Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

2 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User farmer1911 45ACP's Avatar
    Thanks

ASF breeder problems

Soooo I got 3.7 breeder group of asfs on the end of Oct., seperetated them into 1.2,1.2,1.3 colonies so far the only one producing is the 1.3 and that is where the problem lies the first litter was amazing 14 babies all healthy grew fast and than they had one more litter and ate 11 of the old litter babies but the babies were big like the size of a hopper already ? their water nipple was working and they had food(kent&seed) and the male has his side chewed pretty bad for the past few weeks. plus the 2nd colony has had only 1 litter so far of 5 babies the got ate right and the third colony hasnt produced anything Anyhelp would be very appreciated(each colony is kept in ars mouse breeder bin)
    Thank You

Thanks

Re: ASF breeder problems

Anyone?

Thanks

I've raised them on and off for 5 years. What were you feeding? Sounds like something may be off with the food? What is Kent? I always used Lab Bloc but still had issues like what you described from time to time. If it happens twice in a row, I always fed off the colony and started another.
    0.1 Normal (Bella)
    1.0 Het Russo (Felix)
    0.1 Het Russo (Alisha)
    1.0 Pewter (Rocco)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Janine)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Blanco)
    0.1 Black Pastel (Blackie)

http://www.iherp.com/bivman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bivman View Post
    I've raised them on and off for 5 years. What were you feeding? Sounds like something may be off with the food? What is Kent? I always used Lab Bloc but still had issues like what you described from time to time. If it happens twice in a row, I always fed off the colony and started another.
    kentrodent19%andbirdseed

Thanks
    Seems like some kind of stress factor but i have never worked with ASF. i would remove the male right before the females give birth and maybe try separating the females into their own cages until the pups have a layer of fur growing before reintroducing them back to the colony.

Thanks
    sounds like a problem I had when I first started and used anything i could get to feed them. Switch to a rodent lab block and you have way less issues. ( sorry took so long to reply) Offer some other things to eat if you can old stale cereal and such.
    I also consider getting some young fresh blood and build new colonies.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (01-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by farmer1911 45ACP View Post
    Soooo I got 3.7 breeder group of asfs on the end of Oct... the first litter was amazing... then they had one more litter and ate 11 of the old litter babies... the male has his side chewed pretty bad ...
    You got this group as adults or as pups? Did you ask the person you got them from what food they were receiving? Is it different from what you are feeding? I'm wondering if they might have been receiving adequate protein with the former owner which led to a good 1st litter but then as protein levels in their bodies decreased they turned to cannibalism.

I'm finding our ASFs to be much more carnivorous vs our Norways. When we started them on a very high protein dry dog food they stopped eating the corn and rice we were offering. Our Norways won't touch the dog food as long as there's corn & rice. There are 2 youtube vids that recommend very high protein.

I hope you can work it out. keep us updated.