Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,369

3 members and 1,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Climbing snake

Thanks

Climbing snake

Hello! My name's Amanda.

So, my baby ball python who I just got today keeps climbing the sides of his tank. It worries me cause he's getting really close to the ceramic heater on the top of his cage. His hot side average 86 degrees Fahrenheit and the cold side is 78 degrees Fahrenheit. he climbs towards the top of his cage on both sides, but I'm worried. I don't want him to get burned by his heater. I was using a heat lamp, but it didn't get his tank warm enough so i bought the ceramic heater which is perfect with my thermostat. But I'm still worried. I think he might just be exploring his tank at the same time cause he's climbing all over. I put a climbing branch in there and he seems to like it a lot. But I'm still worried about the heater, I don't want him getting burned. Unfortunately I can't turn his heater off at night cause it'll get too cold for him and his tank doesn't retain heat well. Anyone have any recommendations? He's currently in a 10G tank but I plan to purchase a 20G tank for him soon. Could it be that his substrate isn't hot enough? I do have a UTH but only one Thermostat which his hooked to his ceramic heat emitter cause it heats up really fast and quite a bit. So I can't use both because my ceramic heat emitter is currently plugged into it. Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Climbing snake

hello, amanda!
    i don't use a CHE but i know they shouldn't be touching a surface the snake can also touch. how is it set up on your tank?
    a hot spot of 86 is too low; bump that up to at least 90.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stofey View Post
    Hello! My name's Amanda.

So, my baby ball python who I just got today keeps climbing the sides of his tank. It worries me cause he's getting really close to the ceramic heater on the top of his cage. His hot side average 86 degrees Fahrenheit and the cold side is 78 degrees Fahrenheit. he climbs towards the top of his cage on both sides, but I'm worried. I don't want him to get burned by his heater. I was using a heat lamp, but it didn't get his tank warm enough so i bought the ceramic heater which is perfect with my thermostat. But I'm still worried. I think he might just be exploring his tank at the same time cause he's climbing all over. I put a climbing branch in there and he seems to like it a lot. But I'm still worried about the heater, I don't want him getting burned. Unfortunately I can't turn his heater off at night cause it'll get too cold for him and his tank doesn't retain heat well. Anyone have any recommendations? He's currently in a 10G tank but I plan to purchase a 20G tank for him soon. Could it be that his substrate isn't hot enough? I do have a UTH but only one Thermostat which his hooked to his ceramic heat emitter cause it heats up really fast and quite a bit. So I can't use both because my ceramic heat emitter is currently plugged into it. Any help would be great!

Hi Amanda, I have a CHE in my 10G that I have hatchlings in. Your temps are good and as long as your CHE is ontop of the screen its fine. I also use tin foil on 3/4 of the lid to hold heat and my CHE is 60 watt... These Balls love to climb, I have branches and they acualy hang from the leaves in my big enclosures. Hahaha Your good dont worry
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

You need to unplug the UTH until you get a thermostat for it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justinhicks For This Useful Post:

cletus (01-21-2017),GoingPostal (01-21-2017),tttaylorrr (01-21-2017)

Thanks
    Black out the sides and back of the tank and make sure he has a hide on both sides of tank. He's climbing because he's a little stressed I'm sure. And unplug the UTH until you get a thermostat. It can burn your snake or fracture your tank.
    Last edited by Justinhicks; 01-21-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

Sorry, I'm pretty sure I said this but he already has a thermostat and it works just fine! I got him a bigger tank since he is a bit bigger than a baby. Not too much, but enough that a ten gallon just seemed way too small for him. He seems to like it. He seems to like climbing a lot so I got him some climbing decorations that double as hides. He seems to love them. He also has a new cave shaped hide on the cooler side of his tank which he loves. I also added some fake plants. He's not climbing and pushing on the top of his tank anymore, he just seems to be climbing and resting on his climbing trees, so I think he just wanted a little more space. I also got an actual reptile tank instead of a normal one. This one has a sliding lid, so I'm not worried about him escaping anymore

Thanks guys for all your help! And I would imagine he is a little stressed, but that's due to the fact that i JUST got him two days ago. I'm just being a worry wart. Though, he ate perfectly fine today and seems content with the new tank. So for now, I think I figured it out. Thank you all so much for your help!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stofey For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justinhicks View Post
    You need to unplug the UTH until you get a thermostat for it.
    The OP posed what the temps are, 78-88 degree wont burn the snake. A thermostat does need to be run for all heat sources though as some of these UTH even run 125 degrees.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-22-2017 at 04:53 AM.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Monty44 (01-22-2017)

Thanks
    Get yourself a "Plug in Light Dimmer" $14.95 at LOWES for the CHE and use the Tstat for the UTH.
    That way you can lower the CHE with the Dimmer if you need to during Summer and do the same with the UTH with the Tstat
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    The OP posed what the temps are, 78-88 degree wont burn the snake. A thermostat does need to be run for all heat sources though as some of these UTH even run 125 degrees.
    The OP states ambient temps and also stated that only the CHE is plugged into a stat and also states that there is a UTH present. An unregulated UTH will burn a snake and most likely will crack the glass. Do whatever you want though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Sorry about that, I left it out. I do HAVE a UTH. It is currently not in use because of how hot the CHE gets and the fact that I only have one thermostat. Though, he seems to be fine now that it has been a few days in his new tank. He ate perfectly fine and seems to be okay now. I think it was just a bit of stress from being in a new home. :3