Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

2 members and 2,931 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Medussa the Cinnamon

Got this little gal from Petsmart on 12/09/16 (for a very nice price). The paper work they had for her says she had been there since 10/04/16, but I noticed she hadn't even had her first shed. Also, they gave me her feeding schedule that shows she fed a total of 9 times????? She wouldn't feed for me for the first 3 weeks which I attributed to stress from a new enclosure and such. I learned with another baby ball I had, that if I assist feed the first time (which she clamped down immediately and ate no problem), they usually catch on and have no problems feeding again. Anybody else have to do this with a baby ball? Was I wrong? I really don't believe she had ever had a meal before I fed her, she's very skinny but no wrinkles and her spine isn't showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Cinnamon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KaileyC For This Useful Post:

cletus (12-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Very nice!

Thanks
    If they aren't growing they won't shed. Most pet store snakes are underfed. She doesn't look too bad though. I wouldn't resort to an assist feed just yet.

It would be best to try different types of prey before an assist feed. What is she eating right now? You could try a size bigger or smaller (something as wide around as she is at ehr widest would be best). If she's on mice you could switch to rats, or visa versa. If she's on f/t try live. Also, if you are feeding f/t make sure the prey is nice and warm before you offer it to her. Sometimes temp makes all the difference.

She's a lovely snake, so congratulations! Hope she starts eating for you.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 12-29-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Registered User Ballpythonguy92's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Medussa the Cinnamon

I find it funny how they will under feed some animals and over feed others I picked up a male hypo Brooks kingsnake from pets smart and they said he eats 7 pinkies a week lol and he was tiny maybe a month old

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpythonguy92 View Post
    I find it funny how they will under feed some animals and over feed others I picked up a male hypo Brooks kingsnake from pets smart and they said he eats 7 pinkies a week lol and he was tiny maybe a month old

That's crazy. Yea I guess she's not as small as I though but since I weighed her tonight and she's not too bad off. I think she'll be okay. I really just want to call and complain because her paper work shows that she fed but I know that there is no way she's fed as much as they have on the paper.

1.0 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    If they aren't growing they won't shed. Most pet store snakes are underfed. She doesn't look too bad though. I wouldn't resort to an assist feed just yet.

It would be best to try different types of prey before an assist feed. What is she eating right now? You could try a size bigger or smaller (something as wide around as she is at ehr widest would be best). If she's on mice you could switch to rats, or visa versa. If she's on f/t try live. Also, if you are feeding f/t make sure the prey is nice and warm before you offer it to her. Sometimes temp makes all the difference.

She's a lovely snake, so congratulations! Hope she starts eating for you.
    Currently trying to feed her f/t mice which is what petsmart said she was eating. I think I'm going to try rats though. My other two bp's are on rats.

1.0 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks

I really just want to call and complain because her paper work shows that she fed but I know that there is no way she's fed as much as they have on the paper

Yea i would too when I got my kingsnake I said he shouldn't be eating that many you should have him on hoppers or even weanlings but another time I saw a cinnamon or black pastel in a cage with normals and I told the manager hey this guy should be in the other cage as he isn't a normal and he literally made a joke and said well don't tell him he's not normal lol I was surprised usually they would be all for making more money and my friend ended up getting him and you can clearly see months later he is a cinnamon or black pastel for sure I'll ask her for some pics to share

Thanks

I really just want to call and complain because her paper work shows that she fed but I know that there is no way she's fed as much as they have on the paper

Yea i would too when I got my kingsnake I said he shouldn't be eating that many you should have him on hoppers or even weanlings but another time I saw a cinnamon or black pastel in a cage with normals and I told the manager hey this guy should be in the other cage as he isn't a normal and he literally made a joke and said well don't tell him he's not normal lol I was surprised usually they would be all for making more money and my friend ended up getting him and you can clearly see months later he is a cinnamon or black pastel for sure I'll ask her for some pics to share

The sketchiest part about chain pet store buys is that you can never be 100% sure about what their traits really are! I wouldn't have said anything, I woulda paid the 'normal' price lol. I got my cinnamon for $50 which is half of what they were asking.

1.0 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks

I'd be soo happy for paying that price for one and the only reason I knew it was either cinnamon or black pastel is because the funky side patterns and the head but they also have been the first snake I ever bred was a super cinnamon to my pastel female and I got 6 cinnamons and 1 pewter lol yea great odds eh I should have got atleast 3 pewters lol but nope I'm also hoping to cross my pastel champagne with my cinnamon from the above mentioned clutch

Thanks

I'd be soo happy for paying that price for one and the only reason I knew it was either cinnamon or black pastel is because the funky side patterns and the head but they also have been the first snake I ever bred was a super cinnamon to my pastel female and I got 6 cinnamons and 1 pewter lol yea great odds eh I should have got atleast 3 pewters lol but nope I'm also hoping to cross my pastel champagne with my cinnamon from the above mentioned clutch

Nice one! I like the cinnamon pattern. I was really trying to get into the pieds but I just happened to stumble upon her and couldn't beat the price(also wanted to rescue her from the store and inexperienced associates). So now I have the cinnamon fem, enchi male, and my lesser male. I'm looking for a lesser/butter female or even Mojave. I'd like to prove my lesser.

1.0 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Cinnamon

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KaileyC For This Useful Post:

Ballpythonguy92 (12-30-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast