Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

2 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally bringing Punkin home!

I don't know if any of you remember but about 3 months ago we agreed to take a ball python in need of rehoming. Shortly thereafter I got Baby for Mother's Day. Well since then we've been working with the young couple that own Punkin trying to find a free weekend to meet. They live about 5 hours south of us here in Michigan.

Well finally we are meeting! We are driving downstate tonight to meet them halfway and pick up Punkin (can you tell I'm excited)! Here are two pics of Punkin we were sent when we first agreed to take her (him). Sorry I don't know how to make them a bit smaller.

Just a few questions and please feel free to add any suggestions.

Punkin is about 18 months old and has been in their home since it was about 2 months old. They really have tried their best but are a young couple and admit they just didn't know much about snakes (got the snake as a gift apparently). Punkin eats one adult mouse per week (f/t) and has never been offered more than one, generally eats well with the occasional refusal, sheds reasonably well tho occasionally retains a bit of shed (they do know how to soak it off), has never been ill or had mites/ticks but has never seen a vet and is easily handled (does not bite or hiss at them).

We plan on keeping the two snakes strictly apart until we have a clean vet check on Punkin (both Baby and Punkin are scheduled for vet visits/sexing in the next week or two). Punkin will live in our bedroom until we are sure she/he is healthy and also acclimatized to our busy household. After that Punkin will live in a seperate bin but in the same room as Baby.

We feed p/k. I'm going to try offering Punkin p/k as I assume if she eats f/t that pre-killed is okay to offer. Should we just stick with the one a week until she's settled in then offer a second mouse as our 5 month old takes either 1 or 2 a week already?

To your experienced eyes does Punkin look reasonably okay. Seems sorta small compared to the growth of our 5-6 month old to my eyes. The retained shed in the one pic was dealt with btw. I don't believe this snake has ever been abused or neglected but the owners are very open in admitting they just don't have the knowledge to continue with her (personally I think they are a great couple and making the right decision for the snake).

Wish us luck with our new snake! Oh Mike wants everyone to know these snakes are definitely getting new names as soon as they are properly sexed as he's just not willing to live with two snakes called (snicker...snicker)....Baby and Punkin! Men are such goofs LOL.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Finally bringing Punkin home!

I know you've been waiting to get Punkin for so long, so congrats! I really like her pattern. Ever since someone mentioned alien heads, that's all I can see now. I'm trying to get them to look like hearts but dang it if the alien head thing doesn't seem to win. Oh well, enough of my neurosis. It looks like Punkin has really lucked out, since she will now been fawned over and meticuously cared for. I know she'll have a good home with you and your family.

I think you'll probably be fine with p/k and offering two. Go ahead and feed her the first one, and if she looks like she wants another go ahead and try it. If she doesn't eat it you can always freeze it and have next weeks meal ready and waiting.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

congrats on your new bp
    A Time for Peace A Time for War

Thanks

I would let your new BP get acclimated to it new surrounding for at least a week and half to two weeks. This should get a very strong feeding response from your new BP and your BP will probably eat 2-3 instead of the one. It could also start your snakes eating habitats to increase, which in turn would get your BP that nice healthy (not Fat) round shape that is desired by most owners. I did notice he is a little triangle shaped, but still a good looking juvenile. Best of luck with your new BP and I hope to see some post in the near future with some updates. (This is all just opinion not fact so take it for whatever its worth)

Thanks

So what does it mean exactly when the snake is triangle shaped? does that mean its underfed? or something else?

VP of Cool
    Thanks

A really cute snakey you got there
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Just a quick update on Punkin since it's 2:30 a.m. We had the trip from hell getting her (or him)....got lost on the drive downstate (it was about 125 miles one way) trying to find the meet point....big delay there...then got the snake and was super pleased to find it in decent shape (it is a bit on the thin side but has obviously been a loved pet)...got on the way home way later than planned and then had the ever so lovely experience of blowing a tire on 1-75 at highway speed.

Thank gawd for a good hubby driving we are all okay (our youngest was in the car with us) and a nice couple that stopped to help as our flashlight was missing from the back of the station wagon (bet that youngest knows where it went! LOL).

Got back on the road, drove a lot slower home on the dumb donut thing and then 4 miles from our home at 12:45 in the freakin morning....our alternator died!!!! Two guys stopped and got the car boosted enough to get us home, just barely tho as the lights were dimming, and the car was dying as we rolled into the driveway. Oh btw, they were two repo guys (ain't that a hoot...they could have had my friggin car by that point!).

Our car was due in next week to have the manifold replaced....guess it's decided it wants a bit more done tho dying on a weekend that Mike had 20 hours of overtime booked for (and now cannot work), would have been a bit nicer. This free snake just cost us a bundle.

Anyway excuse the rant folks, I'm too stressed to sleep yet. On the upside, we are all okay, we are home safe and sound and Punkin is nicely ensconsed in her new Sterlite in our bedroom so it's all good.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Wow Joanna! That sounds like an adventure and a half!! I hope it makes the joy of owning him/her all the more special (you'll always have a great story!! ). Hopefully the events will seems more humorous and less stressful as time goes by (I'm sure after the car is also fixed!). Good luck with your new little one and good luck at the vet when you finally get to determine new, husband friendly names
    Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    1.1 German Shepard (KA-ZAR & Cody)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Creamsicle corn (Trixie)
    0.1 Lavendar het motley corn (Lily)
    1.0 Motley Corn (Jackson)

Registered User Living Art Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Finally bringing Punkin home!

Hey Jo,

Congrats on the snake, really nice! Take care.
    Take care,

Tony

Thanks

Wow! Sounds like a fun trip. Sorry to hear you'll be missing out on all that OT. I'm sure that money would have been going to your new pastel or corns. I think you should get the day off and get to relax in bed and just have a nice lazy day.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast