Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,871

1 members and 1,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake hooks?

Thanks

Snake hooks?

So I'm in need of a snake hook for my RTB due to his new home and his tendency to strike when he sees anything before I pick him up. Also because I work with metal for a living I kinda wanted to make my own. The reason I'm posting is to ask how thick most snake hooks usually are? I imagine that for a RTB BCI male you don't want one of those spindly little telescoping ones, you want something stout like 3/8" right? I have no idea and I'm asking for help.
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks

Re: Snake hooks?

I am not big on hooks. I am more a fan of the paper towel method. Maybe someone will come along and answer for you, but I am just not a fan because if they bite the hook that can hurt them. I just grab a roll of paper towel and let them hit it until it's out of their system then handle them. Sure, I've been bitten before but it isn't that bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yeah being bitten isn't too bad but at the same time it's not exactly please either. I'm not exactly sure how badly it can hurt him since he strikes the glass occasionally (I do check and make sure he's OK). It can't possibly hurt him more than his own well... Stupidity (as much as it hurts me to admit that).
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Go to Midwest Tongs.Com they'll have what your looking for. 😉

Thanks
    Snake hooks work great when used correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Snake hooks are fairly cheap. Go to Bean Farm or Reptile Basics. Can get a decent one for $20 or so. You probably aren't going to be using a snake hook to actually lift a large boa. You more or less just use them to turn the snakes head or let it know its not dinner time. I tried using mine on my SD retic and it actually made him mad lol. He opened his mouth at it so I quit using it. I just use a twisted up paper towel and rub it on his head when he gets excited about the cage door sliding open and thinks its dinner time.

Your boa is probably scared if its new. It is just being defensive. Give it time to get used to the cage and new smells. Just change its water every couple days. I also sometimes leave one cage door open if I'm in the room and if they want to explore, they poke their head out and then will climb on me. If they don't want to come out, they do nothing when the door is open and sit in the same place or will just have their snoot sitting on the litter dam which seems to mean 'I want to look out but I don't want to come out and explore'.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Snake hooks are fairly cheap. Go to Bean Farm or Reptile Basics. Can get a decent one for $20 or so. You probably aren't going to be using a snake hook to actually lift a large boa. You more or less just use them to turn the snakes head or let it know its not dinner time. I tried using mine on my SD retic and it actually made him mad lol. He opened his mouth at it so I quit using it. I just use a twisted up paper towel and rub it on his head when he gets excited about the cage door sliding open and thinks its dinner time.

Your boa is probably scared if its new. It is just being defensive. Give it time to get used to the cage and new smells. Just change its water every couple days. I also sometimes leave one cage door open if I'm in the room and if they want to explore, they poke their head out and then will climb on me. If they don't want to come out, they do nothing when the door is open and sit in the same place or will just have their snoot sitting on the litter dam which seems to mean 'I want to look out but I don't want to come out and explore'.
    Oh I got him out last night with no snappishness (he did drag about half of his bedding out) but other than that no issues. I wanted it for getting him out when he is being snappy and he has to come out. Also I know I can buy them fairly cheap that's not so much the point I just want to make my own. Like I said I like making things and I'm good at it, it's my job to make stuff that people use every day. I just wanted to know what diameter round stock is typically used on snake hooks, and other than that I can figure it out pretty well.
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Ah. Well just looking at mine, i'd guess somewhere around 1/2" diameter.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Ogre- 3/8" in diameter should be fine, 1/2" would be plenty sturdy too.

Thanks
    I made my own snake hooks a while back. For the Handle I used 1/2in aluminum bar stock, and for the hook I used 1/4in diameter stainless steel and they are pretty stout.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast