Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,476

6 members and 3,470 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Cool?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • it's cool

63 61.17%
  • it's cool but i won't admit it

5 4.85%
  • it's life

21 20.39%
  • meh

14 13.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Growing up in Hawaii I never had any experience with snakes. After moving to the mainland my girlfriend got one and I was sold. Everything about them is just so interesting to me

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    The term "cool" isn't something I'd use, though I know what you are trying to say.

Feeding can be the most rewarding interaction you have with your snake/snakes depending on your situation. Keepers of very large collections probably see feeding as a chore, and don't look forward to the next chore, which is cleaning up cages down the road.

Keepers of fewer animals may enjoy feeding. I personally like any interaction with my snakes and do enjoy feeding when things go well.

I sometimes empathize with the prey if it is live and find no satisfaction in seeing it killed. I do marvel at the snake's ability to usually dispatch the prey quickly. I prefer to feed F/T'd items but have a royal that only eats live.

I enjoy watching my snakes actions throughout the year. There are certain times of the year when feeding is frequent and other times when almost complete inactivity rules. I don't mind November to late March or April when my boa doesn't eat at all.

I tend to find I am most entertained when I see my snakes climbing, perching and preparing to feed from ambush points in their cages after the winter is over. There is some active foraging after a long winter and I enjoy seeing it.

Researching deeper, you can look at venomous snakes as more "advanced". They do not need to have prolonged contact with their prey and have little to no risk of being bitten, scratched or damaged when feeding. That is also interesting and much different than constriction. Then there are snakes like the Indigo that just tear into prey, bite it, shake it and eat it.

That may have been a little long winded but to answer your question, yes, I find the process of feeding interesting from start to finish but there are many other things about snakes that I find fascinating as well.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-15-2018),Jeffco (12-23-2016),Reinz (12-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: Admit it. It’s cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    The term "cool" isn't something I'd use, though I know what you are trying to say.

Feeding can be the most rewarding interaction you have with your snake/snakes depending on your situation. Keepers of very large collections probably see feeding as a chore, and don't look forward to the next chore, which is cleaning up cages down the road.

Keepers of fewer animals may enjoy feeding. I personally like any interaction with my snakes and do enjoy feeding when things go well.

I sometimes empathize with the prey if it is live and find no satisfaction in seeing it killed. I do marvel at the snake's ability to usually dispatch the prey quickly. I prefer to feed F/T'd items but have a royal that only eats live.

I enjoy watching my snakes actions throughout the year. There are certain times of the year when feeding is frequent and other times when almost complete inactivity rules. I don't mind November to late March or April when my boa doesn't eat at all.

I tend to find I am most entertained when I see my snakes climbing, perching and preparing to feed from ambush points in their cages after the winter is over. There is some active foraging after a long winter and I enjoy seeing it.

Researching deeper, you can look at venomous snakes as more "advanced". They do not need to have prolonged contact with their prey and have little to no risk of being bitten, scratched or damaged when feeding. That is also interesting and much different than constriction. Then there are snakes like the Indigo that just tear into prey, bite it, shake it and eat it.

That may have been a little long winded but to answer your question, yes, I find the process of feeding interesting from start to finish but there are many other things about snakes that I find fascinating as well.
    Very well said. You expressed my sentiments as well, but much more eloquently than I ever could.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-23-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It's cool.
    What I find so totally cool though is the incredibly ingenious and creative (not the right words to describe an evolutionary process, I know) ways these animals have adapted their seemingly limited body plans to their environments. That they can have this incredible dexterity and be successful predators without any limbs at all is just amazing.

Also, if you want to see something amazing, do a search for a video of a reticulate python chasing monkeys up a tree.

Thanks

I think so now! But a few years ago I thought it was awful and disgusting. Thing is, I never had anything against snakes themselves, I thought they were awesome when I was young(er), I used to catch, and sometimes still do, garter snakes out in my yard, and would get upset when my relatives would come over and try to hurt them. (And that's how one of my uncles got a black eye. Thankfully, he understood, apologized, and has learned more about them, so he isn't afraid of them anymore!) Anyway, I used to hate feeding snakes mice, but now I think it's cool, and I love feeding my baby BP!

Thanks
    Funny you mention this. I love watching my guy strike, coil and eat. I love how fascinating nature created this animal that swallows its prey whole. (I'm fascinated by nature in general)

My wife isn't a big snake fan. Together besides our fur babies, we've owned lizards and frogs and she liked them all. But the snake even though she knows he's a harmless BP she just had this internal little fear about them. I've only had my guy since September and Xmas weekend was the first time my wife ever held him. The first time I fed him when I got him, my wife said she didn't want to watch. But curiosity got to her and she came in to watch. Even though she's not a snake fan, she was completely intrigued and fascinated watching him eat. She watches me feed him almost every week now.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I'm mostly blown away by how efficient they are when killing live prey. I've only had to feed live a few times, and most of my kids switch right over to f/t without problems, but sometimes when I get a new baby from a breeder they're still feeding live. It's pretty amazing to see even at that size how perfect their instincts are; from strike to coil to final breath and consuming, it's over in seconds, and the prey has no clue what hit it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    feeding time is my least favorite part of snake ownership.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I'm mostly blown away by how efficient they are when killing live prey. I've only had to feed live a few times, and most of my kids switch right over to f/t without problems, but sometimes when I get a new baby from a breeder they're still feeding live. It's pretty amazing to see even at that size how perfect their instincts are; from strike to coil to final breath and consuming, it's over in seconds, and the prey has no clue what hit it.
    Def agree with that. I stand by my initial response to this thread but to see them in feeding mode is impressive. My girl is quite possibly the most passive snake I've ever seen. She doesn't like her head touched but other than that, it's like she is stoned most of the time. Until she smells food. She is like Jaws when she smells a rat. Once she is done eating she cruises around the enclosure in feeding mode for a while and then goes back into bong hits on the couch mode. Very impressive feeding response. So happy I don't have to beg her to eat like some do.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    blood was dribbling down. it was pretty cool. i wish i grabbed a vid or gif'ed it. it was an cool second death for the rodent!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-15-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast