Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,366

0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I have to agree with cchardwick. BPs are really cool but they can be difficult sometimes. Picky eaters etc. All that stuff everyone else said. Kings or Corns don't really require any less care, but they are kind of like plug and play snakes. They don't go off feed and you spend way less time worrying if you are doing something wrong. They are more forgiving if your husbandry is off. I never worried over snakes so much until I got hatchling ball pythons. lol Having said all that, I love them. Very cool snakes...

This place can help you when your bp wont eat, you think it has an RI or need to know where to place your thermostat probe. lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bassball Fever (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Not a snake owner. Yet.

welcome! just jumping on the thread to say you've come to the right place for info! do your research, ask questions, and i'm sure any snake you choose will be a great experience.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bassball Fever (01-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bassball Fever View Post

She called it a Rock Python and said that it doesn't get very big. Well, I Googled Rock Python, and I had to inform her that I consider an 11-foot snake to be pretty big.
    Maybe she meant to say Pet-Rock Python?

Sorry couldn't resist, and I love my little guy. Corns and Kings may be more forgiving, but if you have the time and resources to keep its husbandry spot on, there's no reason why a ball python wouldn't thrive in your care.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sallos For This Useful Post:

Bassball Fever (01-24-2017),PokeyTheNinja (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bassball Fever View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I have learned so much in the last 2 days on this forum. I can't wait until I can get my first BP. I think it's going to be a baby Pewter BP. Or a Calico. Or an Enchi. No, a Black Pastel. Or Mocha.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to end up with more than 1?
    Lol I'm on the same boat! I'm having difficulty settling on which morph I'd like as well hehe.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bassball Fever (02-24-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    In my humble opinion, you seem to be putting in the due diligence. You're doing your homework and not going to a store, seeing something you like and coming home with all new equipment for your new animal. That being said, I think a BP would be fine in your care. I see no reason to get a corn or King if what you want is a BP. Get the snake YOU want. It's going to be in your care for YEARS, so don't let others persuade you in a different direction. I have a BP, a King and two hatchling corns and I love them all, for different reasons (my next will def be another BP). But it's YOUR animal under YOUR care. A BP is definitely more work getting things dialed in, and more unforgiving of husbandry errors, but you seem like you'll be on top of that, so I wouldn't sweat it. You'll be fine with whichever animal you choose. Since you seem drawn to BPs, the hard part will be choosing which morph, and then choosing your NEXT snake. I often say, tattoos and snakes, I don't know many people with just one...

Now, keep in mind, I am saying this about a BP, not a retic or burm or a GTP or ETB or something that I would advise keeping another starter snake for a few years prior to jumping on a larger (retic/burm) or more aggressive (GTP/ETB) snake. I would LOVE a GTP or ETB, but I'm a ways away still...

Anyway, I hope you get what works out best for you and your daughter and the animal brings you both years of joy!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bassball Fever (02-24-2017),Kira (02-24-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12