Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 463

1 members and 462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

First time buying from a breeder, DEPOSIT QUESTION?

Hey all!

So I already have one cat and I'm looking to add one more (and final) cat to my humble home. I know that ideally, adopting from shelters is the best way to go, and my current girl is a shelter adoptee/rescue that i got from the san diego human society three years ago (and had her travel with me cross country to chicago) and now... I think i want to try an actual breeder.

ive been in love with ragdoll cats for as long as i can remember, and ive been doing my research and ive talked to several catteries so far, and i think i finally found the one im going with! They're slotted to post pictures of the babies today and operate on a first come first serve basis, so i'm chewing my nails to ribbons hoping that i get a shot at selecting a kitten.

now the question i have is this, because i am a wee ignorant babe and have only ever used checks maybe twice... the breeder requests a 100$ deposit to hold the kitten and they only accept check or money order or cashier's check for this purpose. Is this safe? Im so used to paypal being the most secure way to send money and guarantee that you'll be able to get it back if something goes belly up... what happens if, god forbid, i get scammed? Is that money just gone forever, or is there some way to get it back?

again sorry for the ignorance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    You have to be SO careful with breeders of anything. There are a lot of scammers out there and I personally wouldn't put a deposit down on a cat or dog without PayPal unless I had a reference for the breeder that I trusted and that they let me see the parents (and the conditions they are kept in) in person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    PS- the money would be gone forever most likely if they are scammers since they tend to know how to disappear

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks
    check and see if they are a registered breeder with whatever registry the cats are registered with (TICA, REFR, CFA, etc). If they are not then be very careful if you proceed. Most breeders that are affiliated with the registry are on the up and up or they will not be able to advertise on those sites. Other than that just check into them. the more stuff they have about their cattery like a long running website with reviews, multiple liters successfully rehomed, etc the more likely they are running a successful hobby vs just a CL ad to hustle someone.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BFE Pets For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-26-2017),ladywhipple02 (01-26-2017)

Thanks

Re: First time buying from a breeder, DEPOSIT QUESTION?

Quote Originally Posted by BFE Pets View Post
    check and see if they are a registered breeder with whatever registry the cats are registered with (TICA, REFR, CFA, etc). If they are not then be very careful if you proceed. Most breeders that are affiliated with the registry are on the up and up or they will not be able to advertise on those sites. Other than that just check into them. the more stuff they have about their cattery like a long running website with reviews, multiple liters successfully rehomed, etc the more likely they are running a successful hobby vs just a CL ad to hustle someone.
    I agree with this. References are a good way to tell as well. Any good breeder of anything should be able to provide multiple references of people they've sold to before so you can check and make sure they're reputable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (02-03-2017)