Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

0 members and 2,853 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Future display terrarium build.

So my wife and I are slowly remodeling our house and we want to build in some terrariums and aquariums, because why not. The one I want to get some input on is a corner terrarium that will be divided vertically. It's going to be a two by two right triangle four feet high approximately sixty gallons, so each side will be about thirty gallons. Since it won't be in the reptile room I'll have to either flex watt the tank so ambient temps are correct or use a UTH, I'm thinking flex watt (with a thermostat obviously). And then use a some lights for the hot spots. I'll either use a dripper or a fogger for humidity. The divider will be black or something else that the inhabitants can't see through. I plan to keep crested geckos on one side a tokay geckos on the other. I'm not sure when this will come to fruition but I'd like to get the plans completely flushed out prior to the build so I can make sure it is as safe for the little guys as possible and to make sure it looks appealing.

So does anyone think there is anything I'm missing? Any suggestions?
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    Just a few questions based on the 4 foot height.....How will the terrarium be accessed for maintenance and feeding? Considering you would need front opening enclosure due to the narrow width and taller height, you need to consider access and the closure of the access pretty closely if you intend to have a tropical setup. The front access will need to seal really well if you are going to run misters. Also, with a mister you may need to consider a possible subdrain....water in = water out...or you could end up with a flooded substrate.

I would search a few setups for dart frogs for inspiration. For tropical display vivarium, those guys have a lot of the issues worked out.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    A light would do more for the ambient temps and Flexwatt is the better choice for the hotspot.

What are you wanting to put in these? A cage that is only 2 feet wide and 4 feet tall may prove to be hard to heat.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Future display terrarium build.

I was thinking crested geckos on one side and probably only one tokay on the other.
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks

Re: Future display terrarium build.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    Just a few questions based on the 4 foot height.....How will the terrarium be accessed for maintenance and feeding? Considering you would need front opening enclosure due to the narrow width and taller height, you need to consider access and the closure of the access pretty closely if you intend to have a tropical setup. The front access will need to seal really well if you are going to run misters. Also, with a mister you may need to consider a possible subdrain....water in = water out...or you could end up with a flooded substrate.

I would search a few setups for dart frogs for inspiration. For tropical display vivarium, those guys have a lot of the issues worked out.
    Yeah I plan on having the front open up, and I know that will make things difficult but I don't know of any other way to make it accessible. Thanks for the tip on the drainage, I'm hoping to have at least one live plant in there to help with the excess water, but a drainage field with pump would probably be necessary.
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)