Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,483

4 members and 1,479 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Consensus on kiln dried pine shavings

Okay, so as much as I like coconut husk, it tends to get really messy and more or less gets everywhere when i do daily maintenance. Aspen is something I don't want to use based on what has been told/what I read on the internet.

I know that kiln dried pine is not harmful to rodents at all even though virtually everyone says otherwise. The question stands now, are kiln dried pine shavings okay for ball pythons? I've seen various threads on the matter on the site but I have yet to find a solid conclusion to it.

Does any one have any experience with it?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I suspect you will have difficulties finding a very clear consensus on the internet about much of anything. However, I may be able to shed some light. When we were kids, we used to use pine shavings for reptiles and rodents because we were told cedar shavings were bad for small animals. We used pine shavings for years without noticeable problems.

Now that there is so much more information available, there is some better data. An early medical study involving wood bedding and hepatotoxicity found a connection between red cedar, ponderosa pine, and white pine and elevated liver enzymes. Generally speaking, cedar appeared to be worse than pine regarding liver enzyme activity. Another study was able to induce liver damage by housing solely on pine shavings and some found a correlation with an increase in upper respiratory cancers. Both studies were in laboratory mice. For what it is worth, hardwoods like aspen did not show the same levels of hepatotoxicity.

My suspicion is that most animals can live on pine shavings with no observable signs of illness that would cause most owners alarm, but if the study was done, would potentially correlated with a decreased lifespan. In one anecdotal report, one individual who kept rats normally observed them living for 2-3 years, but when he switched one to newspaper, it lived for approximately 6 years. Clearly the "n" value here is not sufficient for any legitimate conclusions, but perhaps it is food for thought.

I am curious now though, who told you aspen was bad / where did you read this information and what was the claim?

Thanks
    I didn't say aspen was bad, just not ideal. I've been told it molds easily, doesnt hold smell, and it basically non-absorbant.

Thanks for the insight!
    Last edited by Seven-Thirty; 01-16-2017 at 09:50 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Thirty For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Consensus on kiln dried pine shavings

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-Thirty View Post
    I didn't say aspen was bad, just not ideal. I've been told it molds easily, doesnt hold smell, and it basically non-absorbant.

Thanks for the insight!
    In that case it's left to me to say that aspen is BAD

I hate the stuff , it looks horrid , it makes light coloured snakes plus white or albino ones look washed out and it gets everywhere ( used to drive the wife bonkers ) as it seems to stick to the snakes when you get them out .

I use dark , rich looking orchid/ reptile bark looked great and natural ,
    it makes the snakes look wonderful and colourful , holds as much or as little moisture as is needed and It can even be sieved / cleaned / dried and reused ( if you're on a tight budget ). .

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Seven-Thirty (01-16-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Consensus on kiln dried pine shavings

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    In that case it's left to me to say that aspen is BAD

I hate the stuff , it looks horrid , it makes light coloured snakes plus white or albino ones look washed out and it gets everywhere ( used to drive the wife bonkers ) as it seems to stick to the snakes when you get them out .
    Opinion.....

There is nothing wrong with aspen. I use larger water bowls than most so I do not have humidity problems with it. Other than that its great and spot cleans are easy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I've used aspen for years on all my snakes and it's been fine. With that said, I have recently switched to ReptiChips which is awesome. I only switched because my local supplier for the 7.5 cu ft bags of American Excelsior quit carrying it and I don't want to pay $50 shipping online. Only downside is 1 brick of ReptiChips is enough to do all my snakes once a month or so. So it costs me now about $250 a year vs $100. Does look nice though.

Here is a stack of T10s with aspen

And the same stack with the ReptiChips
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-16-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 513 Posts
    I wrote this regarding rodents. My apologies.
    Last edited by WmHrbst; 01-16-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Doesn't relate to bps

Thanks
    What brand Aspen do you guys use and where do you get it....