Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

0 members and 3,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Questions about Corns

I've been offered to adult corn snakes through a guy at my husband's workplace who has more adults then he really wants at this time. I'll be going to look at them in the next week. Did a bunch of research last night as I've never owned a Corn and have only held babies at the pet store so lots of questions have arisen.

1. Anything different in what to look for in a healthy Corn versus what to look for in a healthy Ball Python (we own a ball currently).

2. I understand that Corns like to burrow a bit so aspen is the preferred bedding...correct?

3. Their temp needs seem about 5 or 10 degrees cooler than what Balls need and they aren't as particular about humidity....so what is best for heating....undertank or heat lamp?

4. They do seem to like hides so do they need a cool and warm hide like Balls have?

5. From what I understand these adults (male and female) have been housed together for awhile now.....should I continue this or is this not a good idea? Some research said it was stressful to seperate them if they are used to being together (other than they should be seperated to feed and for 1/2 an hour after feeding). Some research said Corns like to climb, others said they didn't so do they need height in their enclosure or not? I'm thinking of housing them in Sterlite as we do our Ball and can get lots of different sizes locally.

6. What would be appropriate sized housing for adult Corns either as seperate snakes or housed together? If they are housed together do they use the same hide at the same time and therefore it must be bigger or what?

7. Are there any obvious signs of sex with Corns? I'm pretty sure this guy knows what sex they are but are they like Balls and have to be probed to reliably sex them?

Sorry for all the questions but the research I did was sometimes contradictory and I'd like to offer these snakes the best home I can give them if I decide to buy them from this guy.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Questions about Corns

Corns are really cool, I don't think you will regret taking those guys!

1. Really, just the basic check. Feel for ribs, check eye caps and tail tip for stuck shed. Mite and tick check..

2. Corns love to burrow, my mom uses aspen for her snow corn. Good stuff.

3. I always prefer under tank heating my snakes. Corns are diurnal, but you still need to turn the light off at night, so an UTH is better.

4. Yes, two hides. My mom's uses both regularly.

5. I would separate them. Corns are tough, and any stress (which I doubt would occur anyway) would be overcome quickly. My mom's corn LOVES to climb, and it's a blast to watch her. You won't regret putting a branch or two in!

6. a 20 gallon is usually sufficient for an adult corn.

7. corns are one of the easier ones to sex by comparing tail length and width. If the two tails look quite a bit different, you can be pretty sure the one with the long, thick tail is a male.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Answer to question#1 that should be the same as your BP. Active, feeding properly, tounge should be flickering when you hold them.ect ect ect.

#2 They love to burrow, no real prefernce from what I can tell just stay away from any cedar. I would also try to put some/a large rock/s so the corn can crawl on and under, this just an opinion but corns really seem to appreciate this.

#3 The corns I have dealt with prefer cooler tempertures (between 65-75) even room tempertures will suffice, this is very hardy snake which will usually will not show any discomfort with bad husbandry (even though we always practice good husbandry right lol) I do make sure that they do have a heat source though, which I seldom seen them use (except after a large meal).

#4 Hides are a must have. I really cant tell you for sure (I just don't know) if a warm and cool hide is needed but I can tell you it is more likely that your corn will be on the cooler side. It will not hurt to have both and find out the corns preference.

#5 Again I'm not an expert but the corns I have dealt with are very curious animals. If you put something to climb on they will climb it ( not all the time but on occassion). As far as housing them together I have no problem with it (just opinion), but keep in mind if one snake in the enclosure is ill, they will all be ill. I doubt that your corn will stress to much not haveing companionship of another snake, even ones that have been housed together for years. Snakes just don't mind being by themselves.

#6 Their requirments are about the same as ball. A 30 gallon enclosure should suffice for the entire life of your corn. I did house mine in a 55 gallon for a few years and moved her back into the 30 gallon and never noticed a change in her. She has housed with other snakes and believe it or not they both were able to get into the hides (that I though would just fit her alone) together. so as long as they have the option of seperate hides I really wouldn't worry to much about it. Remember small, dark, and tight is a good thing to snakes.

#7 I really can't answer your last question, I just assume it is a girl (I don't breed her) because that is what I was told. I wouldn't want to be probed so I never got her probed (golden rule: even applies to my snakes)and sexing them by hand always puts a snake in major discomfort (if you've never seen it done I do not reccomend it) so I just let it be.
    Last edited by Forrest; 07-14-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Registered User Simplest_Mistake's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a Corn Snake that is 5ft 7in ...I don't think she would even fit in an 20 or 30 gal...lol. Whats a good humidity level for Corns? I have had my girl for almost a month, I have the heat right (86-90F on the hot side)...but I would like to know what the % of humidity should be. Also, what % should it be for a baby BP, and a Cali king? I have never had the humidity moniters in there cages, I just mist everyday or every other day, but I want to keep all my guys and girls healthy. (Sorry to be a thread hijacker...)
    -Juliya Graham-
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Xerox)
    0.1.0 California Kingsnake (Ezekiel)
    0.1.0 Corn Snake (Quincy)

-My Website-
    http://juliyas-snakes.tripod.com/index.html

-Photo Gallery-
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b97/JuliyaGraham/

Thanks

Juliya - From the caresheets, it looks like the average household humidity is adequate for both the corn and the cali king unless you have retained shed. Bps need humidity levels about 50-60% with it being increased to about 60-70% while in shed. I'm a firm believer in the humid hide! Has worked great for me and I fully advocate the use of them!!

Joanna - Let us know when/if you get them. Sounds like you might already have caging ready. Now if we could only get you a camera so we could see pictures.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I agree that a 5' ball python wouldn't be comfortable (to say the least) in a 20g tank, but most corn caresheets say it's fine. Corns are pretty skinny snakes.

April

Thanks

I do have a 30 gallon tank empty. One of those tall ones on a stand with 6 sides but it's just a spare so if it's not appropriate we're more than willing to go buy each of the corns it's own home, whatever is best for them. I'll be looking at them sometime next week as both the current owner and my husband are working insane overtime right now.

As far as I've been told the male is a creamsicle (my personal fav coloration) and the female is an "anery". Not sure quite what that is as I've found Type A and Type B anery's but it seems to be sort of the opposite of the creamsicle which has all it's dark tones bred out and the anery has all the red/orange tones bred out. Is this correct and what the holy heck would happen if these snakes bred? If these colors would not breed well I'll have to get them each a mate if I want to breed at some point though for now they would just be spoiled pets LOL.

Geesh genetics are confusing!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

The 30g tall may work fine.. for one of the snakes anyway.

Anery is short for anerythristic.. means no erythrin, which is red pigment. If both snakes are carrying recessive morph mutations (I'm pretty sure anery is, and I think creamsicle is a combo of two of them) then a breeding would result in normal looking double or triple hets.

April