Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

1 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Your opinions are greatly appreciated...

Yea...I know stickys are no good but they've been on there and it's just a quarantine tank. I was told this guy was started but it has been a trial by fire...especially since this is my 1st bp in about 10 yrs!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratikal View Post
    Yea...I know stickys are no good but they've been on there and it's just a quarantine tank. I was told this guy was started but it has been a trial by fire...especially since this is my 1st bp in about 10 yrs!
    It's not it has not even had it's first shed yet so QT tank or not un-started BP have very specific needs and if not met you will have a VERY hard time getting it started.

Getting a BP out of the egg when it's your first is a bad idea and if you don't listen to advice you will have a very hard time.

Again get rid of the gauges, by a digital one take the temperature at the bottom of the enclosure and provide damp paper towel as substrate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-29-2016)

Thanks

I use a temp gun and I guess I should've posted a bigger pic of the tank rather than a close up of the snake lol
    The "husbandry" is correct with a higher humidity (70%) level and a cool spot 79 degrees with a 91 degree basking spot and ambient air temp of 86-88 degrees...there are two hides but I removed the one he was under for the pic....
    I just had some terrarium carpet and it works great with a tank pad underneath, soaking the carpet to produce a higher humidity. Paper towel and newspaper tend to be a better culture for bacteria and the ink on the newspaper isn't very good either consideringt the look on your fingers if you've read one...just seems more sanitary and easier to clean
    I actually saw the whole clutch and both parents, some pretty unique patterns and colors. There were two like this but the other was double his size with a kink 3/4 of the way down and didn't survive...there were 3 others that were close to normal but with mahogany sides and pastel yellow on top. The male I have has a bright pastel yellow sides to head and neck thru his back with a orange blush almost rosy flesh on his sides...I wasn't worried so much about his genes just loved the colors. I do have a question, in your experience, from hatch to 1st shed what kind of average time frame?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratikal For This Useful Post:

skueppers (01-28-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hatclings out of the egg (pre-shed)) need a damp (I am mean soaked) substrate (not dry with high huidity) and paper towel allows that without harboring bacteria like caret so it is the opposite of your thinking.

Hatch date to first shed you are looking at 10 to 14 days for an healthy animal, animal with issues or sometime the exception may take longer up to several weeks (rare), usually once they shed they get their first meal (live hopper mouse), now if the animal does not shed within 10 to 14 days you need to feed around that time as you cannot wait weeks for it to shed.
    Deborah Stewart

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I like the flames but not seeing an fire or remote sign of a head stamp at all.
    Also no blushing that a quality pastel should have.
    Pet, yes. Breeder, no. Sorry

Thanks

I apologize...I didn't get him out of the egg. I did see his whole clutch due to the breeder still having them. He is eating two fresh pinkies every 3-4 days currently. I tried the damp paper towel but he would sit on top of the hides and didn't seem to like it. I would go to set him back on it after cleaning and he would throw himself towards the hide, didn't want to touch ground. He actuallyi s quite active with carpet and it's a quicker cleanup. I thought I read that a higher humidity was better during shed phase for an easier transition out...maybe I was mistaken?!

Thanks

Definitely has a solid head...no stamp! I wasn't so much interested in breeding being that this is my 1st ball in 10 yrs...I just loved the colors lol so yes, he's a beautiful pet. I wish I would've took pics of the clutch. There were two like this, the other didn't make it "Kinked"...there were 3 with a bright pastel yellow around the head and back with mahogany sides almost a deep cinnamon, a couple regular pastels, a couple lesser looking pastels, and 2 that looked like the 3 mahogany but we're lighter with higher whites along the sides...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I apologize...I didn't get him out of the egg. I did see his whole clutch due to the breeder still having them. He is eating two fresh pinkies every 3-4 days currently. I tried the damp paper towel but he would sit on top of the hides and didn't seem to like it. I would go to set him back on it after cleaning and he would throw himself towards the hide, didn't want to touch ground. He actuallyi s quite active with carpet and it's a quicker cleanup. I thought I read that a higher humidity was better during shed phase for an easier transition out...maybe I was mistaken?!
    This is an animal out of the egg under 14 days which requires a different setup than a BP after their first shed. (unless of course this is an old picture)

How do I know? Because this is the only time in a BP's life that a BP will have a shiny skin, after their first shed their skin will NEVER look like this again.

You also do not feed pinkies to a BP, out of the egg they can take hoppers and move quickly through sizes.

If the BP sits on the top of it's hides this means they do not provide enough security nothing to do with damp paper towel, and if he is active this means the setup is off which re0iforce the first behaviour. Again DAMP PAPER TOWEL at this stage is very important.

This is what should be done to a T except that the aspen should be replaced with DAMP PAPER TOWEL. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101

This is VERY important again this animal has not had his first shed, and is not established and you could set yourself up for FAILURE.

You have all the info now the ball is in your camp.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (12-17-2016),distaff (12-29-2016),Eric Alan (12-17-2016),PokeyTheNinja (12-29-2016)

Thanks

Actually this will be his 2nd shed ...2 reasons why the skin is so shiny, I adusted the pic to increase contrast and temp which highlights the warmwwater he was just bathed in while I cleaned his last stool and plug from the tank... Took the sticky s out tho
    Don't know if I mentioned before but I do use heatgguns for accurate temps and have a herpstat on the other side of the tank lol I guess a pic is worth a thousand assumptions. Was pretty blown away how crucial people were about the surroundings rather than my question asking opinions about the snake. Next time I hold him during picture time, instead of placing him in the tank and snapping a few pics...
    I do have one other question: have you ever heard of rubbing a snake with vegetable oil? The breeder did this before I left and said he does it once a month to protect against mites and procure better sheds? He said if the snake has mites, they will come off in your hand from the vegetable or olive oil...a herp DVM told him about the trick.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Actually this will be his 2nd shed ...2 reasons why the skin is so shiny, I adusted the pic to increase contrast and temp which highlights the warmwwater he was just bathed in while I cleaned his last stool and plug from the tank... Took the sticky s out tho
    Don't know if I mentioned before but I do use heatgguns for accurate temps and have a herpstat on the other side of the tank lol I guess a pic is worth a thousand assumptions. Was pretty blown away how crucial people were about the surroundings rather than my question asking opinions about the snake. Next time I hold him during picture time, instead of placing him in the tank and snapping a few pics...
    I do have one other question: have you ever heard of rubbing a snake with vegetable oil? The breeder did this before I left and said he does it once a month to protect against mites and procure better sheds? He said if the snake has mites, they will come off in your hand from the vegetable or olive oil...a herp DVM told him about the trick.
    I give up

There is no amount of photoshop, camera setting, photo editing that can make a snake let alone two (I saw the other animal as well ) look like a pre-shed animal especially without altering the background.

Again you got talked into buying non established animals that have not shed.

As for oil I could also tell you not to use oil because it will lead to scale loss but obviously if you do not listen to what you are being told regarding unestablished animal I doubt you will listen to what I have to say about mite treatment.

Oh and a BP should not be bathed either especially not prior to shed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-17-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (12-17-2016),distaff (12-29-2016),Mshuntjump (01-08-2017),PitOnTheProwl (12-17-2016),PokeyTheNinja (12-29-2016)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast