Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 541

1 members and 540 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Corallus Caninus FORTAZ , PANACUR , REPTOBOOST treatment.

Hello, as some of you know I been having problems with my juvenile emerald tree boa.
    Long story short, he's not eating,losing weight,became very dehydrated
    went to the vet and after 300$ we came back home with FORTAZ and PANACUR and (REPTOBOOST bought separately.)
    Started REPTOBOOST once every 2/3 day. Today was my 4th dosage.
    Started FORTAZ (intramuscular)once every 3 days. Today was my second dosage.
    Started PANACUR once a day for 3 days and then repeat after 2 weeks same process. Today was 2nd dosage.

I did notice he's a bit more alert.but other than that I don't see any obvious changes I'm not sure when to start offering food, should I wait till he finishes the treatment or while he's on it try to feed him, the nurse said to try feed him today, but as she said she's not very familiar with ETBs mostly ball pythons not arboreals, I really want to see what happenes if I try to feed him tonight.
    What do you guys think I should do? Try feed him tonight or just wait a bit more, I mean REPTOBOOST should give him all or most of the nutritional needs and should induce to eat again I don't know what to do guys.
    All advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Corallus Caninus FORTAZ , PANACUR , REPTOBOOST treatment.

Congrats that he's on the mend. I would double check with the vet on when to start him on feedings of solids again. Unless the nurse can verify that the doctor wants him to start on the timeline that she stated. Usually if a animal is being treated for dehydration along with other debilitating issues they have to rehydrate first and that's where the fluid therapy of reptiboost and water come in.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    To me, nothing here suggests this snake is currently on the mend. If you want some help, from those of us that keep arboreal, specifically caninus, provide some background to the animal, a photo would also be good to gauge condition,a photo of the setup along with a description of temps at basking and cool end, humidity, etc., and finally what it is being offered to eat and when.

I am more than happy to offer advice as I have kept and bred these in the past. Currently I only keep Corallus ruschenbergerii.

Warren

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren_Booth For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
    To me, nothing here suggests this snake is currently on the mend. If you want some help, from those of us that keep arboreal, specifically caninus, provide some background to the animal, a photo would also be good to gauge condition,a photo of the setup along with a description of temps at basking and cool end, humidity, etc., and finally what it is being offered to eat and when.

I am more than happy to offer advice as I have kept and bred these in the past. Currently I only keep Corallus ruschenbergerii.

Warren
    Well, actually OP first statement that the animal has a more alert mental state is certainly a improvement. One of the first systems to change in a ill or injured animal on the mend is its level of consciousness and or responsiveness.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Pros I noticed...
    he's very much more alert, also he's got stronger, he's jaw seems stronger when I try to open his mouth to tube him down meds not a lot of night movement but alert...
    cons till now... NONE

Thanks
    With Emeralds, I have seen many perk up right before death. They are a weird animal (probably not what you want to here). Two major things will really be an indicator of the animals health. 1) is it perching correctly. Tight coil, head tucked on top or in center, and 2) when you mist it, does water bead nicely on its skin. In regards to food, the best clue that your snake will eat, is that at night it will perch with its head downwards. This is a sign that it is waiting for a rodent to walk past and a sign of a willingness to eat.

These can be affected by health, but also strongly by the enclosure set up, heat, humidity, etc.

Warren

Thanks
    i notice that ever since I started treating him with the meds he doesn't coil tightly anymore he's perching really wide not the normal cinnamon bun style I'm sure that has to be because of the meds because it's new it's been happening ever since treatment started that's the con side of what I can visualize meanwhile he flicker his tongue much more now seems more alert.

Thanks

How is he kept? All of this information can help generate answers. If you want help/advise that is.

Warren

Thanks
    Looking at your pictures, if that is the setup you have the Emerald in still, I would recommend a few changes. The first is the light. Reduce that to either a red build, or change it to a ceramic heat emitter. I assume the lights are you form of heat and that they are on a dimming thermostat. What temps are they set to. What temperature is it perching at? Are you offering it live or dead prey? How are you humidifying it? Based on the condensation that suggests a lack of air flow, and while there are plants, they will not turn over the air fast enough for that. You might want to open some ventilation. Light, heat, and humidity can all create stress, which may eliminate feeding response. It is likely a wild caught snake, so you might want to add an arboreal water bowl also.

Warren

Thanks
    That's old set up. I dismantled everything and just use puppy pads now because I had mites, it's been 2 weeks without seeing a mite so it looks like I succeeded but Once I'm 100% sure about being mites free I'll switch my bedding to something that holds up humidity well.

SETTINGS:

Temperature.

Hot perch.
    88.1 right side.
    81.6 center.
    80.2 left side.

Cold perch.
    79.3 right side.
    78.0 center.
    75.9 left side.

Vine.
    71.2 right side.
    70.8 center.
    70.0 left side.

Cage floor.
    68-69 F^.

Water bowl: 69.7 Ft

Humidity. 80%-90% 24/7
    Reptifogger
    60 watts red heat bulb on 24/7
    T8 flourecent lightning 12 hours on 12 hours off

Will post pictures.
    Last edited by Panic2336; 12-11-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast