Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

1 members and 2,707 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Tubs

Thanks

Tubs

i would like to start breeding mice soon, but i was wondering if theree was any way to set them up in tubs. the rack systems are too expensive for me - i'm just talking about a bunch of tubs. i've seen people cut large holes and then cover it with mesh. is it possible to just cut a lot of air-holes like one would do for a snake? would they chew through it?

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tubs

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysm View Post
    i would like to start breeding mice soon, but i was wondering if theree was any way to set them up in tubs. the rack systems are too expensive for me - i'm just talking about a bunch of tubs. i've seen people cut large holes and then cover it with mesh. is it possible to just cut a lot of air-holes like one would do for a snake? would they chew through it?
    my current breeding stock of rats are in tubs fo rthe time being while I get heating set up in their rat room.

big sterlite tubs, I cut the center of the lids out and glued hardware cloth OVER the holes. They jump up and hang on it but can't get teeth sunk in anywhere. it works, just make sure they don't have anything to get their teeth into.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Viper0hr (02-02-2017)

Thanks

alright, thanks a bunch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkeeper87 View Post
    my current breeding stock of rats are in tubs fo rthe time being while I get heating set up in their rat room.

big sterlite tubs, I cut the center of the lids out and glued hardware cloth OVER the holes. They jump up and hang on it but can't get teeth sunk in anywhere. it works, just make sure they don't have anything to get their teeth into.
    Hey weird question, did you glue the cloth on the inside of the cage or outside? If inside any issues with the mice eating/chewing on the glue?

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viper0hr View Post
    Hey weird question, did you glue the cloth on the inside of the cage or outside? If inside any issues with the mice eating/chewing on the glue?
    I glued it outside so they couldn't chew the glue off and push the cloth out. I would assume, as all rodents do, that they'd have that glue gnawed off in a day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Viper0hr (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    I learned a few things about setting up tubs since i did a a couple. Get a soldering pen with a knife head, use that to cut nice holes. Knives took forever and my hands were hurting at the end of it; the plastic might crack too.

I used zip ties to hold the miners cloth to the tub, i never thought this would work, that the rats would chew them off but it did work pretty good. I did have some rats learn that if they chewed off the zip ties they could almost get out. I put some bolts in a few key areas and that solved the problem.

I put the miners cloth on the inside of the cage closest to the rodents i think that works the best. Since smell can be an issue i would make one very large opening on the lid and another on the side, this helps a lot with ventilation. I tried using glue originally but it just didn't work for me, didn't last more than a week but i know other people have had success with it.

For my large males cage i used adhesive Velcro in the middle of the cages to help secure it from being pushed open. They could smell the girls and would push the top up constantly if it weren't for the Velcro.

Good Luck with your project !

Thanks
    I :cens0r:have 3 males and they are the ones that stay in their own tubs.
    The males, I have in a 3 drawer rack I stole from my wife (she was not using it). The space is about 1-1/2' x 2'.:cens0r:
    I have a Sterilite Tub for my females to have babies. This tub is pretty big, I have a couple cheap hard plastic bowls put together for their nest. I mounted a wheel on the side of the tub for them to play on.
    I also have a Critter Trial Cage (bought thus when I 1st had mice). I put the males in here when they are 4-1/2 - 5 weeks old. The cage us not big, but I always have very few to no males because males are the first ones I feed to my ferret.

I will take a picture tomorrow of my set ups and post em.

Thanks

First Tub (big one) is my moms and babies (babies are almost weaned, some already are). Female weaned ones that I want to keep stay in here too, that way they learn how to be a good mom.
    For the males, you can see that they have plenty of space, (stole a 3-drawer rack thing from the wife). Usually, I have only one female with each male at a time, sometime tho I do put 2 females with a male.
    Critter Trail cage is where I have been putting weaned males. But, since I have not had males to be removed in a while (I have a lady and a guy that gets feeders from me and males are always the 1st to go.. ), I have one male and one female in here. The male I got from a pet store for free, so I figured I would use him for one breeding before feeding him to my ferret. If you see the Critter Trail, I have put the wire mesh all around the bars and also some tape where the latch is. I have had a mouse here and there get out thru there, so I had to do this to prevent escapes.
    The last picture is what I 1st had my males in, but moved them to the 3-drawer set up so that they had more room. Even tho they are feeders, I do not believe in cramming them together.
    Last edited by Xinyi; 03-03-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Not letting me add pictures.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Xinyi For This Useful Post:

lisamarie1022 (09-25-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If the tubs are taller, they won't chew through holes drilled in the lid. If the tubs are short, they WILL chew through the holes and get out.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xinyi View Post
    First Tub (big one) is my moms and babies (babies are almost weaned, some already are). Female weaned ones that I want to keep stay in here too, that way they learn how to be a good mom.
    For the males, you can see that they have plenty of space, (stole a 3-drawer rack thing from the wife). Usually, I have only one female with each male at a time, sometime tho I do put 2 females with a male.
    Critter Trail cage is where I have been putting weaned males. But, since I have not had males to be removed in a while (I have a lady and a guy that gets feeders from me and males are always the 1st to go.. ), I have one male and one female in here. The male I got from a pet store for free, so I figured I would use him for one breeding before feeding him to my ferret. If you see the Critter Trail, I have put the wire mesh all around the bars and also some tape where the latch is. I have had a mouse here and there get out thru there, so I had to do this to prevent escapes.
    The last picture is what I 1st had my males in, but moved them to the 3-drawer set up so that they had more room. Even tho they are feeders, I do not believe in cramming them together.
    If you download tapatalk and get on the forum all you have to do when posting is push the plus sign and pick your pics I'm curious and would like to know how you setup also. May start breeding rats in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 pastel 100% het piebald
    0.1 pastel enchi 100% het clown