Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 571

2 members and 569 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

PSA for the day - Dogs as gifts

I just posted this on another site and thought I'd share here. Most of us here have a deep appreciation for the work involved in keeping our animals but that isn't the case with a lot of people. Let me know your thoughts on the below and share your own stories of being rewarded and loved by a dog(or any pet!)

"Dogs are WORK.

Our GSD Aries isn't an easy dog. He sheds. Constantly. And we take him to the groomers at least once a month, if not more often. He's smart. He figures out how to get away with things he knows he's not supposed to do without getting into trouble. He needs a job. We have to find ways to stimulate his brain throughout the winter months when he can't get out to run as much... mental stimulation is just as important as physical. He needs companionship. He's a velcro dog. If you move, he moves with you. If our other dog goes somewhere, he's going too.

Training him was not fun. It was WORK. I hated doing it. Every time he made a mess or chewed something up... I hated it more. It took over a year to get him fully trained, and he still stretches boundaries because he's a smart dog and likes to see if he can.

Don't get a dog because they're cute or because they're in a movie. Go into it with your eyes open. Yes, I hated training Aries. It's still work to make sure he's cared for and gets what he needs on a daily basis. But I am rewarded with a dog that I know will protect me and my property, who shows unending affection to me, my family, and my friends, and a dog I'm proud to have.

Dogs aren't throwaway gifts. It breaks my heart to see all these beautiful dogs who were abandoned by families they loved but who didn't love them enough to put in the work.

Put in the work. Dogs will love you through thick and thin, will be there for you when no one else is. That kind of love is worth the time and effort."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-21-2016),bcr229 (12-21-2016),GoingPostal (12-21-2016),L.West (12-21-2016),Rikoku (12-21-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (12-21-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I used to show and breed bloodhounds, and as a concerned breeder i would never , ever, sell a puppy as a gift or a surprise for someone who was not the purchaser. I refuse to sell a puppy to anyone as a christmas gift for the kids, because this holiday is too confusing, busy, and dangerous, to bring in a new puppy. I would allow people to come to my house on christmas day, and show the kids their puppy, then leave it with me till the tree and all the decorations are down then come get the new pup. I am prepared to have them , where the new family might not be ready, with the confusion of the holiday. My house is animal safe for the holidays, no tinsil, on mistletoe, no pointsetters. I love the holidays, but i love my animals more. if you want that christmas puppy, then take a picture of it and put it in a card and give the card to the kids. If you go to a breeder and they say you can have the pup for christmas day run, don't walk to another breeder. no reputable breeder lets pups go to new homes that day. I wouldn't do it with any pet, especially a dog or cat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-22-2016)