Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

2 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Ball Python Feeding Guidelines

First of all, thanks for the info it's really great;moreover, I've got a question for you, I was misinformed about the ball python feeding guidelines, and thought that there was no problem if I fed my ball python monthly, she's a year and a half old and I've been feeding her once maybe twice a month for most of her life. I recently started to stick to the weekly feeding but I'm worried that this malnourishment will affect her health and growth. If I continue with these weekly feeding will she be able to grow normally and healthily?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Question New BP parent and paranoid

Is the rat in Azreal's mouth too big for him? I do realize it's late to ask as it is already being digested, but I just want to keep him happy. I was 'gifted' him and I've never had a BP. I've been reading a ton, but I just need reassurance that I'm not harming him or causing him discomfort.

The pic is my profile pic since I don't seem to be able to add pics to messages, yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Azreal is 350g, was eating 2 med mice/week.

Thanks

After successfully having my first few clutches this year and gained experience feeding proper babies rather than fed on juveniles/sub-adults I can honestly say that this chart is a god send and one of the most useful items that I have ever came across so therefore I have printed it out, laminated it, and stuck it to the door leading into my snake room as a constant reminder to myself and can only urge that others do the same. (Live in Scotland so will do my best to call them Balls in all my future posts rather than Royals).

Any people who have asked my advice on keeping Balls I have provided them the address of this forum as well as this thread as you guys are the most helpful/friendly/reliable bunch out there and I can only therefore be eternally grateful for all the support you guys provided when I first got started! Keep up the fantastic work guys and will finally be posting more regular updates/advice due to finally have a laptop compatible with my phone!

All credit goes to Eric Alan the original provider of the chart on this thread! I tip my hat off to you sir!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackS For This Useful Post:

DebbieDecker (01-28-2018),Eric Alan (10-03-2017),Godzilla78 (09-20-2017),Sunnieskys (09-20-2017)

Thanks

Question Re: Ball Python Feeding Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    As much as this topic comes up, I'm sure this guide will prove itself useful. Enjoy!
    So I've been following this chart and my 3 month old (130~ gram) python for the last 3 feedings and been feeding her a small arctic mouse from Petsmart every 7 days. She has hasn't regurgitated them but seems to have a very pointed spine? She seems to be underweight per another chart I seen online.. I haven't weighed the thawed mice yet to see if they match the grams listed on the chart above yet. the last feeding I did was 6 days apart. wanted to start her on rats soon.. so I should just start her on fuzzies? or wait till the next weight limit?

thank you

Thanks

Eric, This is perfect. I'm a first-time owner and this is SO helpful...especially because it addressed the difference between a pet (mine) and a BP that is being bred. Thank you. Thank you!

Thanks

As much as this topic comes up, I'm sure this guide will prove itself useful. Enjoy!
    My boy is 485g, and I've been feeding him small rats since I got him, which will be a year this february. Hes not skinny, I do know that. Hes my first ball python, or my first snake really, and I don't wanna mess this up. I've also been feeding him every week because i was talking to someone and they said hes too small for a year and half, I think. Should I change what I'm doing?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingscxles View Post
    My boy is 485g, and I've been feeding him small rats since I got him, which will be a year this february. Hes not skinny, I do know that. Hes my first ball python, or my first snake really, and I don't wanna mess this up. I've also been feeding him every week because i was talking to someone and they said hes too small for a year and half, I think. Should I change what I'm doing?
    Small rats WERE definitely too big for him...til now.

Don't focus on weight as much as body structure. BPs should maintain a slight triangular shape.

Many people in the pet hobby over feed their snakes and their snakes are often overweight.
    You'll also see people in the hobby try to feed their snakes larger meals to get them bigger faster, which is unhealthy for the animal.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-05-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Talking Re: Ball Python Feeding Guidelines

Thanks!

Generally speaking, though, ball pythons will do well on a once/week schedule throughout their lifetime (that is also easy for a keeper to remember what day feeding day is), which is why I kept that part in there.
    Thank you so much! This is perfect info for me. I have been feeding them weekly, on the same day usually, (and believe me, they know the day), and that's the size I have been feeding too. I am glad I don't need to go up a size. It fits my budget too.

Thank you again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234