Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

1 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: what could this be?

I agree with it being a Pastel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Low quality pastel.
    This is my thought, as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    This is my thought, as well.
    I can see that . When does a nice looking normal become a poor looking Pastel ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I can see that . When does a nice looking normal become a poor looking Pastel ??
    This will be a terrible description, and I really hope someone better are explaining things will chime in . . . But here goes nothing . . .

Of course, a nice normal doesn't "become" a poor pastel -- there are nice normals that look better than the pastel in this thread (which may be in shed, looking at it again). A pastel is always genetically a pastel, with one copy of the pastel gene.

Pastels have a look that goes beyond color. They get a lot of credit as a color morph, but they are a pattern morph, as well. It kinda comes down to looking at a lot of snakes and developing an "eye" for mutations. That's the big thing.

Many, if not most, pastels will have flames and/or some degree of blushing throughout the pattern.

Pastels tend to have a different look to their alien heads, even reduced pastels. The general look of the face will be lighter and the nose is almost always pale -- the dark area of the muzzle usually doesn't come all the way down to the heat pits at full color, if that makes sense. The ocular and nasal stripes on a pastel tend to be lighter relative to the color of the main alien heads to a greater degree than in a normal. Often, it's the same color or lighter than the best part of the snake's blotches. Similar with the dorsal markings, albeit less strikingly. Pastels frequently have a "brown-out line" through their lateral markings. The one in this thread has it a little, poorly, and quite low on the body.

Then, of course, the eye tends to be lighter. Pastels' eyes are greenish, from grey-green to hazel-green. There will be orange around the pupil in some. They really remind me of true hazel eyes in a person, color-wise. There will be a dark line through the iris.

That's all I can immediately articulate. Like I say, hopefully someone better at wording things will chime in and clear up what I'm sure I've missed

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Insane (12-11-2016),Zincubus (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    I really, really appreciate the comments and thoughts. I didn't expect so many!

So this snake is labeled as one of those fancy things from Petsmart. A good petsmart, one with care for their animals. He looks like he's coming into a shed soon, but I wasnt totally sure. The employee I talked to said that their "fancy" stuff comes from a list, and the vendor doesn't tell them which morph it is.

I got to see the list, and a bunch of morphs are on it. If it's not a normal, my thought was low quality calico. It didn't quite pick up, but the pink color of the sides. It's more of a pink color, but it's fading out now.

My first thought was that it was a fancy normal, and that the total fit it. I came back after thinking about the high pink and wondered if it was a sugar or a calico.

I didn't think of a low quality pastel. If I did get it, it would be in 3 more months when they drop the price. I just thought that was neat. I like the dripping side markings. I'm new to ball python stuff sp everything is cool to me, lol.

Thanks for this forum, and thanks for putting up with me. ☺

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12