Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

1 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New AP cage clarifications

My new AP cage just arrived today and I have a few questions before I start setting it up. I have read all of the guides on here and they were extremely helpful, there are just a few questions I have left.

1. when I use foil tape to affix the UTH to the outside, do I just cover the edges, or the whole thing?
    2. Do I remove the plastic sheet that protects the sticky side of the UTH first?
    3. What is the best thing to use to lift the cage enough for the UTH to breath? I was thinking furniture coasters, but they are only about 1/4 an inch thick.
    4. Will the fumes from the sealant affect my snake while it cures (I live in a tiny three room apt with no doors so the fumes are strong there is no way to close off the snake from the smell).
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    1. I cover the sides so it is secure. You don't need to cover the middle and if you don't have a roll of aluminum tape laying around, you can just use the tape they give you and cover the 4 corners as long as the cage is sitting on a flat surface so the heat tape can't move.

2. Sticky side? Are you using a Zoo med? I wouldn't use those for a PVC cage. You want actual Flexwatt, THG, Ultratherm or Flukers heat tape or mats. They are basically heat tape sandwiched between clear plastic.

3. I leave my cages on the table with no air gap and its fine. If you want an air gap, just use the furniture coasters. You only need about 1/8"

4. The smell isn't good for them. I sealed 3 cages at once in my house and it smelled lol. I ran a box fan to circulate the air out. All my snakes are fine but as for it sitting stagnant in your apt, not sure that's the best idea. Not to mention the stuff isn't good for you to inhale either lol. I would say let it dry on a deck but its pretty cold out so it probably would take forever for it to cure or it might not cure at all if its too cold. Maybe find the least occupied part of the apt and leave a window cracked and run a box fan to blow the air outside.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-16-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: New AP cage clarifications

I don't have the UTH yet, I was looking at Ultratherm - just curious, why not Zoomed?

It's going to be really hard to leave a window open, It's currently 19*F outside, also I'd worry that someone will steal it if I leave it out on the porch......how many days does it take to set? I may be able to take in to work and set it up there...hmmm

Also, is the sealant just water/leak/humidity proofing or is the sealant what holds the tank together. I have not actually opened the box yet, I'm still at work until 7am
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 12-16-2016 at 10:42 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Ultratherm is a good choice. I have several.

When securing a uth I place one piece of tape on each of the three sides without the cord. On large mats I'll add tape to the cord side as well.

If you go with a ZooMed it will come with four small rubber pieces to give the cage clearance of the uth. Also with this choice you should put foil on the uth's sticky side. Then you can tape it on with foil tape so you can more easily take it off if it is ever needed.

You need to let the cage cure and be completely done before adding the snake.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I don't have the UTH yet, I was looking at Ultratherm - just curious, why not Zoomed?

It's going to be really hard to leave a window open, It's currently 19*F outside, also I'd worry that someone will steal it if I leave it out on the porch......how many days does it take to set? I may be able to take in to work and set it up there...hmmm

Also, is the sealant just water/leak/humidity proofing or is the sealant what holds the tank together. I have not actually opened the box yet, I'm still at work until 7am
    The cage comes with screws. The sealant is to just seal it. It took me about 4-5 days for the smell to go away.

Zoo Med ones have a thick rubber coating on them. "Real" heat tape is pretty much paper thin. Its the heating element sandwiched between 2 pieces of clear plastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The Zoomed style uth are made with a heated wire zig zagging between the two pieces of plastic. They are not as uniform in heat delivery and the wire inside can break causing portions to not work correctly if it is bent or folded.

Ultratherm uth are really nice and a great choice. However if you already bought a Zoomed it will work.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    If you bought a Zoo Med one, return it haha. You really don't want to have to mess with the cage once you get it set up. But yeah, pretty much what KMG said about the technical side of the Zoo Med ones.

And I actually had one short and melt a little hole in the rubber casing that I was using to heat my dubia roach bin so if it is a Zoo Med and you are using it, FOR SURE give it an air gap or risk a fire. I got lucky with mine shorting out and just turning off.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-17-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies. I have one last question, I promise. I will probably be getting the ultratherm UTH, but I'm not sure it will work with the type of thermostat that I have. I have been using the Zilla brand thermostats that clicks on and off when it reaches the set temperature (one is currently running a CHE, the other is a spare that I would use on the UTH).

I know that RHP are the usual recommended method of heating, but I'm old fashioned and like my CHE's for ambient temps.

Thanks
    On/off t-stat will work with heat tape. Just the temp swing will be larger but for heat tape which heats up pretty fast, shouldn't be a problem. The biggest thing in t-stats is you want ones with "safeties" like Herpstats and VE.

Thanks

By safeties, do you mean that they shut off at a certain temperature or is there some other safety feature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast