Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

0 members and 3,003 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck shed

Thanks

Stuck shed

Ok,so we got Lucy (black eyed leucistic) around the 2nd week in November from petsmart, they were feeding her wrong as was i,she didnt miss any meals,i had a little trouble with her humidity at first,still do a little..i spray it 2x a day..my cooler side stays more humid than my warm..i finally did get digital readers for the temp and humidty the warm side temp is tucked behind the hide resting on top of the substrate and the humidity gauge is placed about 2 inches above the hide,the cool side thermometer and humidity are at the bottom on top of substrate in the middle of the depth of the aquarium..the reading for the warm ranges from T87-91 H52-72 (highest after misting lowest 7hrs later)the cool side ranges T75-79 H62-75..well on the 20th she started shedding,she had already been through the milky phase...well she still hasn't shed..shes ate twice since and she gets out and drinks and moves back and forth between hides like she should,shes not stressed..why hasnt she shed yet?she got her belly off and her head and neck but her whole back is still there,ive also noticed when she rubs to get it off she doesnt even rub the areas with the remaining shed 😑 i hear a lot of people say soak her and a lot that say not to soak because of stress..im including a few pics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I don't soak. If I end up with stuck shed and a humidity bump doesn't work I have the snake crawl through a wet towel a few times in my hands to get it off.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016),Ogre (12-28-2016),Rytetone (02-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: Stuck shed

Generally at the point where there are stuck bits I personally lend a hand. You have to be gentle, don't try and rip it off, just kinda softly massage it with the grain of the scales. Your humidity seems ok, your hot side is going to be lower. It happens sometimes
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Try the damp towel/pillow case method. Get something big enough that you can cover the whole snake, get it damp with warm water and let her spend 15-20 minutes slithering around in it. The rubbing + moisture should get the stuck shed off.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016),Ogre (12-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Soak her. Just get a small plastic tub with a lid like a little Rubbermaid or Sterilite. Then put enough lukewarm water in it almost cover the snake but not so deep it has to try and tread water or it might drown. Then put the lid on with a few air holes and let her sit in there for about 15-30 mins. Then with a damp paper towel or wet washcloth, just let the snake crawl through it while you wrap it around her. I do this when my snakes get funky smelling from eating rats and stuff except I don't use a tub, I just wet a paper towel and wrap it around them and pull it down them.

Also once your snake comes out of blue, that is when you the humidity boost will really help. Try and keep it up around 70-80%. You can also move the water bowl over part of the heat for evaporation. Looks like you got the top covered with tin foil so that is good.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016),Sonny1318 (12-29-2016)

Thanks
    I would do the humidity boost before blue personally. I Usually start misting when I see pink belly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Soak her. Just get a small plastic tub with a lid like a little Rubbermaid or Sterilite. Then put enough lukewarm water in it almost cover the snake but not so deep it has to try and tread water or it might drown. Then put the lid on with a few air holes and let her sit in there for about 15-30 mins. Then with a damp paper towel or wet washcloth, just let the snake crawl through it while you wrap it around her. I do this when my snakes get funky smelling from eating rats and stuff except I don't use a tub, I just wet a paper towel and wrap it around them and pull it down them.

Also once your snake comes out of blue, that is when you the humidity boost will really help. Try and keep it up around 70-80%. You can also move the water bowl over part of the heat for evaporation. Looks like you got the top covered with tin foil so that is good.
    As above as regards the soaking .. .. Afterwards I get a rough textured towel and soak the towel in warm water .. Then let the snake continuously slither through the towel in your hands whilst applying very gentle pressure , this method rarely fails .

Presume you know that the snake's clear up and they get their normal colouration back and then there's a few days delay ( sometimes longer ) before they actually shed the skin ..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I would do the humidity boost before blue personally. I Usually start misting when I see pink belly.
    Before blue does nothing. The blue is actually a liquid the snakes body makes to help with the shed. Once the snakes body absorbs the liquid is when they will begin to actually shed. That is the time they need the extra humidity to keep the old skin from sticking to the new skin.

But in all honestly, you should keep the snake's humidity correct all the time. Too low of humidity over the years can actually affect the snakes internal organs and liver or at least I was told that. I keep my boas, BP and retic at around 80% with the cocochips. Stuff is awesome and the snakes seem to love it except my JCP. She seems kind of scared of it and wont actually sit on the floor lol. She goes from her perches to her rock hide and then back up on the perches. It's like when you were a kid and jumping on the furniture pretending the floor was hot lava

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016)

Thanks
    Better safe then sorry I feel. Isn't keeping a BP in high humidity all the time bad for them as well though? My kids usually sit as 50-60% when not in shed and get boosted up to 70-80%when a shed is coming on. I have them on plain old aspen which I know some people have trouble with humidity wise but I don't ever seem to have a problem. I do have to do general misting a little more often during the winter when the heat is on in the house, but that's like once a week instead of once every other week.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-28-2016)

Thanks
    I too used aspen for years and it was fine. Did have to lay folded up wet paper towels on top of hides in the winter. I switched to the cocochips aka ReptiChips, Exo terra Coco Husk and other of the same stuff and it is awesome. Well, I look at it this way, I check where said snake comes from and what environment they live in and try to replicate the humidity by that. Since BPs live in Africa in mostly termite mounds and abandoned rodent dens, the humidity for those 2 places would be fairly high. The temps in the termite mound would be pretty warm too I imagine while the rodent den would be cooler. I do let the stuff dry out more on my BP though. I generally don't respray it until it pretty much completely dries out as I have her in a ProLine cage which holds humidity pretty good(not as good as AP cages though).

Now my boas and retic, they are kept 80% humidity as they come from a much more humid area. If you check the temps and humidity for places like Peru and Colombia, the humidity gets up to 90%+. The surprising part though is if you look at Colombia average temps now, you will see it drops to the 40s at night and 60s during the day. That's why I also have a 75-79F cool side for my boas and their 90F hot spot. A lot of people told me to offer them a mid 70s cool side. I really didn't believe it until I actually looked up the weather in those areas and saw by god they were right.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-28-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast