Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 461

1 members and 460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cage Size for BP

I'll be getting a young BP soon and was wondering what size enclosure to get.
    I was looking at the Boaphile 123D (24"x24"x17.5") to start out with and when ne/she gets bigger, expanding it with another cage.
    Would a shorter cage be better?
    I was going to put branches and stuff in to give some place to climb.
    How long would I be able to keep a BP in an enclosure this size?

Thanks

Re: Cage Size for BP

That size of cage would be perfect for your BP for now and the rest of its life. Remember heat and hides are going to be the most important necessities. Also in my experiance I have only seen one BP that actually used the branches I placed in the cage, the rest were very content being on the ground, but I think it makes the cage look really pleasing to my eye so I would still go for it. Good luck on your new BP

Thanks

I think the rule of thumb is 1.5 sq ft of cage space for every 1 ft of snake.
    The avg ball is between 4-5 feet.
    a 24"x24" would only be 4sq ft. I would say a bigger would be needed for full life span but not now.
    I would think about 6sq ft would be ok for an adult for lifetime.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

24" is definitely on the short end of the spectrum for what would be appropriate for an adult bp. I would go no shorter than 36" long x 18" deep (thats the footprint of a 40 Breeder tank). I mean, a 20 gallon long is 30" long. That boaphile cage you refer to is 6" shorter than even that.
    -Brad

Thanks

Thanks to all.
    I understand, that I will need a bigger cage when the snake is an adult.
    How fast do BPs grow.
    Baseed on appropriate food size, how long would a (1) yo BP be?

There's a store near here that's selling a baby (about 1 1/2 months old).
    The store owners "reccomended" set up is a package deal (the snake, a 10 gal tank, and a small clamp lamp)!
    I asked him about UTH and he said that he doesn't reccomend them and won't use them.
    There isn't even a temp guage in the tank.
    The poor snake looks underweight. He's obviously triangular shaped and his skin looks a little loose.

I would love to rescue the cutie from his Not-so-intelligent owner, but can't afford a large tank right now.
    I plan on making several custom wood and glass cages over the next few months so I can resume my lost hobby of reptiles (had to get rid of them when the human babys came along).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aibhaeog
    I asked him about UTH and he said that he doesn't reccomend them and won't use them.
    Generally, pet store people want you to use over head lights/CHE's because you will come in over and over to buy bulbs as they burn out. Their mark up on bulbs is somtimes as much as 300% and they want the repeat business. If you buy an undertank heater you'll be set for a very long time which means less money for them.

Of course they suggest lights and CHEs! ... If I sold them, I would too!

When someone that is selling you something suggests one product over another, always ask yourself why? If one was so much better for the animal than the other, why would they sell the lesser product? Money makes the world go round!!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Seems if the pet shop guy can't even keep this snake in a decent condition I wouldn't follow any of his "advice" about what the best heating is for ball pythons. We had a pet store guy tell us recently that ball pythons never eat more than one mouse per week...ever. In the car later, my husband said to me.."Well I guess some of Adam's bigger snakes that eat multiple mice would hate that guy!" LOL

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

If cost is an issue, maybe consider Rubbermaid or Iris type box. That would be ideal considering it will only be temporary housing.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

This seems to be a good point in the thread where I can share my awesome find I went to Big Lots and found a tub that is 40" long x 16.5" wide x 9" tall. The bottom is nice and flat, and the plus is, it was only $10... I think I might go buy the rest of them, LoL. It was a Rubbermaid, but it looked like the XMas storage boxes that iris puts out. Hopefully this is a big enough size for an adult, because I am so burned out on trying to find a huge underbed box, LoL. And darnit, I will have to find something else to go in the tub that Amani is occupying now... Such a tragedy...
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

JotaY, I do like your formula but 24 x 24 is 4sq ft but if that is the dimensions your missing some walls to your aqarium. it is 16sq ft not 4sq ft which is around a 20 gallon tank which in turn should suffice the animal for its lifetime...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast