Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

0 members and 3,159 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Where to place thermostat probe?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • On top of Substarte (Warm Side Hide)

0 0%
  • Middle of Substrate (Warm Side Hide)

0 0%
  • Bottom of Substrate (Warm Side Hide)

1 14.29%
  • Other (Answer with a Reply)

6 85.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Thermostat Probe Placement?

Good Morning All,

I hope everyone is having a great New Year so far, I have a quick question about thermostat probe placement.

I recently setup a new terrarium for my BEL in a Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 18" with proper heat mat, two hides on each side, herptopia all natural coconut fiber bedding, small water bowl, driftwood for climbing and shedding. All is good with the terrarium so far and the temps for ambient air are 82 on the warm side and about 76 on the cool side with 60% humidity throughout the terrarium.

I purchased a thermostat for the warm side and placed the probe right below the substrate layer under the warm side hide. Do you think this is the proper placement or should it be placed right on the top and not covered?

Just checking because I have it set to 91 degrees, but my temp gun is reading a surface temp of only about 85 degrees. Snake is acting fine, he usually hides on the cool side during the day and then goes into the warm hide at night. I've had him about a week now and he has eaten once this past Sunday and I have found two places he defecated.

I just like to make sure my setup is perfect for whatever animal I am taking care of.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Tyler

1.0 BEL Mojave x Butter
    3.1 Dendrobates Luecomelas "Fine Spot"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Thermostat Probe Placement?

Quote Originally Posted by T2theG View Post
    I purchased a thermostat for the warm side and placed the probe right below the substrate layer under the warm side hide. Do you think this is the proper placement or should it be placed right on the top and not covered?
    the probe should never be placed where the snake can move it, possibly urinate on it, etc. too many things could go wrong.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...15#post2492715

the link above has a great illustration by user PitOnTheProwl that shows where everything should be.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

T2theG (01-04-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It all depends on the type of heat you are using. For Under Tank Heat Pad (UTH) you put it outside on the bottom (between the heat pad and the bottom of the enclosure). Then get the temp of the inside bottom (underneath the substrate) right by adjusting the thermostat temp. settings and that works best by using an infrared thermometer on the glass or plastic bottom (inside).

For overhead lamp heat or ceramic heat emitter I put it just inside the hide door where I could see it and put the hide on top of the cord to hold it there. But that is just my idea I tried, seemed to work fine. That way I knew the snake wasn't laying on it or hadn't moved it, and I would get an average temp. of inside and outside the hide.

For a Radiant Heat Panel I have never used one so others will have to give input about that, and it will be interesting to hear what some with experience or knowledge have to say about the placement for probe.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

T2theG (01-04-2017),tttaylorrr (01-04-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

You want to monitor the surface that your animal can touch they can and will burrow.
    You don't want it any place your snake can move it or alter its location.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

T2theG (01-04-2017),tttaylorrr (01-04-2017)

Thanks

Thank you for the info about the placement of the probe.

When I get home tonight I will be placing it between the UTH and the glass. Do you think using some Gorilla duct tape will be fine to help adhere the side where the probe is inserted under the heat mat? I read that the gorilla duct tape can take high temps, but I can get whatever tape will work better. Its a smaller probe, but I just want to make sure that the UTH stays adhered to the bottom of the tank.

Thanks!
    Tyler

1.0 BEL Mojave x Butter
    3.1 Dendrobates Luecomelas "Fine Spot"

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Aluminum foil duct tape

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

T2theG (01-04-2017)

Thanks

I place the Stat probe between the heatmat and the bottom of the enclosure (outside).
    That way the snake can't mess with the thermostat readings by moving it, peeing on it, pooping, etc.

Because the heat has to travel through the bottom of the enclosure you might need to set the temp a bit higher on the thermostat to reach the proper temperature inside.

Btw, check the temperature on the surface of the enclosure and not on top of the substrate since your snake can (and probably will) move it aside and be able to touch the bottom directly.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Also make sure you don't tape the actual probe head where it reads temps. That will give you false readings. You tape the wire itself close to the head.

Also you want to double check the temps with a IR gun on the cage floor under the substrate to make sure you got it set to where you want it.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-09-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-08-2020),dkt2k (05-12-2020),Luvyna (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    For a Radiant Heat Panel I have never used one so others will have to give input about that, and it will be interesting to hear what some with experience or knowledge have to say about the placement for probe.
    Drill a small hole in the side of the enclosure, near the top and close to the RHP. Insert probe and enough cord through the hole so the probe hangs about halfway down the wall; when it hangs like that the snake really can't interfere with it. Adjust thermostat up or down as needed to get the desired hot spot temperature under the RHP as measured with an IR thermometer or temperature gun. I usually hold the probe cord in place with a piece of tape on the outside of the enclosure.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dkt2k (05-12-2020),Jinji (03-30-2022),jmcrook (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Drill a small hole in the side of the enclosure, near the top and close to the RHP. Insert probe and enough cord through the hole so the probe hangs about halfway down the wall; when it hangs like that the snake really can't interfere with it. Adjust thermostat up or down as needed to get the desired hot spot temperature under the RHP as measured with an IR thermometer or temperature gun. I usually hold the probe cord in place with a piece of tape on the outside of the enclosure.
    This ^^^*

I do that and secure the probe to the side using a hot glue gun ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dkt2k (05-12-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast