Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

0 members and 2,890 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Cool?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • it's cool

63 61.17%
  • it's cool but i won't admit it

5 4.85%
  • it's life

21 20.39%
  • meh

14 13.59%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Yeah, but at the same time rodents are kinda gross. I fell in love with snakes when I was a kid, from Florida to California. But I never liked rats or mice, or for that matter any rodent like creature. But yeah I like my snakes enough to realize that’s part of the process. Yes it is fascinating, and your blood drip post made me laugh. So there’s my two cents, plus the whole what goes in, comes out theory was unintentionally humorous too.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I had various pet rodents in my life well before I got into snakes, and was sorta surprised that I became so fascinated by snakes. But that was
    many years & many snakes ago. I like all kinds of animals...I think I was drawn to snakes because they get so much hate & misunderstanding.

Feeding is still cool, though I feed pre-killed* both for snake safety & kindness to prey. *only with rare & temporary exceptions for w/c snakes.

What I think is the BEST thing about snakes is that they are both awesome natural predators one minute & cuddly pets with personality the next.
    And I really respect their instincts that allow them to survive so well in the wild...they don't have it easy, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Admit it. It’s cool.

I think it's cool the animal is happy to eat and I enjoy watching them enjoy their meal.

If it was a live animal dying in front of me it would diminish the good feelings while adding nothing from my perspective. I understand the natural cycle but I don't keep snakes because I enjoy killing rats.

I keep snakes because I like snakes.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-25-2018),hilabeans (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Admit it. It’s cool.

I’ve kept mice, rats, and hamsters as pets. With that in mind, I don’t find it cool exactly, but snakes are fascinating animals...every aspect of their care. Mostly I’m happy when they eat and get kinda stressed when they don’t. I must admit it’s a bit funny when they grab one and eat it backwards, and I’m always impressed with their feeding response.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    So at first I liked watching the live prey feeding. The unsuspecting mouse bouncing around and then Bam! Game over.
    I do like to watch them feed but more because it’s so amazing to watch an entire creature be swallowed whole although now it’s F/T. I’m more motivated by the cheaper price and convenience than the death of a rodent. The safety of the snake is a concern but I would think that’s more of a risk as both prey and snake get larger.
    I have fed live the first three to five feedings with all my snakes and transition over. Since I have babies I will say baby Boa’s have a crazy feeding response. No hesitation, unlike the BP’s that may watch it for a little bit then strike. My Boa’s waste no time.
    There are a lot of other reasons I have snakes though and the feeding aspect is fairly low on the list of why.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-26-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234