Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

3 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Not familar with corns--got a few questions

I am interested in getting another snake-imagine that? I currently own a red tail boa named Bo. He is 8 foot and from what I was told about 3 1/2 to 4 years old. I have owned him for about 11 months. When we got him he wasn't being taken care of properly but is doing great now. I don't reall want another Boa, I don't think I do anyway, I think I want something different, something a little smaller. I have considered a ball python but I have also considered a Corn. I don't know anything at all about corns and don't even know the different types of corns.

If someone could tell me a little more about the corns I would really appreciate it. What species do you recommend and why? Do you recommend a corn over a ball or a ball over a corn and why? I am certain both are different from Boas in many different ways and I'm certain they require different things than Bo does. I'm just not quite certain of what these things are. Thats where I am hoping you can help me out. I am new to this site and I plan to read up a lot on the corns. I have spent 2 days reading up on balls but I thought I would go ahead and post this so hopefully I can be getting responses in the meantime while I am reading and researching up on corns. And if there are any other snakes you would recommend other than a ball or a corn please feel free to suggest that and why you recommend it over the others. I want another snake but I am not certain of what I would like to have but I am in no hurry to jump on the first thing I see. I really want something that looks a little different from Bo. The balls and Bo don't look exactly alike but very very close. Thats another reason why I thought of something else other than a ball. Don't get me wrong I think Bo and balls are beautiful but I think I want something a little different. I love the albinos but I can't afford one of them. And I think the snow boas are so very beautiful. I have only saw pics of them online but Lordy I can't afford one of them either. Thanks to anyone willing to help me.

Michelle

Thanks

Re: Not familar with corns--got a few questions

Well, you sure sound like you're leaning toward a corn.

Corns are great snakes. They have a Boa-like feeding response and will hardly ever miss a meal. Their disposition is generally good and they come in almost countless color morphs.

They are inexpensive. Tolerant of most husbandry errors. And are all around great snakes.

I love my BP and my Corn. You can't go wrong with either. (Balls fast sometimes. Easy on the snake- hard on the keeper).

Watever you decide, read up on the species, put together a good set-up first and go for it!

K
    2.1.0 Kidletts
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Rex)
    0.0.1 Okeetee Corn (Maizey)
    1.1.0 BCI (Lancelot & Ruby)
    0.1.0 Cat (Ginger)
    1.0.0 Pughuahua (Ranger)

Thanks

I looked into corns because they're considered easy snakes to keep, but I like the bps the best. Of course I'm slightly biased. Anyway, here's a link to the caresheet for the corns.... http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=12

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Balls and corns are both excellent snakes. Depends on what you like better. Other things to consider are the many other colubrid species and other small snakes such as kingsnakes, (california and mexican black kings are very cool) milksnakes, (pueblan, honduran, and sinaloan milks are all gorgeous) hognose snakes, (definitely unique looking) sand boas (kenyans are quite lovely and unique little boas).. and many more. Often these snakes have inexpensive morphs.. such as albino and anery.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Well. . . I decided to go with a ball instead of a corn. Hmmm. . . not sure if he's a he or she but he is what comes out so a he he is until I find out differently!! LOL! He's about 17 inches long and just so adorable!!! Gotta think of a name for him but. . . haven't been able to come up with a good name yet! Any suggestions?

Thanks

My usual name suggestion is to type "mythology names" in a search engine and pick one of those.....thats what I do
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Well. . . my ball died this morning. :-( He started flopping around and laid with his belly up and opened his mouth very big and took his sweet time closing it back and then rolled back over on his belly and then about 10 mins later he was on his back again belly up. Contacted a vet and they were gonna see him but I went to get him out of his cage to head to the vets office and he was dead. :-(

Thanks

Wow.. that sucks. Did you buy him from a pet store? If so.. this should show you how valuable reputable breeders can be! I hope you don't decide to give up because of this, I know how frustrating it is!

April

Thanks

Yes, he was bought at a pet store and I was told no warraties on snakes but after he died I called the pet store and luckily the owner was there and told me to bring him in and he would replace him. So that I did. This one seems to be doing a lot better. I brought him home put him in his cage and he explored for a while checking out both hides before settling in, in the hide on the cool side. He has poked his head out a little a couple different times and then went back inside. He is ready to shed so I need a humid hide, what seems to work the best?

Thanks

I hope you disinfected everything used with the old snake first.

For a humid hide.. just use any old plastic container (tupperware for example). Cut a hole in the side, leaving no sharp edges, and fill with damp sphagnum moss. Some use paper towels, but moss holds humidity much longer.

April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast