake back or a $25 credit if I wanted to keep it I dont think the snake would survive shipping it back so i think im going to keep it and see if I can find someone locallythat can help me save him
    On a lighter note when i opened his tub this morning to see if the fuzzy was gone he decided to make a break for it and try to escape and then didnt want to go back in

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sargentnoid For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-31-2017),tttaylorrr (01-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    With him roaming that much and trying to escape, make sure that the temps aren't to hot where he is staying at. Meaning..he is low to the ground. Either right on top of, or actually "in" the substrate. Usually they push the substrate away enough to be directly on the bottom.

With the heat tape underneath and the ceramic heat on top, you might be creating VERY warm temps where his body actually is. When people measure the "ambient" they often overlook that the snake is so low to the ground, that the ambient down there is quite "higher" then higher up. Substrate also causes the heat from heat tapes to get higher. Make sure he can actually thermoregulate. Also, make sure that the ceramic isn't actually heating up the substrate on the cool side. It heats up the air/ambient, but it eventually radiates up onto the substrate and warms it up.

I'm not saying it IS to hot, just make sure he has an actual cooler side, ambient and ground.

I'm not a fan of repti boost or anything like this. Him drinking well is a good thing.

There is one more thing that will prevent a hatchling to eat, and will eventually kill it. That is internal parasites like hookworms. That is not really common, but it happens. (cross contamination, etc) A vet can check a fecal, but the problem is, with that hatchling not having eaten in a long time (if ever) there is no waste to take to the vet. I'm not sure if the vet could carefully extract anything worthwhile with a swab. But the stress of all that could very well make things worse, too. Not treating it "if" that is the problem is just as bad, though. Perhaps others can chime in ? Or you could try to track down a Vet with good knowledge of reptiles and ask their opinion on what you could do if anything in this case. Make sure that vet is actually good with reptiles and understands the dilemma of getting a fecal done on a non feeding snake.

Other then double checking temps, you could try a hopper mouse. Now if even that doesn't work and the snake is loosing even more weight, you might have to take this further. Meaning either a vet check or assist feeding.

Again, if it ends up that this hatchling doesn't make it, do not blame yourself. It should have NEVER been shipped in that condition.

I think its speaks well of you that you will not ship this snake back for a refund. I don't believe that little one would survive that additional stress.

All that said, I'm not impressed with the seller. I know its said and done, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Normally, offering a refund in return for the item (snake) is exactly what should be done and expected of both sides. But in this case I don't feel its really fair. For the very fact that this snake arrived almost half the weight then advertised. Not only that, the pictures clearly show an extremely emaciated animal. Being that its a hatchling, chances are, it never fed. Those hatchlings should never be sold or shipped. Because sometimes despite best efforts, they do not make it. And you can't expect a buyer to be experienced enough to take on such a difficult case. Unless it is with "disclosure" at a reduced (or free) price. Of course "most" people will get attached or feel bad enough for the animal to want to save it. Or at least, not send it back and knowing that this will most likely kill it. I don't think this was handled correctly or fairly, this hatchling should have stayed at the breeder until it was a established feeder and chubby, like they should be. Ok, rant over.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2017),Booper (04-24-2017),Kira (01-31-2017),Mamak (02-02-2017),Sargentnoid (01-31-2017),Trisnake (02-09-2017),tttaylorrr (01-31-2017)

Thanks
    I have the probe for the cool end laying on the substrate and I have been using a ir thermometer to spot check as of this morning hot side probe mounted under substrate reads 91f cool side probe on top of substrate reads 81f and spot checks all read around 80f he hasnt dug down and that surprised me but i figured he would if he needed heat

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sargentnoid For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-31-2017),Slither Seeker (03-03-2017),zina10 (01-31-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Zina is spot on. On another note I would like to know what online breeder this is. I have no interest in bashing on here but i certainly would never recommend them to anyone and I'd let the story be known. This wasnt a mistake. No snake goes from 100 to 50g over night or over a coupl weeks for that matter...
    healthy hatchlings are normally born around 55 to 80 grams as far as im aware "someone will correct me if im wrong" and 12"-15" in length. This poor guy you said is 20"L + and the weight of a newborn.
    I have a smaller petite female 3.5 months old, she was only 57 grams when i got her, but she was born just a lil thing and has grown and eaten like clock work.. So there is a differnce in just a smaller hatchling and one that isnt eating and or unhealthy...
    Its awsome your not worried about the money and you understand shipping it would most likeley be the end. People like you are people that become great caring reptile owners. Im pulling for the little guy, keep this thread updates. I subscribed
    The link below is for Reptile Breeders/Sales ect..Review "BOI". I'd sign up as most of us are on there also and put this situation out there. As Zina said, this BP should never have been sold period.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Mamak (02-02-2017),Sargentnoid (01-31-2017),tttaylorrr (01-31-2017),zina10 (01-31-2017)

Thanks
    Im not seeing the link you are talking about am I just missing it?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sargentnoid For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Very skinny ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentnoid View Post

Fauna Classifieds Board of Inquiry
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-01-2017),Sargentnoid (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I would consider switching the substrate to 100% cypress mulch or at best mixing it. Consider placing it under both hides if you choose to mix it. Definitely stay on point with your temperature and humidity. Also consider a extremely tighter fitting hide like a toilet paper roll (maybe two pushed in together). Don't attempt to feed him for three consecutive days and nights. On the third night offer a small live mouse in the dark and late at night. Keep the water fresh and colored with pedialite.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Sargentnoid (02-01-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentnoid View Post
    Im sorry I rambled so much I forgot to post it hahahah. tttaylorrr posted it 2 replies below my comment.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I would consider switching the substrate to 100% cypress mulch or at best mixing it. Consider placing it under both hides if you choose to mix it. Definitely stay on point with your temperature and humidity. Also consider a extremely tighter fitting hide like a toilet paper roll (maybe two pushed in together). Don't attempt to feed him for three consecutive days and nights. On the third night offer a small live mouse in the dark and late at night. Keep the water fresh and colored with pedialite.
    Make sure if you go with the toilet paper roll to stuff one end with either paper towel or toilet paper so there is only one way in and one way out!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Sargentnoid (02-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Ok I switched out to mostly reptibark and added 2 toilet paper rolls pushed together with paper towel in the end tomorrow ill get some pedialite didnt know about that but it makes sense
    I did find a very small bowl movment in there about the size of a pencil eraser when I was emptying out the shavings

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast